How would you stat up gods in Hero System?

Narf the Mouse

Re: How would you stat up gods in Hero System?

But isn't that just totems and shamanism? Elementals and animism?

Where do you think the idea of "gods" originated?

There's even a concept in magical traditions, that gods can be caused to perform deeds via the enactment of ritual, etc. It shows up in Indian beliefs -- and in western traditions as well, as Theurgy.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Palindromedary posted a quote. The quote makes no sense. I pointed this out. If the Palindromedary did not want such a non-sensical quote to be contested' date=' then the Palindromedary should have posted it in front of someone else. :P[/quote']

Well, it makes no sense to you.

So again, I'm asking you to clarrify why it makes no sense to you. By what reasoning or perceived facts do you reach the conclusion that it makes no sense?

Well, to boil it down to the bottom, once you strip away the poetic language, it's basically 'I wanna be a crybaby! I want my own way all the time, no matter what!'.

Which sounds utterly un-godlike.

Seriously? It sounds pretty much like every god I ever heard of.

'beyond morals or logic or esthetics'.

OK.

I think that what Zelazny was getting at is that gods that are supposed to be embodiments of certain ideas or forces are "beyond morals or logic or esthetics" in the same way the things they embody are beyond those morality, etc.

Fire burns ugly and beautiful, evil and good, alike, and it doesn't matter if any of it makes sense at all to you. Fire does what fire does. Fire burns. It does what it does.

Think about Death, Fire, Love, etc, etc, etc...

Well, to boil it down to the bottom, once you strip away the poetic language, it's basically 'I wanna be a crybaby! I want my own way all the time, no matter what!'.

Um, what gods are you using for your baseline?

Seriously? It sounds pretty much like every god I ever heard of.

What he said.

Actually, to me, that's as good a description of most of the pre-monotheistic gods as one could ask for.

cheers, Mark

Actually, to me, that's as good a description of most of the pre-monotheistic gods as one could ask for.

cheers, Mark

Really? Polytheistic Gods always seemed to me to be much more ready to co-operate, to make and keep bargains, and to "play nice with others." Granted, that's in relative terms, i.e. comparing them to monotheistic Deities....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests stopping here, as the sign ahead says "Now entering NGD." There's also a sign saying "Major impiety zone." But they're everywhere in this thread.

The Greek Gods, in particular, were given over to petty rivlaries, trickery and one could argue were simply Human Personalities taken to an extreme. Especially when they lose.

Sure, they might be more willing to cooperate, but they're also more likely to go Emo on your arse.

I don’t know why so many people are against writing up gods. I mean, Hercules (Heracles) was only a demi-god, one of the early examples of a hero. Some legends have him actually holding up the Earth in Atlas’ place for a short time. Atlas was a Titan and the titans came before the (and were arguably as powerful as) the gods. I seem to recall Hercules actually drawing blood (or whatever it is they have) from a god or titan at one point, but that may have been a more modern story, I’m not sure.

My point? Hercules was one of the first “Cinematic Heroes” around, and he went toe-to-toe with the gods several times, both mentally and physically.

Really? Polytheistic Gods always seemed to me to be much more ready to co-operate' date=' to make and keep bargains, and to "play nice with others." Granted, that's in relative terms, i.e. comparing them to monotheistic Deities....[/quote']

:eek: Really? From Loki's murdering Baldr, to Odin welching on his promise of blood-brothership to Loki, Frigg´s infidelity with Odin´s brothers, Idunn's affair with the man who killed her husband, Freyja's adultery and incest - and more - the Norse gods give us enough material for a whole season of Jerry Springer "Yes, Sleipnir, tonight we have your father on the show!"

The Egyptian Gods are not much better - Osiris and Set's hot gay affair is followed directly by Osiris' murder, and there's plenty more material in that vein. And let's not even get started on the Olympians with their endless rounds of infidelity, incest, and revenge.

Historically, polytheistic deities were much more ready to cut deals. Unlike the montheistic gods, they had peers to cut deals with. And like the humans who created with them, they were perfectly willing to break those deals, when they felt they had to or could get away with it.

Playing nice does not seem to have been on their curricula.

cheers, Mark