Post-Apocalyptic Hero -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Re: Post-Apocalyptic Hero -- What Do *You* Want To See?

To be fair, the apocalypse features very little in the film which has a functioning (if stagnant) society. In the book, it features not at all, because there isn't one. If anything, the first Logan's Run book was closer to Cyberpunk than Post-Apoc.

Keith "Subsequent Logan books were not as good" Curtis

The TV show seems post-apoc, given it features what its like for the outsiders and that things used to be better.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Steve and hello everyone. I am new to these boards (although I lurk from time to time) and I felt like I needed to voice my opinion on this urgent matter.

:)

I have been looking forward to a non-d20 PnP game that retains the spirit of the Fallout computer games, for a long time. In particular, I have been looking for a game that uses a semi-realistic approach to mutations without resorting to the fantastic abilities resembling comic book superpowers seen in games such as Gamma World. i.e. I love the mutant zombies, mutated giant animals, and physically enhanced humans but not so keen on "psychic ability" or "laser ray" mutations.

I must second what others have said.. that as far as obtaining the right "feel" for a post-apocalyptic setting, Fallout has done it better than anybody else and is an excellent springboard for ideas.

Furthermore, I am hoping that certain Fallout traits/advantages that would be appropriate for a post-apolcalyptic setting such as "Fast Metabolism"(offers less resistance to radiation/poison but one heals quicker) or "Drug Reliant/Resistant" have their equivalents in P-A Hero.

In regards to mutations taken at character creation, I would hope to see varying degrees of mutations presented, from the mild to the wild (I place Gamma World here). I'd also like to see a list of Physical Limitations for non-beneficial mutations, and maybe suggestions on how to balance beneficial and non-beneficial mutations for different campaign types. The latest version of Gamma World talks about requiring any mutant character to take a certain number of drawback mutations, so you don't get to just take beneficial mutations.

Maybe some campaigns could be done with a ratio structure of some kind to provide balance of beneficial to non-beneficial mutations: for every two Real Points spent on beneficial mutations, the character needs to take one point of Physical Limitations representing non-beneficial ones. By taking Physical Limitation mutations, it brings things more into the PA realm and away from a more superhero/X-Men theme.

The most important thing, is to not limit the GMs ideas, but to empower them. Some people don't like the wild and gonzo Gamma World mutations, some people want to play walking talking plants. Some people want a more limited choice in mutations, physical abilities, not telekinesis or laser eyes, some people want mutant faeries (called Lils in Gamma World, a favorite of mine that the D20 version of Gamma World didn't have). Some people want serious repercussions for radiation, with sickness, deformity, and death; and some people don't want any of that, wishing a more down to earth Mad Max (Redline) rather than Darwin's World.

A generic RPG should empower a GM to run the game however he wants... and Hero rule-books have always been good about providing the most options. I'm certain that mutations will be able to be designed along the gamut from deadly and horrifying to Super hero to just plain wierd (gonzo). That's what I am looking forward to seeing.

david

If you can find that site again' date=' Bill, [i']please[/i] send me a link. It would be worth taking a look at to see if it's sufficiently well-researched and presented to be a reliable source for that sort of information.

In fact, to encourage you to find it, I will award you 2 XP if you succeed. :thumbup:

Sorry Steve, I didn't realize you were looking for this info. I came acroiss that a while back for my own research. My post in another thread regarding when they set their PA settings follows, you'll find that link about infrastructure in the middle there, I put it in red to stand out...

Depends on what you want, as many of the other posters here have said.

My thing is all about the rot. There are a lot of things that happen to modern buildings and such that will lead to a very fast downward spiral immediately after the lights go out and the pumps stop pumping.

I live in Michigan, which is largely a swamp that has been clearcut and drained. The Drain Commissioner is an elected office here, and their job is to ensure we don't return to the swamp from whence we came (dramatic music swells). About 10 years after the bomb/plague/rapture/pockylips groundwater and growth will make the state look a lot more overgrown. A hundred years from now, most of the modern buildings will be toppled and the ruins overgrown.

Here is a great article that concentrates on the effects to New York: http://discovermagazine.com/2005/feb/earth-without-people/

Some of this might be delayed a time by nuclear winter/shifted weather patterns that will take away the great enemy of the modern building: water, or at least minimize water's effects for a few years/decades.

Now, all that being said, the Post-Apocalypse doesn't have to be Uber-realistic, so long as a setting conveys the image that you want there are any number of reasons why and how that don't really have to be explained by a group of folks that play games featuring men and women that fly and shoot lasers from their eyes. Plus, some of this could be doomsaying and hype. A lot of "official prognostictions" turn out to be hot air why not this one? (i.e. the idea that the Nuclear Bomb could ignite the atmosphere, or that gases from nearby passing comets would cause wholescale poisoning, all 'officially sanctioned' at one point or another).

My thinking would be along these lines for comfortable Verisimiltude:

1. 1-10 years for Mad Max style Chaps-with-no-pants fun,
  2. 20 years max before gas breaks down (manufacturers say gas has a 1 year shelf-life, although... http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenergy/gaslifepal.htm so I'll give 20 and still not loose verisimiltude),
  3. 150 to 250 years maximum for a good number of modern buildings to remain (mostly) standing -- particularly in dry environments. Some titanic stuff -- like major bridges -- will last a LOT longer, but they were built that way. Of course, if they saw the end coming, they might have made some more that way -- designed to last with minimal maintenance for the Long Dark to come, built with what remained of the resources they had available to them as the wick slowly burns down.

