Considering a new campaign idea and format

Darren Watts

Re: Considering a new campaing idea and format

Hey all! I've never run a play-by-post game before' date=' and am considering doing so on Hero Central. Is anybody interested in trying out a Star*Guard-only sci-fi/supers game to help me explore the medium of online pbp games? I'm thinking high-powered and pulpy, along the lines of Green Lantern Corps/Lensman/Spaceknights... dw[/quote']

I never read the original Lensmen stuff, but I love the GLC and was a big fan of the Rom Comics, so am I interested? Heck yeah :)

Re: Considering a new campaign idea and format

Sounds very cool, and I am interrested in the idea of a Galactic Champions game. My only concern is that all the characters would become repetitive if they all have the same powers, and all are trained in the same martial arts, it would be hard to show how different you are to the others.

But no I would be interested in such a game if it happened.

Sounds very cool, and I am interrested in the idea of a Galactic Champions game. My only concern is that all the characters would become repetitive if they all have the same powers, and all are trained in the same martial arts, it would be hard to show how different you are to the others.

But no I would be interested in such a game if it happened.

In such a situation, the differences between characters are more in personalities and approaches. Just look at the differences between Hal Jordan, Kyle Ranier, Guy Gardner, and John Stewart.

In such a situation' date=' the differences between characters are more in personalities and approaches. Just look at the differences between Hal Jordan, Kyle Ranier, Guy Gardner, and John Stewart.[/quote']

Add to that the many alien races you could (I presume) play in such a game, and the options open wide even further despite power similarities :)

Perhaps some of the unique racial abilities of the various Hero Universe aliens could be played up: Dorvalan energy-absorption, Belaxian density and strength, Mandaarian or Varanyi psionics, etc.

Along those lines, would there be a possibility of playing Star*Marshals assisting the various Guards?

Rod: Be happy to have you or anybody else new to pbp gaming. I've never done it myself, and figured it was about time I joined the kids today with their newfangled hula hoops and fax machines.

As far as making characters different, I think the sameness of power structures is a feature, not a bug. Part of the coolosity of the "corps of heroes" concept is the idea that you're part of a larger force, all heroes much like yourself, devoted to a common good and sharing a similar background. There would be plenty of points left over to personalize the characters- the required package for training and personal gear is 152 points, and the players would also be expected to pitch in towards the base and starjet. I'm guessing the beginning power level would be around 250+150, so there's a couple hundred more points to play with individualizing. I'd love to use some of the weirder aliens from both Champs and Star Hero, too.

LL: I'd love it if somebody wanted to play a Marshal. In fact, I was considering having each player play both a Guard and a Marshal, so that each would get an individualized personality at least. Marshals would all be in the 100-150 point range, so I doubt anybody'd be happy to play only a Marshal. dw

How many PCs would you have? It would probably be easier for them to not tread on each other's schticks if there weren't too many of them.

(And yes, I would be interested in playing. ;) )

I'd probably cap it to start at 4 or 5. I'm currently running two other ftf games, and don't have time to manage any more than that myself. If there was enough interest, I would be happy to work with other GMs on a shared campaign idea, but let's not get carried away quite yet. dw

Tempted, very tempted. My sci-fi itch has been acting up, and I've yet to really get to scratch it. Never played Galactic Champs before though, and I'm not as familiar with the genre specifics (though I was a big Lensman/EE 'Doc' Smith fan back in the day)...

I would like to throw in that Hermit is a heckuva player, speaking as one of his GMs on Hero Central, and E84's got a good handle on the format as well (in addition to being a darned impressive player to boot, based on what I've read)...

The crew over on Hero Central tend to be just as friendly and helpful as the bunch on these boards, so you'll probably be able to find as much help or advice as you can stand if you have a questions... ;D

A shared origin and power SFX only really constrains you if you care about having the biggest boomstick or you have DC envy. Someone could be the Big Stick but someone else could be the Finesse Expert, someone the Non-linear Thinker, someone the Tactician, someone the Diplomat and so on. Personality isn't defined by how many d6 you throw and your CV.

Sounds intriguing. Let us know when this gets off the ground so we can lurk and learn.

I'll keep an eye out. It looks really interesting. A shared origin/shared powers avoids one of the potential pitfalls of Galactic Champs, since you don't get the wildly varying power levels/defenses.

If you need someone who's an experienced PbP player and occasional FtF GM to bounce ideas off of (I'm not sure I have the time to take on a full Co-GM duties), I'll be happy to help.

Thanks everybody' date=' I think we're full up right now, but if further openings come up I'll check through this thread in order. dw[/quote']

Darn. Now I'll never get a chance to play my "Red Lantern" idea... :(

Good luck, Darren! If you need any advice, let me know.

Oh, and watch out for that Hermit guy. He's trouble. :mad:;)