Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

6 hours ago, Cancer said:

Yeah, I've had that, though it took your mention to remind me.  In 1966-68 we lived in eastern New Mexico, where milo (sorghum) is a major crop.

I've yet to try it.  I only remember it from an episode of Chopped -- one of the tournaments with Alton Brown judging.

We'll use the restaurant's term.  They DON'T call it pizza...just as a calzone is not a pizza, a stromboli is not a pizza.

Stupid cutesy food writer is calling it "pizza."  Pappy's calls it "Pappy wheels".  Partly, I suspect, because "Florida-style pizza" could not be trademarked.  Heck, the STORY notes they're called World Famous Pappy Wheels.

So, no, there is no new style, just attempted aggrandization.

I hadn't heard about St. Louis style...glad I've been warned.  Thin, unleavened crust?  The rise is where the flavor develops.  No yeast, I'm thinking you're getting thin-crust Domino's.

8 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I hadn't heard about St. Louis style...glad I've been warned.  Thin, unleavened crust?  The rise is where the flavor develops.  No yeast, I'm thinking you're getting thin-crust Domino's.

It's worse...so much worse.  It's like a tasteless cracker.

Cleveland has a style of pizza (allegedly).  Mind you, said style consists of putting *too much* sugar in the tomato sauce.

30 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

It's worse...so much worse.  It's like a tasteless cracker.

Cleveland has a style of pizza (allegedly).  Mind you, said style consists of putting *too much* sugar in the tomato sauce.

Too much sugar isn't a Cleveland-local issue.  It can be found anywhere...including several recognized, national brands.  

I watched Iron Chef this morning doing battle swallow's nest. It did not look or sound appetizing at all. Even the commentators didn't sound impressed by the ingredient itself, but they were very impressed by the expense. $24,000 worth of swallows nest was purchased for this one battle. All they could talk about was the price. 

1 hour ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

I watched Iron Chef this morning doing battle swallow's nest. It did not look or sound appetizing at all. Even the commentators didn't sound impressed by the ingredient itself, but they were very impressed by the expense. $24,000 worth of swallows nest was purchased for this one battle. All they could talk about was the price. 

There were only a few of those that went THAT far into the woods, altho quite a few had fairly pricy ones.  Shark fin was used 3 times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iron_Chef_episodes

What blew me away more often wasn't the main ingredient, but the frequent, profligate use of things like truffle and sea urchin roe which are SERIOUSLY expensive.  Not swallow's nest expensive, but crazy high.  IIRC, on a Christmas battle, the chef made a lobster broth out of some crazy number of lobsters...and only wanted the broth.  Then again, there were those flip sides, where the main ingredient was so incredibly common and banal...milk, yam.

I'd kinda forgotten *how many* episodes there were.  They were running out a new episode every week, all year long.  And I doubt they could batch together a bunch of episodes;  the setup for each Iron Chef would seem to be rather extensive, and I wouldn't be surprised that the production days were pretty long.

48 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

IIRC, on a Christmas battle, the chef made a lobster broth out of some crazy number of lobsters...and only wanted the broth. 

I remember that one! That was nuts. It's hard for me to get into a battle like that which is so wasteful. I remember another reality show (for interior design) I had to quit watching altogether because the money they spent for a very minor return was infuriating. 

I think that waste was one of the reasons why the chef in question lost that battle -- the judges wanted to taste the meat too!

I remember reading that Chef Chen Kenichi (who sadly passed away this March, which I was not aware of) loved using caviar because he'd only use a tiny bit for the dishes and then take the rest of the open container home!