Avengers: The Next Generation on Hero Central

teh bunneh

Re: Avengers: The Next Generation on Hero Central

Um' date=' yeah, the whole point is to have gaps. The gaps are filled in as people make characters and write their own backstories. (snip) The story is created communally, and, if we wind up writing big chunks of it, it screws up future potential character ideas. No thanks, the openness of it all is what makes it fun.[/quote']

Now, now, remember some people really like a well thought out and planned background where all gaps are filled, I's dotted and T's crossed. It appears that Doc is one of those people.

Yup, and yup. The history is whatever the history needs to be to be the most entertaining. The bulk of Marvel stories are used as a basis to work from. Chuck what we don't like, insert what we need in order for the characters/current state of the universe to exist. Keep the rest in a 'need to know' state - when we need to know what happened to Hercules/want to introduce him into the game, we'll work it out. Until then, doesn't matter. When we do introduce him back into the world, it'll be in a way that's as consistent as possible - for example we won't say that he killed Doc Ock or just teamed up with the Vision, because those contradict other established info.

And Checkmate's certainly right - some want all the info up front. That's certainly a valid way to do it. We don't - we want to leave as many options open as possible within X framework. And that's just as valid a way of doing it.

The two styles certainly don't mesh too well together though. :D

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the face' date=' not sure if you're serious, but ... you can't do throws, mobile blasts, grabs, the whole 'damn I'm good at this' sort of thing. On the other hand, that's the way you wanted to put it together, so ... :)[/quote']

Yeah that was probably the wrong choice of smiles. It was meant to show that "yes I really am that retarded".

Now please correct me if I'm wrong, (and don't worry about offending me, I have no problem saying "Meh you're probably right, but I like my way better") but I can still do throws right? Isn't a grab and throw doable in one Phase now? As far as mobile blasts and grabs, I assume you're talking about Passing Strike and the like? I have always thought these maneuvers were pretty unbalanced and will rarely use them.

I'm also not sure why he couldn't say 'damn I'm good a this'? What am I missing? Again, fire away I can take it :D

OK, had some dinner, took a shower, not feeling so snippy anymore. Sorry for that.

Anyway, what Milkman Dan said. We haven't filled out the entire history of everything because we want room to play -- for new characters to join as old ones drop out, for new stories to be told.

/rant warning!

Do you see what I'm getting at? Your history is kinda sloppy and full of vast empty spaces. Now it's true that some of these spaces are going to be filled by the characters' back stories, but what I'm seeing right now is looking mighty sparse.

Just sayin' you might want to think things through a bit more and flesh things out more to fill in the gaps.

Franky, I don't see what you are getting at. I understand the questions, and the mindset that prompts them, but its rooted in a philosophical and stylistic disconnect. Now, I'm not a participant in the bunnyverse, and I'm far from an expert, but the entire point of leaving the backstory as open as possible is to give both the gamemaster and players room to operate. Its also an immense amount of work. Marvel has printed hundreds of titles over the years. They've had a million continuity flops of their own making that they have no way of cleaning up. Characters have come and gone in the droves.

Do you have any idea how much work it would be to deal with just the Avengers chronology and roster, let alone the X-nightmare, let alone the whole marvel 'verse? Unless something directly impacts the story its not relevant, and could provide an unintended straightjacket later. I'm not saying what you are suggesting is a wrong-headed method; it works for some groups, but for what the bunny is trying to accomplish its wrong. I couldn't even begin to write a good backstory for my character proposal if I had to wade through that kind of data - and it wouldn't be much fun, either, because I couldn't make any decisions, or add anything of my own. There is a cooperative aspect to the method the bunny has adopted.

Not only that, but your tone and tenor are rude. Not kinda. Not sorta. Not just a little bit. Its not the game for you? Great. Less competition for the rest of us. But you have to be insulting about it? I don't know of many people who would react well, or be interested in hearing what you want to get across, when you tell them their work is sloppy. Especially when what you see as sloppy was a conscious, deliberate stylistic decision.

