Double The Hero Excitement!

Darren Watts

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Double The Hero Excitement!

I agree with Susano that an "Anime Hero" book would be possible -- I think it probably has about as much linking it together as a "genre" as Pulp does. But we have no plans to do any such book at this time.

Well, at least there's a possibility. And, by no accident; I got a discussion going about it. ;)

Oh oh...I want to guess...not sure if anyone has already guessed these...

Freeport Fantasy Hero supplement?

Heroes (TV Show) using Hero?

Cthulhu Hero with Ken Hite? <- Ok...this one is a pipe dream. :rolleyes:

I also gotta comment...

I WANT a Dr D plushie!!! :D

All excited about DunDraCon! ALRIGHT!!! :celebrate

Strange you should mention Hite and Cthulhu - Trail of Cthulhu written by Ken Hite is being released on Feb 1 published by Pelegrane Press.

Another serious guess.

They will announce that there won't be a 6th edition any sooner than 2010, and in fact there may never be an edition called 6th. However, there will be a 5.5 edition scheduled for 2009, which will be as big a change over 5er as 5er was over 5e. The big announcement will be that the game will no longer appear in the form of a Ginormous Book . Instead, there will be three core books: a Sidekick, a Characters book, and a Combat and Campaigning book. Further system support beyond that will be genre books, Ultimates, and settings, as now.

Either that, or they'll announce 6th edition.

The other one will be either the Heroes (or other huge) license or the Ken Hite book.

Steve's only hint at the chat tonight was "the letter H" -- he also said he would give another hint at next week's chat and that Darren might give a hint at his chat on his Monday. I commented that I, personally, would find an announcement like a line of Hero miniatures boring and he replied that people won't find either of the two announcements boring.

Given "the letter H" mention, my first was Chris' suggestion above -- the "Heroes" license which I know for a fact became available a few months back. Or maybe it stands for Hite? Hite hired to hammer out Horror Hero? That's a lot H's. Of course, if he gives us "the letter C" next week as a hint then maybe it is the "City of Heroes" license but I'm not sure whether or not that is still in Eden's hands. Also, the time may have passed on CoH being a valuable license, but then again maybe that would let them swing a more reasonable deal. Or maybe they purchased Hasbro. :)

Ctulhu: I honestly don't see Hero as a good system for that. A system always conveys a feel with how you roll dice (bellcurves = realism, d20 = randomness) or lethality (gurps = highly lethal, cthulu = even more so, hero = extremly low). I just don't see hero as very suitable. Sure, you can do it, but that does not mean it's the best solution. If you want to play Ctulhu, then go and do that.

CoH / Heroes (TV): What point is there? The TV Series is just a modernized Marvel/DC story, CoH might even be called oldfashioned. That would be extremly boring to most of the userbase, I think.

Hero6: Very unlikely, but I would be very intrigued by a completely overhauled H6.

Hero5.5: Again? We've already had two Versions of FRED, what do we need a third one for? It's not like the errata is very big.

Ctulhu: I honestly don't see Hero as a good system for that. A system always conveys a feel with how you roll dice (bellcurves = realism, d20 = randomness) or lethality (gurps = highly lethal, cthulu = even more so, hero = extremly low). I just don't see hero as very suitable. Sure, you can do it, but that does not mean it's the best solution. If you want to play Ctulhu, then go and do that.

CoH / Heroes (TV): What point is there? The TV Series is just a modernized Marvel/DC story, CoH might even be called oldfashioned. That would be extremly boring to most of the userbase, I think.

Hero6: Very unlikely, but I would be very intrigued by a completely overhauled H6.

Hero5.5: Again? We've already had two Versions of FRED, what do we need a third one for? It's not like the errata is very big.

I think both CoH and Heroes have large enough fan bases that may be interested in things like RPGs and I seriously suspect that at least one of the two big, big announcements (to quote Steve) is a semi-major license (that is, one that most of the fan base has heard of) which has a significant fan base of its own outside of whatever fan base it may have in common with Hero. One of the reasons for having a license is an attempt to reach out to fans to that property and get them to buy your product when they might not have normally looked at it. I also suspect that it will be a superhero license of some sort as that is where Hero's true strengths lie -- although fantasy could be a possibility too, I suppose.

