Most Clever Hero System Builds

pruttm

I'd like to read some character builds that you folks think are clever, interesting, innovative, etc.

They can be posted in this forum, in another thread or in a Hero System book. I don't care about genre or power level or anything. I trust you. I just want to spend my time reading some interesting builds.

Thanks,

Pete

Re: Most Clever Hero System Builds

The Engineer from Villainy Amok

I liked this character from the first time I saw the sheet. She has a great picture, a tragic origin and it is tied well into the CU to make PCs have some level of attachment to her right away. As for the build, this was a very solid attempt to handle the difficult task of doing Machine Control. As many have said on the board, this is handled many different ways because there isn't a clear and obvious way to build it. She has a solid set of powers that cover the abilities of this type of character well. I especially like the small touch of the mental defense being due to her human/machine mind. I also like the invisibility to machines power. Very useful.

Well, due to what laughingly passes for my sense of modesty I wont self-proclaim cleverness but there are a lot of characters up on my site here:

http://www.killershrike.com/CharacterMaster/CharacterGenreList.aspx?r=0

Enjoy!

Yeah, well if Killer Shrike is too modest to self-promote, I'll add my two cents - he is Hero Clever! :thumbup:

For myself, a bit of history; I'd first encountered Champions (back when it was just Champions) in high school, enjoyed the game, even ran a Fantasy Hero campaign...

...BUT....

4th edition Ninja Hero, page 47: "Another way to do a "punch-several-guys-at-the-same-time" power is to buy Hand-to-Hand Attack or Hand-to-Hand Killing Attack with the advantages Area Effect Radius (+1) and Selective (+1/4)"

:jawdrop:

It opened my eyes to "reasoning from effect" and the richness of the Hero System.

I like several of the Inner Circle of DEMON. They have a schick that works and is effective without being ungodly. Luthor Black is also a good character but would be murder to play as a DM.

Hyperman's JLA Builds are fantastic. Thoughtful and sufficient without going to completest extreme.

The Highlander write ups are also pretty spot on and include the Quickening. I am trying to remember who wrote them cause the thread is amazing. It has been 3-4 years though.

I always liked my write up of Jack Bauer.

I also liked the builds of Achilles and Hercules that I did.

Most of the ones I like aren't really clever - just useful and representative.

This time it's personal is pure inspiration. :thumbup:

Thanks. I forgot to mention some of Shadowsoul's write ups but I can never find them. I just save them to the hard drive.

Maybe he'll come along and post a few links.

Crossposted

One of my favorites, at only 46 Active Points.

Imaginative Reconstruction AKA "CSI Flashbacks" AKA "Superslueth"

Note: This is Retrocognition (psychic power or just the workings of a brilliant subconscious mind?) that allows the character to perceive the events that led to the evidence he is looking at or has looked at recently; crime scene, body, weapon or tool that was used, etc. It may hit him while actively thinking about it, in meditation, or even while doing something else. Make the Meditation roll at -2 and then roll <= 14 each phase to continue, up to 3 phases.

Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Rapid (x100): +2 (46 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Retrocognition Only (Sees up to 5 minutes of "replay" in 1 phase; -1), 3 Recoverable Charges (To recover charges, must examine evidence or actively pursue a case, and must make a skill roll on any "detective" type skill; -3/4), Blackout (Ceases to pay attention to environment; -1/2), Vague and Unclear (Won't solve the crime for him; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Must see the evidence (during or before trance) Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points Meditation ; -1/4), Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4)

Real Cost 6

Lucius Alexander

"Nobody builds walls ten feet thick!" exclaims the palindromedary, flashing back to a Judge Dee movie.

Can't remember where I first saw it' date=' buy pne that I've always admired is the Green Lantern power ring "travel bubble" bought as a Vehicle in the ring's MP/VPP. Makes it [i']so[/i] much easier to handle.

I think you're referring to my GL clone Golden Gauntlet* and his Travel Bubble.

* See the last Multpower slot.

I still want to make the guy who has 50 points in 250 point supers for followers. I think that's a pretty good buy. You could get like ten clones of the 4th Edition Champions to follow you around and guard your stuff with 50 pts. =)

Of course, you can get your own unit of 256 supers for just 60 pts. If you wanted to go to the active point cap for a power.

Let's see.. add in a Multiform into... all of the 4th Edition Champions.

Hmm...

I don't remember what character I saw that gave me the idea, but yeah AoE advantages on HTH attacks were one of my first really awesome builds. Or Autofire on HTH attacks.

My old Star Wars-esque HERO Campaign (4th Ed.) put all the ship systems in a multipower so you could have those "transferring power from shields to weapons" type deal. At the time, I was awfully proud of myself for coming up with it, but doubt I was doing much that others hadn't already figured out.

Unfortunately, sometimes "clever" = "broken" - had several players who figured out insane ways to break the system, that were nonetheless really clever. :D