Name that flag-suited hero!

BobGreenwade

Gads! It often seems like all the good superhero names are taken.

I had a character long ago, Captain Glory, who was a gadget-using flag-suit. But I'm wanting to do something with him now for publication, and since Jack Kirby used the name for a one-shot hero in the Topps Kirbyverse publications of 1993 I can't. (Well, I probably could in the strictest legal sense, but I'd rather not just out of respect.)

I've had similar problems with other old characters, but been able to come up with new names: the Night Watchman became the Shadow Watcher and Guardian Angel became the White Guardian, and Lightray is between Hotfoot and Split-Second. But I'm having less luck with Captain Glory -- every other decent patriot-name I can come up with (like Captain Liberty, Captain USA, and of course Captain America) is also taken.

It's important that he be a "Captain," to go with his sidekick, Lieutenant Freedom. And it should be something that at least strongly suggests America and/or its ideals of freedom and liberty.

Re: Name that flag-suited hero!

Couldn't you just call him The Patrioteer?

Some of these are pretty bad but...

Captain U.S.A. or Captain United States (or US) (Actually, this is much more specific to our nation than Captain America :) )

Captain Jingo (Jingo: One who vociferously supports one's country, especially one who supports a belligerent foreign policy; a chauvinistic patriot.)

Captain Majesty

Captain Nation

Captain Nationalist

Captain Magnificence

Captain Splendor

Captain Glitter

Resplendent Captain

Captain Prime

Captain Integrity

Captain Security

Captain Character

Captain Progress

Captain Meliorate

Captain Entirety

Captain Eternity

Captain Infinity

Captain Wonder

Captain Rampart

Captain G.O.P.

I could go on, but it's probably better that I don't. :rolleyes:

A lot of these names would be fantastic for another character, but not quite for this one.

The original "Captain Glory" name, by the way, is after "Old Glory," one of the nicknames for our flag. (For those who didn't already recognize that.)

Keep 'em coming... I'm sure the right one is out there somewhere.

Captain. Patriotic. Flag-waver. Got it!

Flagwave.gif

Captain Flag?

Captain Banner?

Captain Star-Spangled Banner?

Captain Long-May-She-Wave?

Captain Freedom?

Captain Liberty?

Captain (home of the) Brave?

...Stop me when I'm getting close...

Captain Patriot?

Captain Courage?

Captain Allegiance?

Captain Courageous?

Captain Ally?

Captain Anthem?

Flagwave.gif

I may just go with Captain Patriot. Major Liberty and Captain Justice are also possible.

Notes on a couple of suggestions: Captain USA is Big Bang Comics' version of Captain America. Captain Liberty was on the live-action Tick TV program as a replacement for American Maid. That rules both of those out.

Anybody familiar with the 2000 Marvel Boy comic miniseries? I just found something saying that there was a Captain Glory making an appearance there separate and distinct from the Kirbyverse one. That would (potentially) eliminate the conflict and make this whole question moot....

Captain Glory from that mini is dead. He the Kree Captain of the Marvel, a dimension hopping space ship. He allegedly had powers that were derived from cosmic rays, but I don't believe they ever said what those powers were.

He died off panel though. The ship was struck by two missiles while he was using his body as a living circuit for the ships cosmic ray powered engines. Screams radiation accident, don't it?

If you need more details, PM me. I have the trade sitting on the shelf.

Captain Glory from that mini is dead. He the Kree Captain of the Marvel, a dimension hopping space ship. He allegedly had powers that were derived from cosmic rays, but I don't believe they ever said what those powers were.

He died off panel though. The ship was struck by two missiles while he was using his body as a living circuit for the ships cosmic ray powered engines. Screams radiation accident, don't it?

If you need more details, PM me. I have the trade sitting on the shelf.

That about covers it, I think. Looks like I can leave my Captain Glory as he is. (And maybe even have him join the "Open-Source" group under discussion in another thread.)

It might be helpful to know what kind of attitude the Marvel Captain Glory had toward the universe, why he had that name, and what powers he had if any, but that would be just bonus.

My thanks to everyone for the effort, and I probably will use at least a couple of these suggestions for other characters.

Guest Major Tom

Perhaps "Captain Destiny' date='" inspired by the concept of Manifest Destiny?

Considering what "Manifest Destiny" was used to justify in the past (with

regards to America's expansion Westward and the subsequent treatment

of the Native American people), that probably wouldn't be an association

that any decent superhero would want made with his (or her) super-ID.

Major Tom :cool: