The Old Guard

Hermit

Re: Two campaigns

Originally posted by MoonHunter

Outsiders

This campaign was based on the notion that paranormals had been around since the begining of humanity. They served as the basis for myth and folklore. Vampires, Werewolves, Mages, Sorcereers, Immortals, and current Psionics were all 75+75 plus eps characters. Their culture was that of hiding themselves among the humans and protecting the secret of their existance. There numbers were growing, as the number of humans with "Talent" were increasing. SNIP

[/b]

I've been using something similar for years.

:)

Very flexible background, and plenty of great sources to draw on.

Re: Re: Two campaigns

Originally posted by OddHat

I've been using something similar for years.

:)

Very flexible background, and plenty of great sources to draw on.

Ive gone that road before in several supers campaigns too. The only real downside is you can get stuck doing historical research to make some angles "authentic". And you can go too far and end up with a White Wolf-esque world where seemingly EVERYTHING can be traced to powered individuals, which gets silly.

In the campaign I'm currently working on the Gold and Silver Age heroes will be the real legendary types. They did great deeds, saved the world, came back from the dead, built secret bases, had statues built in their honour and places named after them. Their greatest battles even affected the geography of the Earth. They constructed mighty artefacts and weapons some of which are still kicking around.

In virtually all cases these heroes will be dead, missing or powerless in the current age.

It seems to me the real mythology of comic books is limited to:

GA Captain Marvel

SA Superman

Some of the legends and stuff associated with the GLC

Jack Kirby's Fourth World

Possibly GA Wonder Woman

That's it. All DC. The Marvel heroes are more down to earth.

Originally posted by Doug McCrae

It seems to me the real mythology of comic books is limited to:

GA Captain Marvel

SA Superman

Some of the legends and stuff associated with the GLC

Jack Kirby's Fourth World

Possibly GA Wonder Woman

That's it. All DC. The Marvel heroes are more down to earth.

Sure. No Marvel hero has ever saved the world from Galactus, have they? None of them have ever zipped around space on a surfboard. None of them is a Thunder God, the Sorceror Supreme, or the ruler of Atlantis. No, they are all far too down to earth for all that.

This is all a bit silly. Flagsuits and non-powered detectives are just as much part of the "mythology" of comic books as their more powerful counterparts. Mythology is about Heroes as well as Gods, Giants and Titans. For every Hercules, there is an Odysseus as well. For every Great Warrior, there is a Trickster, and so on.

Shrug. This is a game of definitions, so I'll stop before it gets sillier.

Alan

Re: Mythology

Originally posted by Hermit

As for Marvel's contributions, I would put the Fantastic Four there as well.

Also Captain America, but that maybe my like of the guy biasing me :)

Yes. I mentioned that certain Marvel characters had fended off Galactus. :)

More generally, the FF are probably the most iconic of the scientific adventurer heroes in comics. The Challengers of the Unknown can't cut it.

Captain America is, no doubt, the best known of the flagsuits. None of DC's come anywhere close.

And, I guess, the Hulk is by far the best known Monster-Hero. Whether or not that's a legitimate legendary type is another question, which just brings us back to definitions.

Alan

Assault: Good points. Not silly at all IMO.

I was thinking of stuff like the Phantom Zone, Bottle City of Kandor, the Superman Emergency Squad, Lori Lemaris, the Fortress of Solitude, Kryptonian geography (Fire Falls, Red Forest) and history. What I would call the Superman mythos.

From Captain Marvel: Shazam, the Seven Deadly Enemies of Man, the Rock of Ages, all those other guys with the Shazam powers.

Green Lantern mythos: The story of Krona, the history of Oa/Qward and that sort of thing.

Virtually everything to do with the New Gods counts as myth so I don't need to list anything individually.

Marvel: You're right about the Fantastic Four, Thor, Namor and Galactus. The old 'Tales of Asgard' strip in Thor which I've never read. The Celestials and other cosmic beings. The Eternals. Phoenix from the X-Men maybe? The Kree-Skrull War?

Old Guard and REALLY Old Guard...

In my mind, mythic characters are beyond "Old Guard"

In my game, I think of old guard as recent historical figures that define the "heroic age" of the costumed figures.

If you want mythic... I just went to the source. I've made it a long running campaign plot that the old gods are returning. They made a major push back into the mortal realms in the early '90s, but have been behind the scenes since. The reasons for this are becoming apparent in the last year or so... and a new theory is gaining strength.

Perhaps the so called "gods" are simple some of the earliest metahumans. Even low powered metas would seem godlike to primitive cultures, and their powers and influence would be shaped by their cultures and societies.

This theory is important, because a PC who has, through years of gaming, died multiple times, being reborn each time more powerful... has fought and defeated his father, usurping his position... etc., etc... is now being worshipped by a growing cult who see him as a "new god."

What is especially cool, is that these events have just "happened" as a course of gaming. As a GM, I saw them unfold, but I did not force any of the events, nor did I encourage the player to start tapping into the latent power of devout worship... but he has.

The rest of the team is beginning to fear what this PC is becoming...

It doesn't get much cooler than that.:D

We have a silver age group and a golden age old guard in our game, each taken from other campaigns...

