Double The Hero Excitement!

Darren Watts

Re: Double The Hero Excitement!

I still want City of HEROes' date=' myself, but it seems unlikely.[/quote']

Note: City of Heroes recently expanded their system with a Real Numbers display to show players what's going on "under the hood." And it turns out CoH is a roll-low to-hit system. :D:thumbup: Take that D20. ;)

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note: City of Heroes recently expanded their system with a Real Numbers display to show players what's going on "under the hood." And it turns out CoH is a roll-low to-hit system. :D:thumbup: Take that D20. ;)

Based on recent threads, that should make it far too counterintuitive and complex for most of its player base, so I guess it can't last. :cool:

Anime HERO by Michael Surbrook?

No offense to Michael, but even if such a book were to be put on the schedule, it would most likely just be announced as part of the 2009 schedule. I can't see it being singled out as a special surprise announcement. I think we're looking at something really big (Stephen King to write Horror Hero) or out of the ordinary for Hero (major or semi-major license, some completely new line of procuct, or a major company of some sort producing Hero material, for example).

I really doubt Hero will ever do "Anime Hero."

I agree. Before they even considered such a project, there would have to be a large enough base of possible buyers. In my opinion, I don't there there's enough interested in something like this.

I agree. Before they even considered such a project' date=' there would have to be a large enough base of possible buyers. In my opinion, I don't there there's enough interested in something like this.[/quote']

I would think there'd be a bigger base for Anime HERO than for Post-Apoc HERO. (Not me... I like PA more than I like Anime, but I know more people into Anime than I do people into PA.)

I would think there'd be a bigger base for Anime HERO than for Post-Apoc HERO. (Not me... I like PA more than I like Anime' date=' but I know more people into Anime than I do people into PA.)[/quote']

True. BESM sold fairly well, and HERO is well suited for the over-the-top cinematic feel of most anime. And HERO might do it some day, but I doubt it will be announced for 2009. Heck, I figure some sort of Cyber Hero first.

I think the bigger issue is that "Anime" isn't really a genre. It's a medium that includes many genres. You could just as easily say "Television HERO" or "Short Story HERO." :D

True, true. However, anime as a whole has sufficient cross-genre conventions that you could use that as a basis for fairly generic perks, talents, plotting, and so on. Also, anime has some fairly specific genres that don't get touched elsewhere and lacks some that you'd think where there (no supers for example). If such as book was written if would have to be a sort of broad-spectrum guide to different genres and the conventions common to them. as well as the fairly "typical" anime characters (example: bishy heroes, school girls, robot maids, martial arts masters, catgirls, and so on). uhm... basically my Anime Hero article from DH 8(right?) expanded to 128 pages.

I agree with Susano that an "Anime Hero" book would be possible -- I think it probably has about as much linking it together as a "genre" as Pulp does. But we have no plans to do any such book at this time.

**smacks head**

Steve, I need to remember the Pulp Hero analogy next time this comes up. Thanks for the reminder.

Man, writing an Anime Hero book ala Pulp Hero would be a blast!!!

Oh well, at least anime fans will have Kazei 5 2.0 to play with.

I think the bigger issue is that "Anime" isn't really a genre. It's a medium that includes many genres. You could just as easily say "Television HERO" or "Short Story HERO." :D

Actually, you probably could do either of those, not that many people would buy them. Something like "Short Game HERO" would be the equivalent, tips and tricks for running short, self-contained stories that still had some impact, running serial versus episodic scenarios, and so on.

What? Metaphor? What's that?

Ah' date=' very good. I fear my knowledge of anime isn't extensive enough to know that it was relatively unique.[/quote']

Super strong girls are one thing, costumed heroes who fight crime? Precious few. And A-ko didn't fight crime (or wear a costume).

Super strong girls are one thing' date=' costumed heroes who fight crime? Precious few. And A-ko didn't fight crime (or wear a costume).[/quote']

No, but she did fight an alien invasion with superpowers and a lot of superheroes these days go in for street clothes (in as much as a fuku can be considered street clothes).

However, that's enough of that.

My random guesses....

Optimistic: Digital Hero's loss is due to the impending Hero Magazine, coming to print with the support of Paizo Publishing.

Pessimistic: Hero Games has paid the 5k for early access to D&D 4th Edition developer's kit. Hero 6th Ed will be d20 based.

Surreal: Sci-Fi Channel has licensed Champions universe for a mini-series on the exploits of the Champions and their battle against the nefarious Foxbat!

Weird: Dr. Destroyer plushies!

Oh oh...I want to guess...not sure if anyone has already guessed these...

Freeport Fantasy Hero supplement?

Heroes (TV Show) using Hero?

Cthulhu Hero with Ken Hite? <- Ok...this one is a pipe dream. :rolleyes:

I also gotta comment...

I WANT a Dr D plushie!!! :D

All excited about DunDraCon! ALRIGHT!!! :celebrate

**smacks head**

Steve, I need to remember the Pulp Hero analogy next time this comes up. Thanks for the reminder.

Man, writing an Anime Hero book ala Pulp Hero would be a blast!!!

Oh well, at least anime fans will have Kazei 5 2.0 to play with.

If anything like this happens, I'd like to see some focus to the book rather than just a generic genre book. HERO already has a ton of generic tool-kit books.

I picked up Teen Champions recently and I like it a lot. I think the focus on Ravenswood is excellent. It gives the player and the GM a firm ground to stand on, and the rest of the characters in the book are further enhanced by the setting. There are plenty of generic supplements for Champions I can refer too if I want to strike out on my own. Much of the content in TC would be reusable anyway, if I stuck to the prescribed power levels.

I'd like to see a focus on one aspect of Anime -- magical worlds a la Inu Yasha, steam punk a la Full Metal Alchemist, modern world adventure, near-super human level adventure, near future/space adventure, etc. I guess I'd like something closer to Tuala Morn than Champions Universe, is what I'm saying.

It should be possible to pick a few different, compatible animes, and put them into one setting. That way everything works together as a single whole, but players and GM have a few choices to emphasize the bits they like best. A post-apocalyptic world that was like Vampire Hunter D + Tri Gun + Full Metal Alchemist + Final Fantasy VII + Princess Mononoke + a couple of others, if I knew my anime better. This way the players could choose the group and background they like best, and still have the others to flesh out NPCs and general world background.

Anyway, you can have your thread back now. :D

The problem with doing Anime Hero is the amount of research.

Soooo many "anime fans" don't actually understand a very large chunk of the visual queues they're watching.

It would require a long study of Japanse Culture, Symbolism and Mythology. My wife has spent the last eight years writing a book on just the Ghosts, Demons and other Supernatural creatures that pop up in Anime, and it's just stunning how much research has gone into it.

Sure, you could toss in all the Anime Tropes - but I really have no desire to RP Ranma 1/2, Dragonball, or Gundam Hero. They're really just sad examples of of Anima IMNSHO.

Just go buy Ninja Hero, Mike did an awesome job grabbing all the parts anyone would probably bother to RP anyways. They rest you can get from watching your favorite show (even if it is Dragonball. . .)