What happens whena ctuloid monster swallows an elder star?

Guest steamteck

Guest steamteck

OK, last night a monsterous vaguely sea dragon son of Dagon was threatening my wife's character and they knew elder stars repelled it and an NPC threw her an elder star. As the monster opened it's mouth to swallow her whole she threw it down th critters gullet. It fled back and they sealed the cave.

Now I defined it as a physical limitation "Can't pass by elder stars" infrequently ,greatly.( whole new meaning now, huh?) What should the effect be on the monster

I don't believe I misspelled "Cthuloid" in the title, nuts

Re: What happens whena ctuloid monster swallows an elder star?

What's going to be the most "interesting" outcome for your players? :eg:

My suggestion would be that the interaction of the dragon with the Elder Star opens a void leading to the underwater realm of Dagon. To close it the heroes will have to return to the dragon's cave and remove the star, in whatever dangerous manner you think is appropriate.

The results of the void could be (as suggestions) any of:

More creatures of Dagon are released into the world;

A "black hole" effect draws creatures or even the land itself down into the void;

The sea begins pouring through the void, flooding the land.

Guest steamteck

simplifying things immensely, Dagon is a Cthulhu cycle deity,who is a sea deity and patron of a bunch of intelligent scientifically and occultly creature of the black lagoon type race of beings called deep ones. The deep ones mate with humans and create half breeds who start out looking human and get more monstrous as they age, showing their heritage. Elder stars are artifacts created by the elder gods that work sort of like crosses vs. vampires against the Cthulhu cycle creatures.

It should eat the dragon's guts up which might cause it to be even more violent, perhaps driving it out in the world before it ulcerates to death.

CES

...especially since it "can't pass elder stars."

...oh, you said "can't pass by elder stars...nevermind...:o

...especially since it "can't pass elder stars."

exactly what I thought :D

In any case, I agree with the idea that some bit magical calamity type thing happens. Ocean spewing forth is most interesting to me, while black hole sucking world into it is only good if your characters can figure out how not to get sucked in... unless they have to get sucked in to fix things, then find their way out and find a crater instead of a mountain.... nevermind, go blackhole, tis more interesting!

I've always called them Elder Signs myself, rather than stars :)

However - I'm thinking of the nice SFX in the Stardust movie these days when thinking of wards. Specifically the curse laid on the witch concerning no interaction with the Star.

I wouldn't allow the Elder Sign to be able to get anywhere near a Great Old one or their offspring. There would be a barrier. I'd treat the Sign as a globe too big for them to eat and unaffected by their mass. So throwing one at sea dragon would just mean that it would move out of the way.

The whole purpose of Elder Signs is to act as protective wards - they aren't weapons and you can't attack with them. If you throw one away, you are basically getting rid of your protection.

agrees with Curufea :)

a protective ward that prevents passage, etc, should basically be a globe of force. if the radius is small enough, it might even hover in the creatures mouth, or some other neat special effect, but basically the two should never meet.

Guest steamteck

I've always called them Elder Signs myself, rather than stars :)

However - I'm thinking of the nice SFX in the Stardust movie these days when thinking of wards. Specifically the curse laid on the witch concerning no interaction with the Star.

I wouldn't allow the Elder Sign to be able to get anywhere near a Great Old one or their offspring. There would be a barrier. I'd treat the Sign as a globe too big for them to eat and unaffected by their mass. So throwing one at sea dragon would just mean that it would move out of the way.

The whole purpose of Elder Signs is to act as protective wards - they aren't weapons and you can't attack with them. If you throw one away, you are basically getting rid of your protection.

I've seen them referred to as both in various novels and in CoC. I can see where you're coming from but my on the fly decision now has precedent and actually may produce some more interesting interplay than the original story.

I'd recommend reading Brian Lumley's Spawn of the Winds if one wants to see some ideas for using Elder Signs in proactive ways. Of course, Lumley takes Derleth's bastardization of the Chthulhu Mythos and gets even more Conanesque adventure-gamey with it, so it's not for all tastes.

Guest steamteck

I'd recommend reading Brian Lumley's Spawn of the Winds if one wants to see some ideas for using Elder Signs in proactive ways. Of course' date=' Lumley takes Derleth's bastardization of the Chthulhu Mythos and gets even more Conanesque adventure-gamey with it, so it's not for all tastes.[/quote']

Gad! You're the only other person who's ever even heard of that novel I know about. I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed most of Lumley's stuff ( well I enjoyed them enough to read most of them).My players actually visited that planet in my game about 10 years ago real time.

I'd recommend reading Brian Lumley's Spawn of the Winds if one wants to see some ideas for using Elder Signs in proactive ways. Of course' date=' Lumley takes Derleth's bastardization of the Chthulhu Mythos and gets even more Conanesque adventure-gamey with it, so it's not for all tastes.[/quote']

I tried to read his stuff. Tried! But it was just way too off base for me.

TO give the Deity His due, Dagon is actually an ancient Semitic God. At some point (possibly due to being worshipped by the sea going Phoenicians) He picked up some maritime and piscine associations; this and the way He was demonized by the Hebrews in their scriptures form the basis for Lovecraft's version.

If I'm not mistaken, the modern Catholic bishop's mitre is derived from the headgear of priests of Dagon.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary smells something fishy

Guest steamteck

TO give the Deity His due, Dagon is actually an ancient Semitic God. At some point (possibly due to being worshipped by the sea going Phoenicians) He picked up some maritime and piscine associations; this and the way He was demonized by the Hebrews in their scriptures form the basis for Lovecraft's version.

If I'm not mistaken, the modern Catholic bishop's mitre is derived from the headgear of priests of Dagon.

Yes I heard of his historical past also . I obviously use the Lovecraft model. Never heard that about the Mitre though. Interesting.

Could be wrong but I thought Lovecraft's Dagon was only a VERY ancient & large Deep One himself - along with Hydra.

I believe that is the case. As in 20'+ feet tall and a million or more years old.

Guest steamteck

Could be wrong but I thought Lovecraft's Dagon was only a VERY ancient & large Deep One himself - along with Hydra.

Yes absolutely correct in Lovecraft.Both father Dagon and Mother Hydra were 20' plus tall and millions of years old Deep Ones. In my game he got a promotion.:D

Question: What happens when a ctuloid monster swallows an elder star?

Answer: You have the plot of Indiana Jones V!

Oh, sorry, that's what happens when a ctuloid monster swallows an elderly star.

:D

KA.

In my game it is followed by the foolish character who tried to ward the creature off with it. To have a greater influence "protect" the characters from the mythos to me defeats the theme of being alone. I have used them as a means to make the players feel safe. Then when they tried using it they were in for a really rude awakening. To say the characters were angry would be an understatement. The players laughed... Eventually.

In my game it is followed by the foolish character who tried to ward the creature off with it. To have a greater influence "protect" the characters from the mythos to me defeats the theme of being alone. I have used them as a means to make the players feel safe. Then when they tried using it they were in for a really rude awakening. To say the characters were angry would be an understatement. The players laughed... Eventually.

An old CoC module suggested some limits on the power of the Elder Sign when used against powerful entities. The module involved Cthulhu himself, and suggested a character warding him off with an elder sign might result in a small, elder sign-shaped piece of the character being left behind.