The Greatest American Hero

Patriot

Re: The Greatest American Hero

Remember it? I have the entire series on DVD.

No I haven't made him as a character, although the original premise (how hard it is to be a superhero, the problems of finding somewhere to change, the excuses you need to make to your loved ones (or at least your 'in the know' girlfriends parents), holding down a teaching job (not recommended for a superhero!), what being a hero means in the real world, etc.) would make a good, if very short, campaign premise (who wants to look at that side of heroing really?)

The final two seasons kind of lost the original plot and became typical superheroics (not that there is anything wrong with that but it wasn't the original idea). I think they lost me the first time he made a perfect landing.

Remember it? I have the entire series on DVD.

No I haven't made him as a character, although the original premise (how hard it is to be a superhero, the problems of finding somewhere to change, the excuses you need to make to your loved ones (or at least your 'in the know' girlfriends parents), holding down a teaching job (not recommended for a superhero!), what being a hero means in the real world, etc.) would make a good, if very short, campaign premise (who wants to look at that side of heroing really?)

The final two seasons kind of lost the original plot and became typical superheroics (not that there is anything wrong with that but it wasn't the original idea). I think they lost me the first time he made a perfect landing.

I kind of like that he improved his use of the suit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_American_Hero

Ralph Hinkley, The Greatest American Hero

http://www.comicvine.com/ralph-hinkley/29-42184/

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=Greatest+American+Hero&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=dg0VSrOyDoKUswOtgoiNCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title

More Later

QM

Ralph would certainly have two DNPCs---His girlfriend lawyer and his son (?). Probably a lot of low activation rolls on his powers. Secret ID. Maybe even a DNPC for his class of students. They were always getting in trouble.

Flight, Clairsentience, high STR, the suit would probably act like an armor of some kind, because he always covered his head when they would shoot at him. Invisibility.

It would be some kind of Multipower (The Suit)

Now Agent Maxwell, there would be a great character to build. He of th scenarios...

Ralph would certainly have two DNPCs---His girlfriend lawyer and his son (?). Probably a lot of low activation rolls on his powers. Secret ID. Maybe even a DNPC for his class of students. They were always getting in trouble.

Flight, Clairsentience, high STR, the suit would probably act like an armor of some kind, because he always covered his head when they would shoot at him. Invisibility.

It would be some kind of Multipower (The Suit)

Now Agent Maxwell, there would be a great character to build. He of th scenarios...

limitation does not know how to activate suits technology properly

He's actually part of my Campaign background, and will be a PC if I ever run that TV Heroes convention game. :)

I'd say his suit provides (at the basic level) 18/18 Armor 15-, +20 STR, and 50/50 Damage Reduction 15-. We never see him seriously hurt or knocked out, but he has to protect his head. He also has a Multipower with many slots, including extra STR, Danger Sense (any area, any danger), Clairvoyance, Flight, Invisibility, and probably Enter the Speed Zone or at least an AOE Selective for his STR. Unfortunately, all of these Require a Skill Roll, and the Flight in particular has Side Effect Environmental Damage (he crashes into things) and Side Effect (Flyer looks like an idiot).

Other team members would include Puma Man, Wonder Woman, the Six Million Dollar Man, Manimal, The Invisible Man, the Man from Atlantis, Shazam, and Isis. Maybe throw in Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, the Green Hornet and Kato, and the Adam West & Burt Ward Batman and Robin.

He's actually part of my Campaign background, and will be a PC if I ever run that TV Heroes convention game. :)

I'd say his suit provides (at the basic level) 18/18 Armor 15-, +20 STR, and 50/50 Damage Reduction 15-. We never see him seriously hurt or knocked out, but he has to protect his head. He also has a Multipower with many slots, including extra STR, Danger Sense (any area, any danger), Clairvoyance, Flight, Invisibility, and probably Enter the Speed Zone or at least an AOE Selective for his STR. Unfortunately, all of these Require a Skill Roll, and the Flight in particular has Side Effect Environmental Damage (he crashes into things) and Side Effect (Flyer looks like an idiot).

Other team members would include Puma Man, Wonder Woman, the Six Million Dollar Man, Manimal, The Invisible Man, the Man from Atlantis, Shazam, and Isis. Maybe throw in Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, the Green Hornet and Kato, and the Adam West & Burt Ward Batman and Robin.

What, no Johnny B Good or any of the other Misfits of Science? What about Kwai Chang Caine? Jamie Summers? The Master (Lee Van Cleef as a white Ninja master-haha)? Clark Kent (Smallville version)? The Flash?

What' date=' no Johnny B Good or any of the other Misfits of Science? What about Kwai Chang Caine? Jamie Summers? The Master (Lee Van Cleef as a white Ninja master-haha)? Clark Kent (Smallville version)? The Flash?[/quote']

Misfits of Science yes, Jamie Summers, The Flash or The Master sure. Bill Bixby's Incredible Hulk would fit as well. Maybe Automan. :)

Clark Kent are too far out of period with the rest; most of the others are late 1960s to mid 80s TV characters. The Flash is a bit of an outlier in the 90s as well.

The suit's powers also include telekinesis, pyrokinesis, and shrinking. Although the last one required a very difficult activation (IIRC, he had to read something out of the manual, then lost the manual because it shrunk with him and he left it sitting on a grain of sand). The TK was low-level, I believe, and I have a vague recollection of him accidentally setting afire or blowing up agent Maxwell's car.

Somewhere in my old gaming stuff I have a Champions 3rd edition version of the character, though to be honest the pic I did was probably the best part of it.

Also, IIRC his best flying was done when he had amnesia.

or retirerd nasval inteligence officer johnathan raven? btw oddhat didn't you mean CAPTIAN MARVEL and isis?

If asked in game, the character will explain that he has to call himself "Shazam" on all promotional materials to avoid copyright issues. ;)

Misfits of Science yes, Jamie Summers, The Flash or The Master sure. Bill Bixby's Incredible Hulk would fit as well. Maybe Automan. :)

I am so glad someone else remembers Automan. I was starting to think I hallucinated that show. :)

As a short cut how about giving Ralph's suit a large VPP with some very stringent limits to cover his constant development of one shot or plot convenience powers? His strength, flight and the other powers he constantly and consistently uses would be outside the pool

Clark Kent are too far out of period with the rest; most of the others are late 1960s to mid 80s TV characters. The Flash is a bit of an outlier in the 90s as well.

What about Street Hawk. 1985ish. Costume, trick motorcycle?