As for the likelihood of Hero 6, I'm not sure it can be discounted. It's been almost six years since 5th edition was released and even if 6th is announced at DDC, it might be another year or so before it is actually released.

The reason I didn't go with a full on 6th edition as a guess is that, if/when it comes it will be a surprise. The following conditions will have to apply: the supply of 5th edition core books will have to be low, and there will have to be a big slow spot in the schedule of general (support) releases; the reason for this is that the 5th edition pipeline will have to be mostly depleted, because once 6th edition is announced sales of the remaining 5th edition stock will drop drastically. My guess is that when a year is announced with few products in Q4, or with a lot of "to be announced" at that point, expect 6th edition to be announced for the following January. At least that's how I'd do it, and that's why I'm not expecting a 6th edition announcement.

I could easily be wrong, and have been before, but I'm sticking with that.

Steve's only hint at the chat tonight was "the letter H" -- he also said he would give another hint at next week's chat and that Darren might give a hint at his chat on his Monday. I commented that I, personally, would find an announcement like a line of Hero miniatures boring and he replied that people won't find either of the two announcements boring.

Given "the letter H" mention, my first was Chris' suggestion above -- the "Heroes" license which I know for a fact became available a few months back. Or maybe it stands for Hite? Hite hired to hammer out Horror Hero? That's a lot H's. Of course, if he gives us "the letter C" next week as a hint then maybe it is the "City of Heroes" license but I'm not sure whether or not that is still in Eden's hands. Also, the time may have passed on CoH being a valuable license, but then again maybe that would let them swing a more reasonable deal. Or maybe they purchased Hasbro. :)

My guess would be 'H'orror Hero.

TB

My guess would be 'H'orror Hero.

TB

I don't think "Horror Hero" is big enough to be called a "big big announcement". It's just another genre book. Now perhaps a major industry name like Ken Hite" could push it into that territory, but, no offense to Ken, I don't think it does. Ken's thoughts on horror role-playing are out there in a few different gaming products and while I think he would do a great job on "Horror Hero", I suspect it would largely be a rehash of what he has written elsewhere. Not that's there anything wrong with that, I just don't think it's enough.

The reason I didn't go with a full on 6th edition as a guess is that, if/when it comes it will be a surprise. The following conditions will have to apply: the supply of 5th edition core books will have to be low, and there will have to be a big slow spot in the schedule of general (support) releases; the reason for this is that the 5th edition pipeline will have to be mostly depleted, because once 6th edition is announced sales of the remaining 5th edition stock will drop drastically. My guess is that when a year is announced with few products in Q4, or with a lot of "to be announced" at that point, expect 6th edition to be announced for the following January. At least that's how I'd do it, and that's why I'm not expecting a 6th edition announcement.

I could easily be wrong, and have been before, but I'm sticking with that.

You could be right. Certainly a changeover to 6th would have to be carefully managed and I suspect that Darren and Steve are well aware of that, but maybe they have some way in mind to handle it.

Possible evidence in favor of 6th edition:

• Reprints of Champions and Fantasy Hero have been mentioned but have not happened as of yet.
  • No genre poll for Gen Con 09 release. Steve has said that it was because he was busy and didn't think it would show any different results. He also said that Horror Hero would not be the Gen Con 09 release. (May or may not mean 6th is coming, but it would not surprise if one of the two major announcements involved a Gen Con 09 release.)
  • Steve's thread about unanswered questions in the Champions Universe perhaps indicating a possible product to wrap-up the current incarnation of that universe.

Of course, this might not be evidence at all and I'm just grasping at straws.

CoH / Heroes (TV): What point is there? The TV Series is just a modernized Marvel/DC story' date=' CoH might even be called oldfashioned. That would be extremly boring to most of the userbase, I think.[/quote']

Or why not the other way? Instead of bringing CoH to the Champions, it could be bringing Champions to CoH as the new MMO...

