URBAN FANTASY HERO -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: URBAN FANTASY HERO -- What Do *You* Want To See?

That's called Jethro Tull. :)

This is the second RPG forum I've read this afternoon to mention Jethro Tull... which is odd since I'm listening to Songs from the Wood at the moment. Been one of those sorts of days... the fairies are probably tinkering with the stereo... :)

This is the second RPG forum I've read this afternoon to mention Jethro Tull... which is odd since I'm listening to Songs from the Wood at the moment. Been one of those sorts of days... the fairies are probably tinkering with the stereo... :)

For some reason it's considered hip to diss Jethro Tull. I can't really think why. Aqualung in particular is a brilliant album, in which Ian Anderson explores religion, what it is and what it isn't.

If it's cool to slam Jethro Tull, I'm not sure I want to.

Not that I'm a big Tull groupie, but I have no issues with their work. There are less deserving bands with higher ratings.

Is this that old Metallica flap again? I think Tull are second-rate, but I don't hate them like some Metallica fans.

One possibility' date=' which is probably already listed, is that magic can disguise fantasy creatures (elves, dragons, etc.) as normal humans so that they live among us with most people unaware of the fact. It takes a special talent to see them for what they are (although they can see each other just fine).[/quote']This is how the dragons, vampires, and werewolves in my previously-cited group walk among us (though the vampires can generally only come out at night).

Speaking of werewolves, how big a disad would being bloodthirsty while in were form be -- in other words, being under a compulsion to kill once a month during the full moon. A really nasty variation is that you can't be a human again UNTIL you kill somebody.

Speaking of werewolves' date=' how big a disad would being bloodthirsty while in were form be -- in other words, being under a compulsion to kill once a month during the full moon. A [i']really nasty[/i] variation is that you can't be a human again UNTIL you kill somebody.
Yeah, that would really bite. ;)

In viewing the board, I saw a topic about Secret Service in the Dark Champions section. It would be good to have a section detailing how the government deals with magic, as well as protection of VIPs for the various subgenres. For an open magic setting, there may be a cabinet position for a wizard in charge of the Department of Magic. For a hidden magic setting, there might be a shadow organization like the BRPD that is a division of the FBI. In the Potter-verse, at least in England, there was communication between the Prime Minister and the Minister of Magic, especially when muggles were in danger.

Depending on the types of magic, there would also be ways to protect VIPs. Obviously the person who can control nuclear weapons is going to be protected from mind control. Also a number of wealthy people might also be enough in the know to hire their own private arcane security. Returning to the Dresden-verse Marcone and his underworld dealings sometimes come in conflict with other hidden organizations, such as vampires, and Marcone has hired a magician to help defend himself.

Depending on the types of magic' date=' there would also be ways to protect VIPs. Obviously the person who can control nuclear weapons is going to be protected from mind control. Also a number of wealthy people might also be enough in the know to hire their own private arcane security. Returning to the Dresden-verse Marcone and his underworld dealings sometimes come in conflict with other hidden organizations, such as vampires, and Marcone has hired a magician to help defend himself.[/quote']

But who defends Marcone from the magician? ;)

In viewing the board, I saw a topic about Secret Service in the Dark Champions section. It would be good to have a section detailing how the government deals with magic, as well as protection of VIPs for the various subgenres. For an open magic setting, there may be a cabinet position for a wizard in charge of the Department of Magic. For a hidden magic setting, there might be a shadow organization like the BRPD that is a division of the FBI. In the Potter-verse, at least in England, there was communication between the Prime Minister and the Minister of Magic, especially when muggles were in danger.

Depending on the types of magic, there would also be ways to protect VIPs. Obviously the person who can control nuclear weapons is going to be protected from mind control. Also a number of wealthy people might also be enough in the know to hire their own private arcane security. Returning to the Dresden-verse Marcone and his underworld dealings sometimes come in conflict with other hidden organizations, such as vampires, and Marcone has hired a magician to help defend himself.

One of the most enjoyable games I've ever been in was me and two other players, with PCs who were members of the FBI's Special Affairs Division (World of Darkness).

I played a former occult/anthropology writer who had gotten way too close to the truth, and had the broadest base of knowledge. He was recruited after a vampire tried to kill him. What made him effective was high mental stats, a load of knowledges, and 10 Willpower (in Hero terms, that's something like a normal having a 25 EGO and Mental Defense -- it made him largely immune to most mental powers he was likely to run into simply by making the difficulty on the rolls to affect him a 10).

