Who are your favourite Superhero Artists?

TheQuestionMan

Re: Who are your favourite Superhero Artists?

While I haven't really seen their work in superhero comics as far as I know' date=' I'll have to give a HERO thumbs up to Storn Cook and the late Mark Williams as well. :thumbup:[/quote']

And let's not forget Patrick Zircher (who did all or most of the interior art for Classic Enemies), one of the best artists Marvel currently has, IMO.

Moebius (Silver Surfer)

You have to set an example even in the face of stupidity. Everybody who reads comic books knows that the Kirby Silver Surfer is the only true Silver Surfer. Now am I right or wrong?

:D:D:D:D

Just funnin' with ya. Moebius stuff is great.

Looking at the thread title, I'll have to say Green Lantern Kyle Rayner and Colossus. Steve Rogers was a commercial illustrator for a while, but it never really stuck as a facet of his character.

What??

Oh, you meant real-world people who draw Superheros?

:o Never mind then! :o

:D:D:D:D

Just funnin' with ya. Moebius stuff is great.

Hunter: Rivetti, what's up?

Petty Officer First Class Danny Rivetti: I'm sorry, Sir. It's just a difference of opinion that got out of hand.

Hunter: What about?

Petty Officer First Class Danny Rivetti: It's really too silly to talk about, Sir. I'd really just forget about...

Hunter: I don't give a damn about what you'd rather forget about. Why were you two fighting?

Petty Officer First Class Danny Rivetti: I said, the Kirby Silver Surfer was the only real Silver Surfer. And that the Moebius Silver Surfer was s*&!. And Bennefield's a big Moebius fan. And it got of hand. I pushed him. He pushed me. I lost my head, Sir. I'm Sorry.

Hunter: Rivetti, you're a supervisor. You can get a commission like that.

[snaps finger]

Petty Officer First Class Danny Rivetti: I know, Sir. You're 100 percent right. It will never happen again.

Hunter: It better not happen again. If I see this kind of nonsense again, I'm going to write you up. You understand?

Petty Officer First Class Danny Rivetti: [No answer]

Hunter: Do you understand?

Petty Officer First Class Danny Rivetti: Yes, Sir.

Hunter: You have to set an example even in the face of stupidity. Everybody who reads comic books knows that the Kirby Silver Surfer is the only true Silver Surfer. Now am I right or wrong?

Petty Officer First Class Danny Rivetti: You're right, Sir.

Hunter: Now get out of here.

Petty Officer First Class Danny Rivetti: Yes, Sir.

Obviously Rivetti, Hunter, and Bennefield are all correct in their opinions....The movie got it wrong...;)

To throw in my two cents.

1. George Perez

2. Mike Grell

3. John Byrne (especially when he was inked by Terry Austin)

4. Alex Ross

5. Tom Grummet

6. Wally Wood

7. Steve Lightle

8. Alan Davis

9. Dave Gibbons

10. Jim Starlin (Back in the Warlock/Dreadstar days)

And dozens more that aren't leaping to mind currently.

Nucleon now feels polemic...

Alex Ross... Realism, bah.

Nucleon does not place Alex Ross in His favorite drawers; Althought He admires his poses and textures, Nucleon does like a bit of fantasy in the Comic World, therefore the sight of well-fed men in discoloured costumes with stitches and wrinkles He would appraise as ridicule, like on some sort of All Hallow's Eve.

Plus, the guy is definitely average on tech details, like guns. He is good, but more suited to heroic stuff rather than superheroic per se. Still, he makes good covers, mainly if one needs a good facial expression, as to impress the reader to the humanity of the character sort of thing, once in a while.

Do you feel as polemic as Nucleon do about Ross?

:saturn:

George Perez - The King may be dead, but Perez is his rightful heir.

Paul Pelletier - I've been following this guy for fifteen years now. From Green Lantern (he was the artist during most of Kyle Rayner's first five(?) years) and Negation to She-Hulk and Exiles. The best at drawing sci-fi based comics.

Brandon Peterson - I fell in love with his stuff when he was doing the art for CrossGen's Mystic.

Andrea DiVito

Carlos Pacheco

Alex Ross

• 1 month later...

1. George Perez

2. Jim Starlin

3. Michael Golden

4. Alan Davis

5. John Byrne

6. Phil Jimenez

7. Mike Grell

8. Carlos Pachaco

9. Art Adams

10. Pat Broderick

I don't consider Alex Ross a comic artist, he's a painter and his stuff is more fine art than comic art, so though he's not my favorite he's a step above most.

Will Eisner (All others are just copying what he figured out first -- and yeah, I'm talking about Kirby, too)

Neal Adams (80% of the guys listed in this post are either pale imitators or started out imitating Neal Adams)

Alex Raymond (dead too soon)

Alan Davis

Rags Morales

Kevin Maguire

John Buscema

Mike Weiringo (see Alex Raymond)

Mike Golden

Bill Sen-Kevitch (for proper phonetics)

To add a few that wouldn't just be repetitive ...

Geoff Senior and Andrew Wildman, who drew most of the last 25 issues of the original Transformers (US) series.

Angel Medina, who drew about half of the last 20 issues of Dreadstar (under Peter David's excellent writing).

Ron Lim, who did some awesome Silver Surfer art back in the day.