The Junior Achievers (Silver Age) were a teen team established in 1959 by Doc Wizard. when creating PC's for this, each player had to detail the PC's connection to a World War II hero.

The team members were:

Johnny Angel: combat precog whose daddy, Rebel Walker, fought with Sarge Steele in the Suicide Squadron, and whose neighbor, Doctor Daedalus was a Homefront Hero.

Stray Cat: martial artist who ran away after finding evidence that her parents, the homefront heroes Black Cat and Mad Dog, were involved in criminal activity

Mastermind: 13 year old Bobby Oppenheimer II, named after his famous uncle, has discovered the secret to cold fusion, and keeps it hidden in his battle suit so the government won't turn it into a bomb.

Barracuda half-breed heir apparent to the Atlantean throne with the ability to mimic the powers of marine life, Shelly Beechwood grew up on the shores of Florida with her human father.

more to follow...

Re: Re: Mythology

Originally posted by assault

Captain America is, no doubt, the best known of the flagsuits. None of DC's come anywhere close.

Alan

I submit to you that Superman is not only a flag-suit character, the first superhero, he is WAY better known than Capt. America. Does Supes have stars and bars? No. But his colors are those of the american flag and was purposely done as such.

Have to disagree, Storn.

The American Flag is red, white, and blue. Superman's costume is blue, red, and yellow. The idea wasn't to give Supes the colors of the flag, but to oufit him in primary colors. If Superman is a flag-suit, then so is Spider-Man, and I think we can all agree that nobody would ever call Spidey a flag-suit.:)

Re: Have to disagree, Storn.

Originally posted by GenreFiend

The American Flag is red, white, and blue. Superman's costume is blue, red, and yellow. The idea wasn't to give Supes the colors of the flag, but to oufit him in primary colors. If Superman is a flag-suit, then so is Spider-Man, and I think we can all agree that nobody would ever call Spidey a flag-suit.:)

In fact, Storn has a point, one which I was aware of, but decided to ignore.

Superman does have a "Truth, Justice and the American Way" thing happening. Whatever snide comments that may bring to mind, he does have a fair bit of Super-Patriotness, even if he isn't a literal flagsuit.

If you want a more literal flagsuit, try Wonder Woman. The best thing about it is: she's not an American! :)

Of course, we could argue about different versions of her costume, but the stars and stripe motif is definitely there.

However, I don't think that in either of those cases the flagsuitness is the primary aspect of the character in the same very obvious manner as Captain America.

But, yes, as I said, Storn has a point.

Alan

Re: Re: Have to disagree, Storn.

Originally posted by assault

Superman does have a "Truth, Justice and the American Way" thing happening. Whatever snide comments that may bring to mind, he does have a fair bit of Super-Patriotness, even if he isn't a literal flagsuit.

Yes, though I was teasing about the colors. Also, keep in mind that at least in the era of the Fleischer cartoons, Superman only fought for "Truth and Justice"; the "American Way" part was added for the 1950s TV show, and I suspect for similar cultural reasons to the ones that got "Under God" added to the Pledge of Allegiance...

Re: The Old Guard

I don't use them much, and there aren't too many. Heroes started just prior to 1950 so the oldest guard is 50 years old, but very few of the original few have lived on. In fact the first super, whose powers closely resembled Superman of the comic books, was killed very early on.

The oldest active super is Spiderman, who arose shortly after Superman in 1948. He's semi-retired now. My players have met him drinking heavily (with his body chemistry it takes a LOT to get himself drunk) at a private party in a secret Detroit mutant club that exclusively caters to the better-known and more glamorous heroes. He's a bit cynical but still light-hearted; a bit of a womanizer in his old age.

They've also run into Dr. Strange, whose been around since the late '60s. He's fairly serious and is actually keeping tabs due to a somewhat reckless scientist-turned-occultist in the group.

Doc Magnus has been around since the '60s as well, and developed the Metal Men in 1965. They've been rebuilt several times, naturally, and our group has met them as well. Also they've met Doc Magnus whose a very distracted, erratic but brilliant scientist.

Basically, these have all served mostly as color, but in a few cases also as contacts. Doc Magnus was unable or unwilling to help one character develop some deep government contacts but Gold was willing to do so.

There's a more detailed but sadly incomplete world history at http://www.asterick.com/realschluss/x-champions/x-champions_setting/x-history.htm More general info on the world setting linked at http://www.asterick.com/realschluss/x-champions/x-champions_setting/index.html

Originally posted by Doug McCrae

Spider-Man in the 1950s!!? Why'd you do that?

I just wanted to have Spiderman around as an older, senior hero, essentially the equivalent of Superman as the oldest and greatest. For reasons I don't want to go into (at least one player reads these boards), I wanted superheroes to start at that tiem.

As a side benefit, it was nice that he was around as a reporter with virtually unlimited access to super-battles and such. In fact, Peter Parker's photo essays went a long way to helping keep the image of mutant vigilantes alive as a heroic one - although they also served as a reminder of the mutant criminals bedeviling society, so a mixed bag in that way.

Why not put him in the 50s?

• 10 years later...