New to Champions.

Tal_Akaan

Hello to all,

I am new to Champions and the hero system all together. in fact i just started reading the book a few days ago, but am making my way through it. there are just a few things i would like to get some opinions on before i invest more time in it.

it seems like character creation is really in depth and time consuming...

...am i right in this assumption?

It also seems like combat might take a long time to get through.

it seems that because of how customizable the system is character power levels can be drastically different even when given the same amount of "free" points from the GM.

and finally i get the feeling that because the game is free form as far as power level is concerned that the GM has to create all of the enemies that will appear in the game.

thank you in advance for clearing up my assumptions.

Tal Akaan

Re: New to Champions.

Hello to all,

I am new to Champions and the hero system all together. in fact i just started reading the book a few days ago, but am making my way through it. there are just a few things i would like to get some opinions on before i invest more time in it.

First off, welcome to the boards and Hero Tal :) Character creation can be a bit time consuming in the beginning, but after some time with the game, it becomes much easier and quicker :)

I've never found it that much longer than many other systems. But again, it'll speed up as you gain experience with the game.

it seems that because of how customizable the system is character power levels can be drastically different even when given the same amount of "free" points from the GM.

Well, in past editions, I could see why you'd say that. However, speaking as as a GM, I think there are things a gamemaster can do to make it more of a level playing field. For example, require a certain amount of points being spent on specific things (like 20 pts in skills, 100 pts in powers, etc.). Also, keep in mind that we're on the precipice of a new version of the game ... so some of that may also be changed with the new edition :)

and finally i get the feeling that because the game is free form as far as power level is concerned that the GM has to create all of the enemies that will appear in the game.

Not necessarily. There are several Enemies books available for the different genres, and several others being worked on for 6th ed. And while some, like myself, prefer to make our own opponents for our groups, there are plenty of sourcebooks, websites and resources on the boards that allow you to draw from for enemies.

Tal Akaan

You're welcome ... hope this helps. And again, welcome to the boards, hope you enjoy yourself :)

Welcome to the boards.

I'm assuming that when you say you just bought the book that you meant the Hero System Rulebook 5th Edition Revised. There are genre specific books for multiple genres as well as subsets of the superhero one (Champions, Teen Champions, Galactic Champions). Plus most published material can be adapted to different power levels as well.

Welcome to here, hope you like what you find here.

My advice to anyone new to the system is this: Find a website that has a set of famous fictional characters written up and download a set of them. Let them fight another set of famous fictional characters of roughly the same level. (or even a set of evil clones)

It's the best way to find your way around an entirely new game system - with familiar characters that have well defined strengths and weaknesses. When handed a sheet full of numbers and terms they don't recognize or understand, it's always nice to know what you should be looking to do. Colossus should be punching things and Cyclops shouldn't.

It's how they taught the game to newcomers back in the day. It's still a good way to learn the game system.

Hello to all,

Tal Akaan

First off Welcome. Beware we are a VERY opinionated bunch :D Our bark is far worse than our bite :D

1)Character creation can be quite short or very long. The secret to creating a champions character is to set the book down and write out in plain english what you want your character to do. It's also a good place to figure out if they have friends that help, people like "Aunt May" who can be hinderances, if there are organizations that are after the character. etc.

Then you can set down to figuring out what powers in the game book emulate what you have written down on your explaination page.

Also I HIGHLY recommend that you purchase a copy of "Hero Designer" it's a Java applicaiton available in the online store that makes character creation VERY easy.

2) Like many roleplaying systems that have many options to weigh in Combat, it CAN take a while to get though a combat. If everyone know what they are going to do before their Phase comes up, then combat will go pretty quickly

3) If you follow the guidelines on page 28 things SHOULD be fairly balanced. It is possible to munchkin a character to make it far more powerful than their points look. It's a matter of keeping Defenses, Attacks, CV and Speed within the campaign limits and not having characters that are at the caps of all of these. A balanced character will generally be at cap for one of the above, average (middle of he road) in 2 and below average in one.

4)Yes, you do have to create everything strictly speaking. Though there are many resources on the web that have characters and Villains written up. Also there are many "enemies" books available for purchase in the online store. BTW when you are making your own NPCs you don't necessarily need to balance their points like players have to on their Characters.

Enjoy the system,

Tasha :D

Welcome as many said character creation gets faster with time. Here is a sample 350 point hero to give you some ideas of what you can do.