So what's been going on in the Bunnyverse' date=' villainwise, since 1988? Without the Avengers to stop him why hasn't Ultron, or Kang, somebody taken over the world? Were all the bad guys killed first? Did they get bored without anybody to give a real fight and retire?[/quote']

Since they aren't ruling the world - obviously not.

Its sufficient to say they either retired, died, or were defeated.

Some may still be out there; others not.

Some hero somewhere stopped them.

Do we really have to have a timeline listing every issue of every title and every storyline of the last 25 years?

Do you know how many titles Marvel has cut off at the knees without resolution?

I'd say its genre appropriate.

I understand what you're trying to do' date=' and I approve. Even if I do hate to lose some of my favorite characters. But you've jumped fourty + years of history without completely thinking things out.[/quote']

How much effort have Marvel's editors put into continuity over the years? Did they really "think things out?"

Example: you have MJ conceiving in her late 40s' date=' unlikely but possible. But in twenty years of marriage this is the Parkers' one and only child? Sorry but I have trouble swallowing this without some explanation of why.[/quote']

I hate to burst your bubble, but what planet are you living on? Do women in your world stop being fertile before they have menopause? I see women in their middle forties having babies all the time. Admittedly, I live in a different social set than you do, but there it is. I have a lady who works for me who conceived at forty-three and has one child - and she's an orthodox Jewess who was married for twenty years before he was born. Its not like they weren't trying. Abraham and Sarah come to mind.

And the family in the top two floors of my unit have thirteen kids, the wife is forty-one, and they have no intention of slowing down. Across the street there is a family with sixteen. The wife had her last child when she was forty-seven. On my planet child-bearing stops at menopause. There are people who have fertility issues, and some who can't conceive without some sort of medical intervention. And people make choices - especially in the modern west. Its quite common for people to decide exactly how many children they want, or not to have any at all, and has been since the advent of reliable contraception. I'm an only child, despite my parents being married long enough to have had several. And in my community, the fact that I have two children, but have been married a decade, is looked askance at - but no one asks me why. Its my business, no one wants to pry.

MJ could have had fertility issues, a hormonal spike that messed with her contraceptive cycle, or a miracle. Or, they could have decided they had one last chance for a child and regretted not having done it earlier and got some medical help. They could have tried for years and then gotten lucky after having given up. Does it really matter?

Are our characters parents' reproductive choices (or difficulties) really important to the formation of the universe?

Nick Fury retired' date=' Why, did he stop taking the Infinity Formula?[/quote']

Who cares? Unless it impacts the plot, it doesn't matter. A dozen reasonable explanations could be provided if you wanted to come up with one. Its left open so it can be worked with later - if and when it becomes relevant.

While all these older heroes were retired and raising kids' date=' who was keeping the world safe? Was there an intermediate generation of heroes that watched over the world between then and now? And if so, where are they now?[/quote']

The Great Lakes Avengers?

:help:

/rant off

I'm also not sure why he couldn't say 'damn I'm good a this'? What am I missing? Again' date=' fire away I can take it :D[/quote']

Yes, you can do throws. Part of the whacky kung-fu goodness of martial arts, however, is that it makes you 'better' than your normal +0 OCV +0 DCV +0 Damage Grab/Squeeze or Grab/Throw, or your base Dodge or Block or whatever you happen to be using. With a 29 Dex, Defensive Maneuver I-IV, Combat Sense at 13-, and a +3 overall, yes, you are amazingly good at it -- and I suppose that's what you're aiming for.

I also just saw the +40 STR, only to mimic martial maneuvers, so that fills in for a lot of it; not sure I'd give you more than -1/4 for it, though. Dunno. I guess with the way you put it all together, it really does reflect all the things you can do with most of the martial maneuvers.