The second PC agent was the hand to hand expert, who was secretly a ghoul to a vampire. Even she didn't know that she was a ghoul. The effects of the blood she was being fed made her stronger and tougher than she looked, and she was very skilled in Jujitsu (note, not sport Judo).

The third PC agent was the master marksman, and had the best single moment/line of the campaign -- *shrug* "Casualities happen." *bang*.

SAD only has a few dozen agents, and the WoD is full of vampires and werewolves and whatnot, so my PC took a sort of "damage control" and "acceptable crime level" approach. He couldn't take them all on, so he had to treat most of them as "minor" criminals he would use to get to the most vile and dangerous creatures. Getting the other two PCs to go always along with this approach, and keeping some of what they were doing from his superiors, was a challenge.

SAD only has a few dozen agents' date=' and the WoD is full of vampires and werewolves and whatnot, so my PC took a sort of "damage control" and "acceptable crime level" approach. He couldn't take them all on, so he had to treat most of them as "minor" criminals he would use to get to the most vile and dangerous creatures. Getting the other two PCs to go always along with this approach, and keeping some of what they were doing from his superiors, was a challenge.[/quote']

That sounds very much like the "World of Dark Champions" game that the late, lamented RJM Hughes was involved in.

Hi,my name is Trevor,and I am a newbie and longtime Hero fan(I played in the 1st ever Justice Inc. tourney at Gencon,and used a 1st edition box set for original champions.I learned about this game from the Deleria board,and would love to help,suggest ,street team or do whatever I can to help.

Here's what I'd like to see in Urban Fantasy Hero:

1)Rules for newbies.I think Urban Fantasy is a great genre to introduce people to RPGs.Trust me when I say the biggest problem with most RPGs is that they can't be played easily by people new to RPGs.

2) A nice overview of wherever the game is set, whether it's new or not

3)The ability to play the game w/o purchasing other RPGs.

4)the ability to have your game shape the game world.Trust me when I say after twenty odd years of cons, that this has been promised by many,and delivered by none. I don't care if it means a message board, or just having games at regional cons that affect it,but it has been promised, and there's lots of gGMs who would throw their d20 stuff in a pile for the one game that does it.

5)A working magic system that can be leveled to the style of the game. the difference in magic in Sandman vs. Newford vs. Anita Blake is huge.And please,don't make it as bad as the magic in Charmed, or as incomplete as Eden Studios Witchcraft

6)No fae player characters,ever. And make sure the penalties for vamp and were characters balance out the power they give.

7)A playtest somewhere near Charlotte,NC so I could try it before I buy it,and maybe get a playtest group going in this RPG-less city

Trevor,down below the Mason-Dixon line for only a year.

Has anybody already requested a quality description of the Catholic Church? I know' date=' that organization is so large and complex there'd be no way for any RPG-sized description to do it justice. Even so, it appears so often in the Devils and Witches subgenre of Urban Fantasy. Heck, maybe throw in a couple of other religions for variety? (I wonder who a Muslim calls for an exorcism?)[/quote']

I'm fairly certain that would be too large for the book. Besides real life information about religions is readily available on the internet and needs no changing for Urban Fantasy.

Both valid points, but I would like to see at least a basic organizational chart with a brief glossary of important terms. The most important part would be a small write-up/guide for integrating the ‘Church’ into a game. Not super detailed and with massive detail, but just enough to prompt the GM’s memory if they are already familiar or give someone that is not knowledgeable on the subject enough to wing it or have a starting point for research.

In my very very very limited experience, most RPG sessions that touch on ‘real world’ religions tend to stay very general and vague using just enough detail to get by the current plot. An organizational chart showing what and where the various groups and ranks apply fills most needs. “What is a Diocese and what rank heads it” type of stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

So...No one's posted on here in about two weeks.Is there playtesting going on? where is the book at,in terms of writing? Curious people want to know more

Trevor,living on Dayquil

Steve's front page update states he's started writing Chapter 4 which is a series of settings for Urban Fantasy Campaigns.

Steve doesn't usually do playtesting for Genre Books, considering no new rules are present and it's simply advice on bending HERO to that particular genre.