Exclusive: Collector Amasses Complete DC Collection

CorpCommander

ORIGINAL STORY HERE:

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=5726&si=122

COPY:

Exclusive: Collector Amasses Complete DC Collection

Superstars, Scoop, Friday, July 09, 2004

A private collector in the northeastern United States has accomplished the astounding and unprecedented feat of assembling a complete collection of every comic book ever published by DC Comics.

For those of you who have trouble visualizing the enormity of the task, that's over 30,000 individual comic books!

Amazingly, with the exception of a small handful of items toward the end of the quest, this collection was achieved the old-fashioned way with a lot of legwork and mileage, scouring comic shows and stores large and small from coast to coast. Almost no Internet usage was involved in assembling this amazing collection.

The collector, who has chosen to remain anonymous at this time, started on the road to this accomplishment in 1970, when it was decided on whim, to accumulate all the back issues of all the DC superhero comics. Subsequently at the San Diego ComiCon (as it was then known) in 1987, with the superhero titles virtually completed, the collector had reached a crossroads.

"What do I do once my primary collecting goal has been achieved?" was the basic gist of the discussion, a situation many collectors have faced.

At the urging of the staff of the now-defunct Sparkle City Comics, the collector chose to expand the parameters of the collection to include all of the comic books ever published by DC.

For 5 years, until its dissolution in 1992, Sparkle City served as the main conduit, funneling vintage DC Comics into the collector's hands. With their heavy annual show schedule, the company was able to easily connect with other dealers and private collectors throughout the country in order acquire needed items.

A dedicated band of fellow collectors and other supportive dealers also actively participated in the hunt over the years. It was common practice at the beginning of a major convention for the hunters to congregate at the Sparkle City table for copies of the latest want list update, before fanning out into the dealers room.

In early 1992, Mike Wilbur of Diamond International Galleries and Alan Grobman (both then of Sparkle City) entered the ranks of the select few who have personally seen the collection. They spent three weeks that winter at the collector's house. Day after day, from morning until after midnight, they flipped through a seemingly endless succession of boxes, as they checked, verified and toke notes.

Complete runs of Action, Adventure, All Star, Batman, Detective, More Fun, Sensation, Superman, and other titles both well-known and obscure passed through their hands as the weeks progressed. From early rarities like Big Book of Fun Comics and New Fun Comics up through the Golden and Silver Ages to then-current titles, the main core of the DC collection was there. All that remained at that point was to finish filling in the fringes with the rest of the war, western, romance, mystery, and humor titles. Ongoing new releases were covered through a long-standing arrangement with a local comic shop.

"It was an almost surreal experience," Wilbur said, "just box after box of books that most collectors can only dream of seeing."

Among the more esoteric items in the collection is the two-volume set of Cancelled Comics Cavalcade, published by DC in 1978. With a print run of only 35 copies, these books contain stories left over following the infamous "DC Implosion." Printed for copyright purposes, these were distributed internally to creators whose work it featured. The collector's copy was acquired from The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide's publisher Bob Overstreet. Included with the books is a cover letter to Overstreet from then-DC Editor Mike Gold, detailing the information for the Guide.

"I remember [the collector] spent a lot of time visiting when we were still down in Tennessee," recalled Overstreet, "I sold [the collector] an Action Comics #1 and a few other things."

The almost final book in the collection was the romance title Girls' Love Stories #56, a nothing-in-particular issue of a nothing-special title that was simply frustratingly difficult to locate. Acquired in late 2002, this was thought to be the end of the long road, until the discovery of the obscure Golden Age DC comic, the Fat and Slat Joke Book. Once this additional piece became known, a copy was acquired within a couple of months, in early 2003.

Since the assembly of the collection was primarily a labor of love and not a search for glory, the collector had chosen to avoid the limelight. However, in light of the historical importance of the achievement, the collector did acknowledge to Scoop that "The First Complete DC Collection" was a reality.

