Double The Hero Excitement!

Darren Watts

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Double The Hero Excitement!

GoO? Guardians of the Order? What have they to do w/ M&M?

GoO has nothing to do with M&M. Just expanding the speculation.

However, Green Ronin (M&M) is still in business and I've heard podcasts that DoJ and GR are "good friends" when talking about competition between the companies.

GoO has nothing to do with M&M. Just expanding the speculation.

However, Green Ronin (M&M) is still in business and I've heard podcasts that DoJ and GR are "good friends" when talking about competition between the companies.

Some kind of deal with Green Ronin to make dual-statted products (or something like that) might make some sense and might draw additional people to the Hero web site; however, such a thing could backfire. For example, if they did dual-stat products, I could see fans of both systems complaining about the pages and other resources being wasted on stats for the other system. Now, maybe there could be a way to make it work, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure that all the necessary conversion work would increase sales enough for it to be worthwhile to either company.

It could be a single product similar to "Reality Storm" that included conversion information but I'm not sure that would qualify as a big, big announcement. And given the delays that occureed due to working with another company and the resulting poor sales of "Reality Storm", I'm not sure how quick Hero would be to jump into that pool again

Didn't GoO do Silver Age Sentinels?

Yes, they did.

But I really can't see that Hero would want anything to do with GoO or its properties. Certainly, whatever licenses GoO might have still held would have reverted back to the original owners by now and most of those were anime licenses, anyway and we all know that that "genre" is not a favorite of the Hero crew. As I have said before, I don't think it makes sense for Hero to produce another RPG system -- it makes even less since for them to publish another generic system (BESM/Tri-Stat).

The only possibility that I could see related to GoO would be if Hero was expanding its staff and was hiring someone who had worked for GoO -- but I wouldn't weight the possibility too highly.

Some kind of deal with Green Ronin to make dual-statted products (or something like that) might make some sense and might draw additional people to the Hero web site; however, such a thing could backfire. For example, if they did dual-stat products, I could see fans of both systems complaining about the pages and other resources being wasted on stats for the other system. Now, maybe there could be a way to make it work, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure that all the necessary conversion work would increase sales enough for it to be worthwhile to either company.

It could be a single product similar to "Reality Storm" that included conversion information but I'm not sure that would qualify as a big, big announcement. And given the delays that occureed due to working with another company and the resulting poor sales of "Reality Storm", I'm not sure how quick Hero would be to jump into that pool again

Both valid points, but I think that Green Ronin has learned their lesson with the OGL. With the Freeport Campaign, they're producing a statless book that allows any system to use the campaign setting. Addtional books are set up to flesh out the setting in the campaign of choice (kind of like the Traveller Hero books).

I think that GR could do the same thing for their Supers setting. Hero can put out stats for GR's characters, and GR can do the same for Hero. Although, I think GR would come out the "winner" because they don't have as many settings/genres as Hero.

I'm also a fan of Web Enhancements. Put out a book and give the Dual Stats out online. Your book contains the rule system of choice (DoJ puts out Hero, GR puts out M&M) and the other stats and conversions are online. Saves on page count going to the conversions and leaves more room for the adventure.

Just my thoughts.

Both valid points, but I think that Green Ronin has learned their lesson with the OGL. With the Freeport Campaign, they're producing a statless book that allows any system to use the campaign setting. Addtional books are set up to flesh out the setting in the campaign of choice (kind of like the Traveller Hero books).

I think that GR could do the same thing for their Supers setting. Hero can put out stats for GR's characters, and GR can do the same for Hero. Although, I think GR would come out the "winner" because they don't have as many settings/genres as Hero.

I'm also a fan of Web Enhancements. Put out a book and give the Dual Stats out online. Your book contains the rule system of choice (DoJ puts out Hero, GR puts out M&M) and the other stats and conversions are online. Saves on page count going to the conversions and leaves more room for the adventure.

Just my thoughts.

The "web enhancement" thing is sort of what I was hinting at when I said they might find a way to make it work. But again, I'm not sure whether all the work of producing converted characters would generate enough increased sales to make it worth while. And if the converted characters are given away free on the web, I can't help but wonder how many characters would just take those write-ups and create their own backgrounds for them rather than buying the product in which they appear. And if they sell them, are customers willing to pay extra (my guess would be $3-$10, depending on the number of characters) to get the characters for the system they prefer.

That being said, I think there could be some fan interest in such a thing, since I have certainly seen posts in the Hero forums about people using the Freedom City Universe with the Hero System and posts in the M&M forums about people using the Champions Universe with the M&M system.

Well, given the fiasco's of my minion's involving both Steve and Darren over the weekend I tapped Project X.

Five years ago, preparing for any number of contingencies, I had four men enter into a rigorous training regimen. They completed Basic Training, SOI, Ranger School, SEAL, a stint in the French Foreign Legion & Cirque Du Soleil, several months in various African Conflicts, more military training (this time with the British secret service), infiltrated a Russia mafia group and brought them down, took over several third world governments for even more practice. . .

I had them pay Dan Simon a visit, as he would likely have the information since he will be behind the website updates.

He had their accounts banned.

From Reality.

Can you even DO that?!?! :nonp:

Well, given the fiasco's of my minion's involving both Steve and Darren over the weekend I tapped Project X.

