Not "Secret", not "Public", just "Identity"

jwpacker

Re: Not "Secret", not "Public", just "Identity"

Dr Strange is another such example. He's not really known by the public, but those who do know of him, know who he is and what he does. However, even though his villains know who he is and where he lives, it doesn't especially cause him troubles beyond the expected.

Or, looking at it from another angle, those villains who can cause him trouble, could see through any secret identity anyway, and those who would be obstructed by such, would not be a problem for him anyway.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"No identity" is a three point perk.

Lucius Alexander

And an unidentified palindromedary

There's a difference between No Id and having an ID no one cares about. No ID means you don't exist in databases, no birth or police records.

Having an ID that no one cares about is different. You have a birth record, medical records can be found, credit score. Just, you know, it never comes up. No points paid - no bonus. No points given - no down side. Like 99% of the planet.

There's a char in CKC who has neither a Public nor Secret ID. Morningstar. It's described thusly:

Morningstar no longer has a human form; he’s trapped in his quasi-demonic shape forever. For this reason, he has no Social Limitation regarding his identity; it’s neither public nor concealable.

Step out of your character in the same game for a sec' date=' Fed... how on god's green earth do I introduce myself to people? I'm still trying to figure how I'll play that one. :)[/quote']

So' date=' if you're wearing a costume, you're Engram. If you're not, even if you have to use your powers, you're Armando. Explain things to the cops...they'll have a file on you, but that can't be helped. Just don't stick around giving interviews to the media.[/quote']

The last time I did one of those, Lucy just didn't tend to introduce herself. The rest of the team knew she was there, and I think the police liaison for the team was under the impression she was just staff or somebody's DNPC.

Looking at the comics, I also would suggest that many characters, while they may have Secret or Public ID in their solo titles, would lack either Disadvantage in their team titles--it just does not come up as often in team titles.

I agree with the general consensus that if you have neither Disadvantage, the associated social issues just do not occur (as often) for your character.

One other comic character who seems to lack either Disadvantage is Oracle (Barbara Gordon). She does not seem to lead the double life that is characteristic of a Secret ID, but criminals in general have no idea who she is, to the point where her exisetence is something of an underworld legend.

I don't know, while she didn't live a prominent alternate life like most secret ID types, she *did* have a number of enemies quite intent on tracking down her true identity, and more importantly, location.

Personal details about her are generally unknown, she puts considerable effort into keeping them that way, and the consequences of a security breach are considerable ( as they were the times when such happened ). I'd say it counts.

Yeah' date=' Logan was a perfect example to use for me. That I can wrap my brain around.[/quote']

Not getting the Disad for Secret or Public ID means (for me) that at the start of the game you are a blank slate. There are no activities linked to the hero or to the civilian. Now, if during an adventure you take center stage and profess to the media it was you who defeated Dr. ABC... you may just get to swing some points around. However, if you keep standard precautions (bikini mask = who is that mysterious stranger) no one will know who you are. If you have hunteds they will come after you as a hero and are not particular about anyone else. With a Public ID they pretty much know where to look or with a Secret ID, people are snooping around.

I normally ask players to pick a Secret or Public ID, but since you are mentalist.... (as Fed said) only the target knows it was you. Now if the popular press develops a new filter that allows them to see mental attacks and intentions you might be in trouble :sneaky:

I think is was said earlier, "You did not pay for the disad, the disad does not impact you." Will it stay that way though the course of an adventure or the campaign? Who knows.

It really means - it never comes up in the game. And if it does it better be the focus of the story and something should happen to either return to the status quo or it's just dropped again because - it should never come up in the game.

What this bloke said. I'd rep you but I must spread the love. Spread the love.

So what should happen to the PC who helps break up a major attempt by VIPER to take over Campaign City? Shouldn't he get 'Hunted by Viper' as a 0-point, 'earned in play' disad?

And what makes 'Secret ID' or 'Public ID' immune to that?

They only go after the PC when they go after the group.

Disad's are story telling cues, no strangleholds on the character.

It really does come down to the corollary of "If you did not pay points" - "if you don't get points it does not disadvantage you."

Now, if the Player and GM agree - they could gain a 0 Point Version in Play just like any other Disadvantage that is nominally gained during play. Or it replaces a another Disad the Character does have.

So what should happen to the PC who helps break up a major attempt by VIPER to take over Campaign City? Shouldn't he get 'Hunted by Viper' as a 0-point, 'earned in play' disad?

And what makes 'Secret ID' or 'Public ID' immune to that?

I only throw "Earned in Play" penalities at players for throwing their own rope over a branch, making the noose and hanging themselves with it. Simply getting a disad for being hero equates to getting the short end of the stick in my book. Now if it was a Dark game, thats a different story. Public/Secret ID has nothing to do with it. Some foes come back to haunt you (normally the ones you paid points for) while the other sulk off to lick their wounds.

Sometimes, I will give a disad through the course of play and turn around to spend it on something particular (prime example would be a base), but that would be it.

Now' date=' if the Player and GM agree - they could gain a 0 Point Version in Play just like any other Disadvantage that is nominally gained during play. Or it replaces a another Disad the Character does have.[/quote']

It's interesting how we're generally OK with the character losing points (picking up disad's) in play, but we'd never allow them to GAIN points (like contacts, favours or other perks) in play.

