What Non-Fiction Book have you just finished?

ahduval

Blood Work, A Tale of Medicine and Murder

Essentially the story of how the development of blood transfusion was delayed for 150 years by massive freakouts at the idea. The murder part comes with an experiment in using transfusion to treat a violently crazy guy who was then poisoned by his wife who was not thrilled to have her violently insane spouse back

I just finished Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines. It had superheroes and zombies! What more could you want?

It really was an exciting and compelling book. It was a fast read, and truly a lot of fun. I loved the character of St. George.

I see now that I have not read the title of this thread very well. Obviously, Ex-Heroes is not a Non-Fiction book. Oh well...sorry :)

• 4 weeks later...

I listen to audiobooks when I'm in the car and get through a lot of material I would never have taken the time to read. For example, my most recent autobiography was Just a Guy by Bill Engvall. It wasn't spectacular but it was entertaining and had a bit of real emotion mixed in with the humor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Homicide: A Year on the Killing streets by Dan Simon. This is the book that became the TV series Homicide with Yaphet Kotto. If you are familiar with The Wire then a lot of names and things come into the series from the book. Very good and very human. Dan spent a year with the Baltimore Homicide squad and saw all sorts of things. From the politics to the coroner work to the way the detectives make and break cases.

"Rot, Riot, and Rebellion" by Rex Bowman and Carlos Santos, a history of the University of Virginia's early years.  If anyone tells you that today's college students are lazy, entitled, disrespectful and violent, refer them to this book.  A full review at http://www.skjam.com/2013/10/14/book-review-rot-riot-and-rebellion-mr-jeffersons-struggle-to-save-the-university-that-changed-america/

• 2 months later...

Last three books I've finished -

Dad is Fat - Jim Gaffigan: amusing look at life with six kids and a tiny New York apartment. He works a bit of his stand up into it. 

Goodmorning Nantwich - Phil Jupitus: Autobigraphy of UK comedian/radio DJ mainly concerned with his radio show. Fun and interesting.

Backstory - David Mitchell: another autobiography about a UK Comedian. Funny and sentimental. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Will to Live" by Les Stroud, perhaps better known as "Survivorman" on the Discovery Channel.  Les recounts several instances of people stuck in survival situations, including himself, and comments on what they did or could have done better during their ordeal.  These include the Andes plane crash survivors who had to resort to cannibalism to survive; Chris McCandless, who sought to live on his own in the Alaskan wilderness; the Robertson family who were adrift at sea for 38 days; and others.

The main takeaways from the book are the importance of recognizing when you're in a survival situation, constantly working proactively to better one's situation in those circumstances, and above all maintaining a determination to survive.  A pretty gripping read that does what it says on the jacket, but seems slightly incomplete, as though it needs to be supplemented with some more complete straightforward survival advice. 

... ones that will have you going what ? like Panipat and Lepanto.

??? How could you possibly not know about Lepanto?!? Woof, of the ones you name, Pearl Harbor doesn't belong at all, as a battle, anyway. As arguably the greatest strategic blunder ever made, perhaps it does, but as a battle, not so much.