The collector would like to extend personal thanks to Joe Vereneault of JHV Associates, Alan Grobman, Gene Carpenter of All-American Comics, fellow collector Mike D'Alessandro and Wilbur, with special mentions also going to Joe Mannarino, John Verzyl of Comic Heaven, Mike Goldman of Motor City Comics, Ron Pussell of Redbeard's Book Den, Harley Yee, Richard Evans of Bedrock City Comics, Rob Ronin, Michelle Nolan, and Nostalgia Zone of Minnesota for their assistance, support, and encouragement.

Re: Exclusive: Collector Amasses Complete DC Collection

Well...one half of me says "wow, what a massive effort", the other half says "wow, what a massive waste".

So...color me conflicted I guess. :D

Yeah, this isn't like the time, effort and money we spend on OUR hobbies. That generate results of huge value to posterity and the world at large, right? ;)

Think of the knowlege this guy and his team have about the DC Universe though. Some of us who play the game probably haven't touched a comic in years. I'm guilty as charged on that account.

Someone, perhaps on this list, has a complete collection of all the Hero books. I have a nearly complete collection of DOJ Hero books and several older titles including the most hated versions of Hero that shall be left nameless. While not even close to equivilent, it is still something to consider.

Doesn't 30,000 comics seem a little like an under-estimate? I'm not saying it's wrong, it just seems a little 'light'.

30,000 books over, say, 70 years (1930s wasn't it?) is still 430 books a year on average and 36 books a month. Wowza!

Think of the knowlege this guy and his team have about the DC Universe though. Some of us who play the game probably haven't touched a comic in years. I'm guilty as charged on that account.

Someone, perhaps on this list, has a complete collection of all the Hero books. I have a nearly complete collection of DOJ Hero books and several older titles including the most hated versions of Hero that shall be left nameless. While not even close to equivilent, it is still something to consider.

I've got a complete run of Adventurer's Club, and everything published for 4th edition, but that's hardly the same thing. :D

That would involve admitting to ownership of a copy of Road Kill.

I've got a complete run of Adventurer's Club' date=' and everything published for 4th edition, but that's hardly the same thing. :D[/quote']

I also have a complete run of the AC. ;) I wouldn't say it's hardly the same thing: it's the same thing but of a much smaller caliber.

Doesn't 30,000 comics seem a little like an under-estimate? I'm not saying it's wrong, it just seems a little 'light'.

30,000 books over, say, 70 years (1930s wasn't it?) is still 430 books a year on average and 36 books a month. Wowza!

If we count the time before DC was called DC, the company is 72 years old. 417 a year, 35 a month.

Which must be HEAVILY skewed as I doubt they even had 10 books a month during the WWII era. Of course, I could easily be wrong on that.

Quelle est cette "Road Kill"? :confused:

A really terrible adventure from 4th edition, featuring a villainous heavy metal band that sported some guy in parachute pants and, IIRC, a beret playing a keytar.

I point to it as proof positive of one of my maxims of comics and superhero gaming:

Rock music and superheroes are both intrinsically cool things. However, any attempt to portray rock music in a superheroic millieu invariably comes across as irretrievably lame. At best, said combination will fail to pass the test of time. At worst, it will come across as desperately ignorant of the music it's trying to portray, for instance, including a keytar player in a metal band.

A really terrible adventure from 4th edition' date=' featuring a villainous heavy metal band that sported some guy in parachute pants and, IIRC, a beret playing a keytar.[/quote']

...I don't care how bad the adventure is, I want a copy of it.

A really terrible adventure from 4th edition, featuring a villainous heavy metal band that sported some guy in parachute pants and, IIRC, a beret playing a keytar.

I point to it as proof positive of one of my maxims of comics and superhero gaming:

Rock music and superheroes are both intrinsically cool things. However, any attempt to portray rock music in a superheroic millieu invariably comes across as irretrievably lame. At best, said combination will fail to pass the test of time. At worst, it will come across as desperately ignorant of the music it's trying to portray, for instance, including a keytar player in a metal band.

In general, I agree with you.

However, there is always the exception that proves the rule.

Inna gadda da Foxbat.

Nuff said.