(even though I do some work for Hero, I'm just guessing, too)

Or why not the other way? Instead of bringing CoH to the Champions, it could be bringing Champions to CoH as the new MMO...

(even though I do some work for Hero, I'm just guessing, too)

I'm 90% certain it's a book, product line, novel, etc. Some thing DOJ has done before, just a new one. We already have a HERO MMOG, it's called City of Heroes. (Endurance? Recovery? Come on, I know where they got those ideas!) Actual MMOs based heavily around pen-and-paper RPGs are just in insane business proposition. Even DnD Online appears to be failing, their subscriber numbers are quite poor. At roughly 90k subscribers, they beat Shadowbane, but not by much.

Betcha Ken Hite is doing Horror Hero. That sounds right. It'd be cool too.

I'm 90% certain it's a book, product line, novel, etc. Some thing DOJ has done before, just a new one. We already have a HERO MMOG, it's called City of Heroes. (Endurance? Recovery? Come on, I know where they got those ideas!) Actual MMOs based heavily around pen-and-paper RPGs are just in insane business proposition. Even DnD Online appears to be failing, their subscriber numbers are quite poor. At roughly 90k subscribers, they beat Shadowbane, but not by much.

Betcha Ken Hite is doing Horror Hero. That sounds right. It'd be cool too.

Well, the thing you have to remember if it was something like a MMORPG then it most likely would be some compnay paying Hero Games money to use their system. Based on what I know of Darren, Steve, and company, it almost certainly would not be Hero Games investing in having such a project created. In which case, it would mean more money for Hero to invest in the main product: pen and paper RPGs.

Similar sorts of deals could be licensing the system for use in a video game or optioning all or part of the Champions Universe for a motion picture or a comic book.

In any event, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the fact that Darren announced the addition of the second DunDraCon seminar and that there would be two major announcements made at the con while Steve was on a trip to an undefined location where he was staying in a hotel (making it likely to be a business trip in my mind) leads to the strong possibility that Steve was finalizing a business deal -- either a deal like I mentioned above where someone else is paying to use the Hero System or Universe or where Hero Games is licensing a property to be used in their games.

Of the other things you mention, a novel would be a new thing for Hero Games and might merit being called a big, big announcement but I'm not sure if their previous fiction effort (Astounding Hero Tales) was successful enough for them to invest in doing more.

As for books or other standard products, they would have to be pretty special to be considered major announcements. As I said earlier, Ken Hite writing Horror Hero MIGHT qualify. Stephen King writing Horror Hero would definitely qualify. :)

Oh, and one final point to add to the speculation. Here is the description of the Monday seminar at DunDraCon:

Big Surprise Announcement from Hero Games

Monday, 10:00 AM in Room 156

Presenter(s):
Darren Watts, Steve Long

Type:
Seminar

The Heroes unveil the latest super-secret special product from Hero Games. Come and see as they strip the cloak of secrecy from this long-simmering project.

Steve has said that this will be an hour seminar which means that the announcement is big enough (incluiding Q&A) to require that amount of time as opposed to being included in the Sunday afternoon seminar where the revised 2008 and preliminary 2009 schedules will be announced along with the other major announcement. And note that the Sunday afternoon seminar is 90 minutes rather than the usual one hour it has been other years. It seems like these are things that they think people are going to want to talk about.

And note that the Sunday afternoon seminar is 90 minutes rather than the usual one hour it has been other years. It seems like these are things that they think people are going to want to talk about.

As a note, the normal "What's New With Hero" seminar has usually run over the 1 hour mark in the past, so upping it to 90 minutes isn't necessarily a tell. :)

As a note' date=' the normal "What's New With Hero" seminar has usually run over the 1 hour mark in the past, so upping it to 90 minutes isn't necessarily a tell. :)[/quote']

So, since you undoubtedly have inside information, is that your way of saying that the major announcements aren't that major? :)

As a note' date=' the normal "What's New With Hero" seminar has usually run over the 1 hour mark in the past, so upping it to 90 minutes isn't necessarily a tell. :)[/quote']I think the "What's New With Hero" seminar could run over if it was slated for six hours. ;)

Us HERO fans loves to talk... :D