Of course things like Magic, a slower downspiral of technology (i.e. interrum society does some maintenance and repair until it too finally gives way, this can lengthen the period by however long that society persists) and other elements will alter all of this.

Now that is funny, what happened was that I cut and pasted the post I made in an "Other genres" thread, and it works there. The Board software truncated that line and it cut and pasted with the elipses and everything....

It works there, here is the link:

http://discovermagazine.com/2005/feb/earth-without-people/

Edit: notice how it has that ellipses here still? Wow, I didn't know that would happen on a straight copy & paste. I also went back and fixed the link above.

What archetypes are you using for the Post Apoc character creation if any?

Here's a list:

Academic

Cryo

Ganger

Gunslinger

Preserver

Road Warrior

Scavenger

Soldier

Survivalist

Technologist

Warrior

I'm also considering a "Mutant" Package Deal, but I'm not sure it's worth it; in most cases it'll be easier just to slap some of the example mutant powers on another archetype and call it a day. Mutant isn't a "profession" or a "race" so much as it is a state of being, I guess. ;)

Here's a list:

Academic

Cryo

Ganger

Gunslinger

Preserver

Road Warrior

Scavenger

Soldier

Survivalist

Technologist

Warrior

I'm also considering a "Mutant" Package Deal, but I'm not sure it's worth it; in most cases it'll be easier just to slap some of the example mutant powers on another archetype and call it a day. Mutant isn't a "profession" or a "race" so much as it is a state of being, I guess. ;)

I wouldn't use Mutant as a package deal. A mutant is really more of an adder to any package deal. Social Limitation + Distinctive Features (if applicable) with mutant abilities.

The Mariner in Waterworld is a Survivalist/Road Warrior Mutant where as the Kangroo things from Tank Girl are a sort of Ganger/Warrior Mutant group.

It looks like though you hit all of the key archetypes for the genre. Several post-apocalyptic movies and books have the psychotic character that is a loose cannon from having drank too much sea water or some such similiar history. It isn't big enough to fit as its own package deal but might make a good adder to throw on either the academic or the survivalist.

I approve. :)

I wouldn't use Mutant as a package deal. A mutant is really more of an adder to any package deal. Social Limitation + Distinctive Features (if applicable) with mutant abilities.

The Mariner in Waterworld is a Survivalist/Road Warrior Mutant where as the Kangroo things from Tank Girl are a sort of Ganger/Warrior Mutant group.

It looks like though you hit all of the key archetypes for the genre. Several post-apocalyptic movies and books have the psychotic character that is a loose cannon from having drank too much sea water or some such similiar history. It isn't big enough to fit as its own package deal but might make a good adder to throw on either the academic or the survivalist.

I approve. :)

This is how I'd treat cyborgs, too.

Here's a list:

Academic

Cryo

Ganger

Gunslinger

Preserver

Road Warrior

Scavenger

Soldier

Survivalist

Technologist

Warrior

Will you also be considering Cultural Package Deals in addition? A "Wasteland Wanderer" culture, for example. Or maybe a "Dome Dweller" (or something like that) for those spots of old civilization that might survive behind thick walls or hidden away.

I keep thinking "Barbarian" or "Haven City Dweller" are valid archetypes, the latter being someone who lives in a world like the city in Logan's Run, for example.

My 2 XPs on this. :)

Hmmm' date=' Weisman's book sounds intriguing. Comes out July 10, which might let me take a quick look at it and thus justify putting it in the PAH bibliography. Thanx for the tip, Bill![/quote']

You're welcome. :)

"Cryo" sounds like a pretty cool idea. "Yawn, I just woke up from my 100-year freezer sleep and... HOLY CRAP! What the hell happened?!?" :cool:

Just as an afterthought...

I'm hoping the "mini-settings" chapter includes a few pages of "micro-settings," such as the Drindrish Age and Tetsuo ideas I've already suggested, taking a half to full page each and directing the reader on how to build the setting from already-published information (and where to find that info, of course). :)

Will you also be considering Cultural Package Deals in addition?

I've been thinking about something of the sort; that's one of the notes to myself buried in the manuscript that I have to consider and act on (one way or another) during editing and revisions.

Along the lines of other PA games, y'all might want to check out GEORGE'S CHILDREN, a rather unusual take on the PA genre by my friend Jim Pinto. He sent me a copy recently, and it looks pretty interesting -- and best of all, all proceeds go to charity! I don't have a link offhand, but we all know how to use Google. ;)

Corpsicles ala Larry Niven.

Yeah, something like that -- or from a more gameable perspective, something akin to The Morrow Project. One of the best PA games I ever played in was one where we all played ourselves, who'd been cryogenically frozen and neuro-fed all the details of a given skill-set while we "slept." We then had to make our way across the ruins of North Carolina. ;)

Yeah' date=' something like that -- or from a more gameable perspective, something akin to The Morrow Project. One of the best PA games I ever played in was one where we all played ourselves, who'd been cryogenically frozen and neuro-fed all the details of a given skill-set while we "slept." We then had to make our way across the ruins of North Carolina. ;)[/quote']

I had a summer vacation like that once. Only, without the frozen and force fed skills part.