Post-Apocalyptic Hero -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Re: Post-Apocalyptic Hero -- What Do *You* Want To See?

I've always wanted to see:

• Prewar extraterrestrial (or extrasolar) colonies sending expeditions back to Earth to figure out what happened (the players would play the explorers)

• Far future (500+ YPA*) high P.A. after they've re-created things like democracy and high technology, and are now out exploring the galaxy and finding planets to colonize. Perhaps meeting up with human colonists elsewhere.

* = Years Post Apocalypse

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wanted to see:

[*]Prewar extraterrestrial (or extrasolar) colonies sending expeditions back to Earth to figure out what happened (the players would play the explorers)

Like the comic The Barren Earth? Started as a back-up feature in Warlord then got it's own mini-series. Wish this link had some art, but losts of plot ideas to mine http://www.fanzing.com/mag/fanzing37/feature2.shtml

Like the comic The Barren Earth? Started as a back-up feature in Warlord then got it's own mini-series. Wish this link had some art' date=' but losts of plot ideas to mine http://www.fanzing.com/mag/fanzing37/feature2.shtml[/quote']

Yeah, that's pretty cool. A lot like that. :D

Edit: I always wanted to run a game with Star Frontiers explorers landing on Earth of Gamma World...

Yeah, that's pretty cool. A lot like that. :D

Edit: I always wanted to run a game with Star Frontiers explorers landing on Earth of Gamma World...

And I'd still love to get my hands on a copy of Metamorphosis Alpha....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thanks I should just "wing it" and do a Hero version and call it Metamorphosis Beta....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thanks I should just "wing it" and do a Hero version and call it Metamorphosis Beta....

Metamorphosis Alpha is a direct steal from Heinlein's book Orphans of the Sky, and the game system is poo. Just use HERO.

Lucius Alexander

I saw a copy on e-bay recently. I think it's the updated version though (still James Ward's material).

Metamorphosis Alpha is a direct steal from Heinlein's book Orphans of the Sky' date=' and the game system is poo. Just use HERO.[/quote']

I can't speak to how poo the system is, but yeah. It's my understanding that Gamma World is, systemwise, descended from it and D&D. If you put Gamma World on a generation ship and play it in Hero, you're not too far off.

Edited, so as not to skew my own results: This is, as far as I can tell, the longest "What do *you* want to see?" thread ever, beating out Fantasy Hero by 45 postings so far, and the second longest thread started by Steve Long. Scientifically meaningless maybe, but it makes me feel good about the prospects for this book. :D

Edited, so as not to skew my own results: This is, as far as I can tell, the longest "What do *you* want to see?" thread ever, beating out Fantasy Hero by 45 postings so far

Hmmm, interesting. Well, I'm just about done with the first draft, giving me several days to edit and revise pre-Origins, so perhaps I'll post some more tidbits and teasers if I can find the time. Just to whet the ol' gamin' appetite, dontcha know. :hex:

Steve,

Regarding the 'Tobacco Road' idea... thank you from the bottom of my heart. I hope that you actually have time to include this, especially as a model for 'apocalypsizing' your favorite city. I'm going to the gas station and getting a map of Philly now. :thumbup:

Can't wait to see the final product... I only wish that we could see some of the concept art (and the cover) before it publishes, but I'm sure it will be well worth the wait.

Well, maybe if we get the chance we can post the cover. IIRC Andy was able to get Klaus Scherwinski, who did the cover for Hudson City, to do it -- he happened to contact us almost at the very minute we were beginning to think about the cover, asking if we had any work he might be interested in. That was just a little while ago, though, so as yet I, at least, have seen nothing concept-wise.

Well' date=' maybe if we get the chance we can post the cover. IIRC Andy was able to get Klaus Scherwinski, who did the cover for [i']Hudson City,[/i] to do it -- he happened to contact us almost at the very minute we were beginning to think about the cover, asking if we had any work he might be interested in. That was just a little while ago, though, so as yet I, at least, have seen nothing concept-wise.

Maybe Mr. Lincoln will help motivate him to move faster on it. Know what I mean? ;)

That would be ultra-cool if you could post it when it arrives. Thanks for considering it!

Lucius Alexander

I still had mine in a box in the garage. Sorta lame in retrospect. I would rather adapt Gamma World concepts to Hero.

Say, Steve, will there be any sort of mention in the "Star Hero" cross-genre discussion on "the fall of intergalactic society," such as seen in the first season of "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda"?

Not in any great detail, no.

Well, good news! I got up early and wrote up Tobacco Road, so that'll go into Chapter Four. It's short, a little shy of 3,000 words, but should provide a good, simple example of how to "apocalyze" your hometown. ;) I even added a little table of rules defining different road conditions and how they affect your Combat Driving rolls. :eg:

Well' date=' good news! I got up early and wrote up [i']Tobacco Road,[/i] so that'll go into Chapter Four. It's short, a little shy of 3,000 words, but should provide a good, simple example of how to "apocalyze" your hometown. ;) I even added a little table of rules defining different road conditions and how they affect your Combat Driving rolls. :eg:

Right on! Very cool. :thumbup:

I know you're going to discus different ways to end the world. I thing you should arrange them by arctype. For example:

Monster Apocalypse Zombies are the most famous here, but others are possible. Aliens have been mentioned on this thread, and Reign of Fire was an example of dragons ending the world. Several Our-robots-are-killing-us apocalypses have been made. Basically, all this kind of apocalypse needs is a breed of monster that appears and becomes to prevalent to fight back. Fomorians storming New York! The faries have started stealing babies, and you'd best hope your bullets are dull and tarnished, because the leprechauns steal anything shiney. (irish monster apocalypse)

I have a fondness for the idea of Werewolf Apocalypse (as compared to Werewolf:the Apocalypse). Just take the old idea of lycanthropy being spread by werewolf bite and firewall it -- the werewolves bite dozens of people, who change, and bite even more...

And with characters -- mutant animals. There must be guidelines to make mutant animals.

Well' date=' good news! I got up early and wrote up [i']Tobacco Road,[/i] so that'll go into Chapter Four. It's short, a little shy of 3,000 words, but should provide a good, simple example of how to "apocalyze" your hometown. ;) I even added a little table of rules defining different road conditions and how they affect your Combat Driving rolls. :eg:

Awesome! have Rep.

Apocalyze my hometown?:angel:

Place I grew up did that to itself just fine.:sneaky:

I think I might have found it. Or, something like it, anyway.

Here's the (London?) Times article link:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article668846.ece

And here's a link to a graphic that doesn't seem to be linkable from the article any more (or, at least, any easy way I could find):

http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,351113,00.jpg

Finally getting caught up on this thread. (My online time has been very limited of late.) It doesn't look like anyone linked to the original New Scientist article that the Times article was covering, so here it is:

http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/mg19225731.100-imagine-earth-without-people.html

It also talks specifically about Pripyat (Chernobyl town) -- a somewhat more credible source than Biker Girl. ;)