Five years ago, preparing for any number of contingencies, I had four men enter into a rigorous training regimen. They completed Basic Training, SOI, Ranger School, SEAL, a stint in the French Foreign Legion & Cirque Du Soleil, several months in various African Conflicts, more military training (this time with the British secret service), infiltrated a Russia mafia group and brought them down, took over several third world governments for even more practice. . .

I had them pay Dan Simon a visit, as he would likely have the information since he will be behind the website updates.

He had their accounts banned.

From Reality.

Can you even DO that?!?! :nonp:

Well, I can't. But Dan on the other hand...

:eg:

Well remember awhile back when Steve and Dave said we would have to wait to see what Hero's "answer" to D&D4 would be... well I think that this announcement will be it.

I would love to see a super-expanded Hero Designer (maybe called Hero Campaign) that would allow not only the creation of characters, but include a system for running games online with such things as intergrated map makers, dice rollers, combat trackers, audio, real time voice communication between players and GM.

Imagine such things as being able to look at the map and seeing where everyone is and then click on the icon of the target you want to attack, then picking the power you want to use from your sheet and then have the computer do all the match and rolling, etc... and applying the results directly onto the appropriate "sheets".

Basically everything you need to run a full campaign over the computer. Or, put another way, a MMO, but a personal one, controlled by your GM, with only Players you want to be included in your game allowed.

something like that would be cool.

I would love to see a super-expanded Hero Designer (maybe called Hero Campaign) that would allow not only the creation of characters, but include a system for running games online with such things as intergrated map makers, dice rollers, combat trackers, audio, real time voice communication between players and GM.

Yeah, very cool. You and I are thinking on the same lines.

This sounds like a major software project to me, and so I kinda doubt it. Software jobs don't seem to be lacking right now, in spite of the general downturn in the economy, so I can't see how Simon (for example) could do this and still make money at it, compared to say $65 per hour as a contractor.

But still its fun to think about it.

Imagine such things as being able to look at the map and seeing where everyone is and then click on the icon of the target you want to attack, then picking the power you want to use from your sheet and then have the computer do all the match and rolling, etc... and applying the results directly onto the appropriate "sheets".

Basically everything you need to run a full campaign over the computer. Or, put another way, a MMO, but a personal one, controlled by your GM, with only Players you want to be included in your game allowed.

I'd hate it, and wouldn't be likely to buy it. In my opinion as a GM, the more of the game moves on to the computer, the more it takes my attention away from the roleplaying and the players. I fervently hope that neither of the big announcements are some kind of uber-campaign-manager software.

I'd hate it' date=' and wouldn't be likely to buy it. In my opinion as a GM, the more of the game moves on to the computer, the more it takes my attention away from the roleplaying and the players. I fervently hope that neither of the big announcements are some kind of uber-campaign-manager software.[/quote']

Glad to know I'm not the only Hero loyalist who wouldn't like it but I still might end up buying it out of curiosity. However, I couldn't see using it.

Well remember awhile back when Steve and Dave said we would have to wait to see what Hero's "answer" to D&D4 would be... well I think that this announcement will be it.

Don't they already have programs like this? I think I saw something called Fantasy Grounds that looked like this, as well as other online software (possibly to a lesser extent).

My guess.

Marvel Universe Online has been officially canned (Microsoft's attempt at a City of Heroes with Marvel characters). That and the sheer cost of software development (even in an economic downturn) would suggest that it's not a MMORPG. (Although it would be a surprising twist, if the reason was because CofH got a better offer from/swore undying allegiance to Hero Games.)

Umm, so that's my guess, not a MMORPG. I might have guessed an alliance with "2K Boston/2K Australia" the guys that did Freedom Force which would have been a cool engine to do a videogame featuring Hero Games, but that wouldn't be an "H".

I'd hate it' date=' and wouldn't be likely to buy it. In my opinion as a GM, the more of the game moves on to the computer, the more it takes my attention away from the roleplaying and the players. I fervently hope that neither of the big announcements are some kind of uber-campaign-manager software.[/quote']

Depends on precisely what a system would be. If it allowed me to run games on-line more easily, I'd be all for it, since that's pretty much what I'm stuck with at the moment. That's what I'd assumed was being described, and it might really help me out, thanks.

I suppose there's always HeroCentral.

If it's just a way of managing a tabletop campaign I can't see a real use for it, no, but that's another of those things I can't see bringing in new blood.

Depends on precisely what a system would be. If it allowed me to run games on-line more easily, I'd be all for it, since that's pretty much what I'm stuck with at the moment. That's what I'd assumed was being described, and it might really help me out, thanks.

I suppose there's always HeroCentral.

If it's just a way of managing a tabletop campaign I can't see a real use for it, no, but that's another of those things I can't see bringing in new blood.

Whoops!! :o Sorry, mallet!! I totally misread the intent of your idea. I'm glad James's post made me catch what I'd done!

I was in a hurry when I posted earlier, and mistakenly read the idea as a combat & campaign manager for face-to-face RPG games. That's what I don't have much love for. Combat management software that's too "busy" really detracts from the f-t-f game, IMO. I find a Speed Chart/Combat Order manager useful, and maybe a dice roller for really big combats. That's about it. Anything more, and it starts getting in my way.

But game management software for online RPGs... that's a whole different kettle o' fish. I wouldn't personally be too excited about that, just because I'm not really doing any gaming other than face-to-face. But it sounds like a cool idea for folks who need it. :)