---

You know, if I was Bunny, I'd almost have to go with Ms. Octavia Banner-Romanov. (Yes, there's a major mental disconnect there for me; I simply can not imagine the Black Widow hooking up with Bruce.) The effort put into the background, personality, etc. is amazing. Kudos to the job, Vondy.

You know, if I was Bunny, I'd almost have to go with Ms. Octavia Banner-Romanov. (Yes, there's a major mental disconnect there for me; I simply can not imagine the Black Widow hooking up with Bruce.) The effort put into the background, personality, etc. is amazing. Kudos to the job, Vondy.

Thanks!

A snippet from the background section I'm working on:

"And there was her mother: Natasha Romanov had not only consoled Bruce Banner of his wife and stood with him through the hearings and both court cases, she had fallen into his bed – and by the time the dust settled and Bruce was tentatively taking his first steps without the Hulk, she was pregnant with Octavia. It was an odd pairing. Octavia had never been able to understand what had attracted her mother to a man like her father – but she remembered the intense, loving, romantic bond her parents had shared."

I figured you explained it somewhere and i missed it...and I didn't want to ask :o

Is it your birthday?

I assumed it was your zip code

Good guesses, but no.

On the telephone keypad, "28669" spells "bunny." :D

OK, it's kinda lame I admit. But I like it! :o

Okay, quick second submission:

The Osprey II: Inheriting his dads costume wings and the Wizard's Disk. Like his dad he has no superpowers but thinks he's got the stuff none the same. Now, the only real question is how do I get this shlub up to 600 points?

Okay, quick second submission:

The Osprey II: Inheriting his dads costume wings and the Wizard's Disk. Like his dad he has no superpowers but thinks he's got the stuff none the same. Now, the only real question is how do I get this shlub up to 600 points?

... you don't?

These are the Avengers. If the character hasn't got the chops -- if, in DC, he wouldn't be able to fit into the JLA -- he isn't going to be one of Earth's Mightiest Heroes . He needs to have either enormous raw power or incredible technique, as well as that driving need to be A Hero!! Someone who snagged Dad's X and his old friend's Y and went out to do something would fit more into the Thunderbolts, I'd think...

... you don't?

These are the Avengers. If the character hasn't got the chops -- if, in DC, he wouldn't be able to fit into the JLA -- he isn't going to be one of Earth's Mightiest Heroes . He needs to have either enormous raw power or incredible technique, as well as that driving need to be A Hero!! Someone who snagged Dad's X and his old friend's Y and went out to do something would fit more into the Thunderbolts, I'd think...

Sorry, it was intended as a joke post. here is The Osprey. He somehow got tied to the Marvel table top game as a how to model a character example.

I won't be rebuilding Dynasty for submission after all. I think he'd be too redundant with all the scientists and battlesuits already there. I may have one other concept to finish up tonight, but we'll see. There are so many good ideas already, and I'm lucky to already be in the Bunnyverse elsewhere.

Vondy

Octavia Banner (does she have a superhero code name?): Daughter of Bruce Banner and Natasha Romanova, inherited the Hulk's strength if not his rage.

I am totally stumped on a super-hero name.

I don't want a name appended with "II."

Jade has been used in DC.

I'm open to suggestions.

I don't want a name appended with "II."

Jade has been used in DC.

I'm open to suggestions.

Well, as you point out, Jade was taken in D.C, while this is set in a varient MU

so that might still work :)

Of course, Emerald and Malachite might also work.

I'm open to suggestions.

I recommend Knockout.

(Other suggestions include Emerald, Malachite, Gamma Girl, Impact, Gladiatrix, Hardcore, Risque, Broadside, Wildheart, Fury, or Haymaker)

Lonewalker

combo names: Emerald/ Jade - Spider/ Widow

brick names: Gargantua (a giant from folklore), Mrs. Fixit (homage to Joe Fixit)

spy names: Harlequin (has multiple meanings and is also a shade of green), October (the eighth month, also used by her mother)

[edit] Woops meant the name to be Ms. Fixit.