Language Games and Fantasy Languages

Sociotard

Most people aren't interested in learning Quenya just to add atmosphere during games sessions. At most they announce that "My character says this in Old Draconic."

Lately we've been experimenting with language games (speaking english with little tweaks, like pig latin) to replicate the feel of a world in which language is important and not everybody speaks "common"

We started off using "Alfalfa". For each vowel sound, change the sound to (vowel)lf(vowel), so:

"I speak Elvish"

"Ilfi spealfeak Elfelvilfish"

It was clunky at first, but everybody caught on fairly quickly, and it was fun. It really added some roleplaying feel. We're thinking of adapting some of the games on the Wiki entry with other sounds to make other languages. I wish I'd thought to try it during my Globetrotting Pulp game.

Halfas alfanylfybolfodylfy elfese trylfed thilfis?

Re: Language Games and Fantasy Languages

We had "Trollish" which annoyed the GM greatly (after a while).

Trollish was just a matter of ending every sentence with "thwock".

I really liked the race in the Doctor Who episode whose last survivor was an anthropomorphic insect called Chen-Tho. It was protocol in her race that every sentence was bracketed with the name of the speaker - possibly for identification purposes. "Chen, my name is Chen-Tho tho."

For fun at school, we'd sometime use Drilligible. Illigit involegolved lolegots of "l"s alegand "g"s.

To get the feel of not knowing a language we had, in one game, a set of sheets for limited language use. It was essentially a list of words that could be used to make sentences and the less talented at the language the fewer words you had at your disposal.

In one game we had a major curse levelled at us which left us all with only the very basic word list (I think 40 words).

It was fun but frustrating.

Dark thing, pointy thing. Hurt thing. Go. You. Me. Hurt Dark thing.

Doc

In one game we had a major curse levelled at us which left us all with only the very basic word list (I think 40 words).

Doc

There's a game (land of Og, I think) which has this premise, leading to conversations like "Sun down, sun sun sun sun, you go big thing"

It's a hoot to play for an evening, but I don't think I could deal with it in a RPG.

As for languages, in one game the GM spoke spanish, which at that time, none of us did - so his foreigners all spoke spanish.....

cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

To get the feel of not knowing a language we had, in one game, a set of sheets for limited language use. It was essentially a list of words that could be used to make sentences and the less talented at the language the fewer words you had at your disposal.

Doc

THIS. This is brilliant. I want to steal this idea. Not really sure how I'd go about executing it, though.

I have never gone to the lengths of different languages, but I have used accents for some characters and catch phrases or expressions as a hook. It added nice flavor, but you have to be consistent because the players will come to depend on those little cues to follow who is talking. It is great when I am on top of it, but confusing when I slip.

And of course be careful not to offend anyone; I seem to recall a there being some anger at George Lucas about the accents some characters used right after the Phantom Menace came out.

Another "english twist" is what I learned as being called "dog talk" (dunno why...). Basically, before any vowel you put ib (eye-bh). Dibo yibou ibundiberstiband hibow tibo ribead thibis? Great fun, and hella hard to understand until you get the hang of it (well, for me anyway, not for my sister whom seems to be a sponge for language... I'm so jealous).

That actually not a bad idea tho if you can keep track of it all, I might try that if given the chance!

THIS. This is brilliant. I want to steal this idea. Not really sure how I'd go about executing it' date=' though.[/quote']

The execution is really simple. You just have several lists of words that people are allowed to use in certain circumstances and then let them go with it.

People learn the lists really quickly (if you play often enough) and consult them for words they need.

It is usually best for a series of adventures where it is used constantly - each adventure seeing an increased number of words to reflect the characters growing grasp of the language...

It is true - my friend, who started all this in our group - essentially used Land of Og as inspiration.

Doc