Am I the only one who ever noticed...

FenrisUlf

Re: Am I the only one who ever noticed...

The older a person is' date=' the less understanding they are of modern slang. Hence I will probably never talk about "pwning" someone...[/quote']

A friend's daughter (age 12, I think) thinks she's a real ghetto-child and likes to say things like, "What up, my home skillet?"

I've found that she gets very irritated when I "try" to respond in kind but "accidentally" sound like an old fart with no concept of modern slang.

i.e. "Yo, homey girlfriend, what down wit' you, freaky fresh?"

Slang is by nature exclusionary. When the little middle aged white woman announces "I speak jive", that's the signal for the cool kids to come up with something new. ;)

I've always held that it's impossible to be simultaneously cool, fully employed and married. Heck, it's hard to manage just two of the three.

That stuff was pretty silly, but I wonder if Aquaman and Wonder Woman ever get together and say, "Remember back when our biggest worry was the way Garth and Troia spoke jive?" (Or whatever the heck that is.)

I mean, when you compare it to their current problems...

Makes me think about that scene in the movie "Airplane" where the two Afro-Americans were talking Ghetto, and the only one on the plane who understood them was the actress who play June Cleaver from Leave it to Beaver.

Or how about those TV commercials where the mother is complaining to her family about the cost of all their texting. With subtitles none the less.

Makes me think about that scene in the movie "Airplane" where the two Afro-Americans were talking Ghetto, and the only one on the plane who understood them was the actress who play June Cleaver from Leave it to Beaver.

We interrupt this regularly scheduled thread for a breaking announcement:

- - -

Randy: Can I get you something?

Second Jive Dude: 'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!

Randy: I'm sorry, I don't understand.

First Jive Dude: Cutty say 'e can't HANG!

Jive Lady: Oh stewardess! I speak jive.

Randy: Oh, good.

Jive Lady: He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.

Randy: All right. Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine?

Jive Lady: Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da' rebound on da' med side.

Second Jive Dude: What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap!

Jive Lady: Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!

First Jive Dude: Say 'e can't hang, say seven up!

Jive Lady: Jive ass dude don't got no brains anyhow! Hmmph!

- - -

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

The older a person is, the less understanding they are of modern slang. Hence I will probably never talk about "pwning" someone...

Or maybe that's because I probably never will pwn... If that's even a word....

Youre 22.

Im 43.

My understanding of slanguage totally pwnxxorz j00! ;P

;)

Hate to break the news here... none of that slang is misused.

Goofy Foot is a surfer term.

Ride A Double is bicycle slang. Specifically a Double Century - a 200 Mile (or 200km) ride.

It does, however, sound stupid in a comic book context, like the author was trying to hard to be cool.

Yeah' date=' but the surfer in the picture isn't a goofy. He might be a switch foot, I suppose. :)[/quote']

Like I know what it means :P .... I just listen to a lot of surf rock and lived in Huntington Beach for a while where I picked up the terminology by osmosis.

Like I know what it means :P .... I just listen to a lot of surf rock and lived in Huntington Beach for a while where I picked up the terminology by osmosis.

Goofy foot means you surf (or skateboard, or snowboard) with your right foot forward. Reg foot means the left foot is forward. Most folks are reg footed. Switch foot means you're equally comfortable either way, or that you ride reg foot on one type of board and goofy on another (like, reg foot while surfing, but goofy while snowboarding). People who ride switch foot are supposed to be pretty rare. :cool:

Bill.

(This moment of pendantry was brought to you by Bunneh's Surf and Snow Shoppe).

I'm more flabbergasted that there are TVs in Atlantis and Paradise Island... manufactured to resemble sea-fronds and stone columns, respectively. But, yeah, the dialogue there is pretty jarring. Not because it's slang, or even old alang, but because thse two characters never talk that way otherwise.

Ride A Double is bicycle slang. Specifically a Double Century - a 200 Mile (or 200km) ride.

Interesting.

I had always read it according to the slang I used as a kid, where "doubling" meant having two people on the same (normal, one-seat) bike.

Not because it's slang' date=' or even old alang, but because thse two characters never talk that way otherwise.[/quote']

This kind of language was used throughout the early Teen Titans run. It's one of the things that makes it particularly distinctive, although Haney-isms appeared in a lot of other series as well.

For what it's worth, Wonder Girl had previously only ever appeared as "Wonder Woman as a girl", rather than as a separate character. Strictly speaking, then, this was the authoritative source for how the character spoke! ;)

It's a little unfortunate the WG and WW were actually shown together at a couple of points in the series. There actually was one WW story were WG travelled forward in time in attempt to meet herself as an adult, and found out that she could never quite catch up with herself. This meant that the current WG couldn't be the same person, since she actually did encounter WW...

I actually kind of like the idea that WG and WW were the same person. It would be a bit like Superboy being in the Legion of Superheroes, except with Superman still being around somewhere.

I should set up a situation like that in my CU.