It would be nice to see this balanced out. Sure, you picked up Hunted-VIPER, but your public defeat of VIPER also picked you up a positive Reputation and some Favours from various people whose lives were saved or improved because you beat VIPER back.

It's interesting how we're generally OK with the character losing points (picking up disad's) in play, but we'd never allow them to GAIN points (like contacts, favours or other perks) in play.

It would be nice to see this balanced out. Sure, you picked up Hunted-VIPER, but your public defeat of VIPER also picked you up a positive Reputation and some Favours from various people whose lives were saved or improved because you beat VIPER back.

Actually, funny you mention that... the most common 'you got it during play' things we get in at least one of my gaming groups is Contacts and Money. Not to mention the random free Skill Level in a KS or such. For no cost.

Remember to separate Public ID from a Watched by the Media (or the like). Just because you have a Public ID, doesn't mean that the paparazzi is camping out on your doorstep.

I'd have to see a combination of positive/negative Reputation, Hunted (Watched), etc. for that level of scrutiny.

To not have either Secret or Public ID means to me that while your ID COULD be figured out with some basic detective work, no one is particularly interested enough unless you MAKE them. While you don't start out with any inherent disadvantages re: your ID, you can earn them through game play depending on how much you flout your privacy. If you basically work at it (not to the level that you would have to if you had a Secret ID), no one's going to get the scoop on ya, they don't think of it, they don't care, etc.

Now wait... My characters get bonuses to go with thier penalties. Thrwart Viper, and yes, Viper will want vengeance... but the mayor will owe you a favor, the CoPolice will 'loan' you a SWAT team for back up, your average citizen will look on you favorably, you can get a good table at that snooty downtown nightclub...

It's interesting how we're generally OK with the character losing points (picking up disad's) in play' date=' but we'd never allow them to GAIN points (like contacts, favours or other perks) in play. [/quote']

I treat Disadvantages as changing over time. Secret IDs can be switched to Public IDs, old Hunteds can be defeated and "traded in" for new Hunteds, etc. I have yet to actually tell someone that they have to buy off a Disadvantage without allowing them to replace it with a different one.

As far as gaining new Hunteds...if a character antagonizes a villain or villain group enough, they will temporarily gain them as a Hunted. This may go away as the Hunted calms down, or become permanent after the player trades them out for a Hunted on the character sheet that isn't coming up as often.

Lack of either identity-related Social Limitation usually means that you identity' date=' widely known or not, is a non-issue to most people.[/quote']

I agree with this totally at first.

But, not having an "identity" disad can come back to haunt the character later. Mostly in getting a suddenly "public identity". Hunteds will learn to come after you once they learn where you hang your spandex. The idea is that the character is a symbol some of the time (SID) or all of the time (PID)...you don't have to make the choice NOW, but you will have to make it!

Now, in the cases of Spiderman, Captain America, and even the Flash in their unmaskings (and to an extent Superman) people expect them to be more important so the big reveal is disappointing. That does not mean that secret identity means nothing, it just means a face without a background is well worthless.

The Hawk has spoken

I agree with this totally at first.

But, not having an "identity" disad can come back to haunt the character later. Mostly in getting a suddenly "public identity". Hunteds will learn to come after you once they learn where you hang your spandex. The idea is that the character is a symbol some of the time (SID) or all of the time (PID)...you don't have to make the choice NOW, but you will have to make it!

Now, in the cases of Spiderman, Captain America, and even the Flash in their unmaskings (and to an extent Superman) people expect them to be more important so the big reveal is disappointing. That does not mean that secret identity means nothing, it just means a face without a background is well worthless.

The Hawk has spoken

See - this is the biggest problem - no, really it doesn't have to be one or the other.

If you didn't get any points it doesn't Disadvantage you. You can make it a one off plot point, but it will NOT become a constant problem anymore than a Player can decide they have an Energy Blast they didn't pay for.

Not taking either is a Player cue to the GM that it's not an issue they want to focus on with their Character. I think it's poor form for the GM to crap on the player by giving them a Public ID because they didn't take any off-Normal ID from the start.

Single story - that's it. No more, no less, nothing else. The GM has to respect the player as much as the player has to respect the GM.

Hmmm... then all of this sort of begs the question:

What would it be worth if you had No Identity?

No one knows you... at all.

There's no record of your birth... or death.

You're not in any system... anywhere.

... and there's nothing you can do to make it otherwise.

:eg:

Hmmm... then all of this sort of begs the question:

What would it be worth if you had No Identity?

No one knows you... at all.

There's no record of your birth... or death.

You're not in any system... anywhere.

... and there's nothing you can do to make it otherwise.

:eg:

Sounds like the equivalent of a social lim or physical lim, depending on how you want to tone the disadvantage. It would depend a lot on how badly your character needs things like food and shelter, since one of the biggest hits would be to your character's ability to make a living and create things like bank accounts.

Framed as physical limitation, say "Instantly Forgettable" I would say it would be All The Time and Slightly impairing. So that would make it worth15 points, with other points possibly available for Poor (can't hold a job after all) and the Psych limitation: "Lonely and wishes he could form relationships".

Of course, if some other person or thing is actively preventing people and data bases from remembering the character then it would be a Hunted.