Tornado

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [1]

23 DEX 39 14- OCV: 8/DCV: 8

15 CON 10 12-

14 BODY 8 12-

15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

14 COM 2 12-

3/23 PD 0 Total: 3/23 PD (0/20 rPD)

3/23 ED 0 Total: 3/23 ED (0/20 rED)

5 SPD 17 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

12 REC 12

44 END 7

50 STUN 20 Total Characteristic Cost: 135

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Flight: 15"/120"

Leaping: 3"/6"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

60 Tornado Zone: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots Conditional Power Power Does Not Work In Water (-1/4)

6u 1) Tornado Blast: EB 15d6 (75 Active Points); Conditional Power Power Does Not Work In Water (-1/4) 7

6u 2) Concentrated Tornado Blast: EB 8 1/2d6, Double Knockback (+3/4) (75 Active Points); Conditional Power Power Does Not Work In Water (-1/4) 7

6u 3) Having Trouble Breathing?: EB 7d6, NND (Self Contained Breathing; +1) (70 Active Points); Conditional Power Power Does Not Work In Water (-1/4) 7

6u 4) Mini Tornado: EB 10d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Conditional Power Power Does Not Work In Water (-1/4) 7

6u 5) Lifting Tornado: Telekinesis (50 STR) (75 Active Points); Conditional Power Power Does Not Work In Water (-1/4) 7

6u 6) Going For A Spin: Drain DEX 5d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Conditional Power Power Does Not Work In Water (-1/4)

6u 7) Wind Wall: FW (10 PD/10 ED; 5" long and 2" tall), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points); Conditional Power Power Does Not Work In Water (-1/4) 3

24 Wind Control: Elemental Control, 60-point powers, (30 Active Points); all slots Conditional Power Power Does Not Work In Water (-1/4)

24 1) Wind Shield: FF (20 PD/20 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Conditional Power Power Does Not Work In Water (-1/4)

24 2) Ride the Wind: Flight 15", x8 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Conditional Power Power Does Not Work In Water (-1/4)

8 Wind Shield II: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel) (15 Active Points); Linked (Wind Shield; Lesser Instant Power can be used in any Phase in which greater Constant Power is in use; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -1/2), Conditional Power Power Does Not Work In Water (-1/4)

Perks

10 Contact: Gary Folsworth, Reporter for the Chicago Tribune (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact) 14-

2 Fringe Benefit: Local Police Powers

Skills

5 +1 with DCV

6 +2 with Tornado Zone MP

3 Electronics 12-

Everyman Skills (Cost: 0 Points)

0 1) Native: Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

0 2) AK: Chicago 11-

0 3) Acting 8-

0 4) Climbing 8-

0 5) Computer Programming 8-

0 6) Concealment 8-

0 7) Conversation 8-

0 8) Deduction 8-

0 9) PS: Construction Worker 11-

0 10) Paramedics 8-

0 11) Persuasion 8-

0 12) Shadowing 8-

0 13) Stealth 8-

0 14) TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

2 KS: Carpentry 11-

2 KS: Plumbing 11-

3 Mechanics 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 215

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

20 DNPC: Jack & Harriet Carson (Parents) 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

15 Hunted: Chicago P.D. 14- (Mo Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, Watching)

20 Hunted: Viper 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Physical Limitation: Weird Bio Chemistry Requires Specialt Medical Attention (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Vs Killing (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Shameless Flirt (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Swashbuckler Attitude (Common, Strong)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Chad Carson) (Frequently, Major)

10 Social Limitation: Smoker (Frequently, Minor)

5 Unluck: 1d6

Total Disadvantage Points: 150

Background/History: Chad Carson sat on the top of the skeleton of the new hi-rise to join the Chicago sky line. His lunch box sat open next to him and he munched on a cold slice of pizza. His mind drifted back as he ate as to how much this build has changed his life. Two months ago Chad had been working on, what was at that time, the highest floor of the superstucture when a freak storm occured, he watched in horror as a tornado headed his way and he was unable to do anything but pray. The tornado had picked up a chemical truck that had been transpoting a newly created radioactive isotope.The truck slammed into the steel girders of the building, shattering the containment and bathing both the superstructure and Chad with the isotope. Chad's body began to glow as the isotope was absorbed into his skin it also seemed to absorb the very wind itself. Chad slowly rose into the air and as he opened his eyes he discovered that the tornado was gone and he was flying. Over the next few weeks he learned to use and control his power. Dubbing himself Tornado he soon beacme one of the more popular supers in the Windy city.

Quote: "Bad news Pal, you jist stirred up an ill wind."

Powers/Tactics: Tornado possess the ability to create tornadoes to use in various ways, He can also manipulsate the air around him that it both protects him and allows him to fly.

Appearance: Chad Carson is in his mid 20's and is excellent physical shape. He has blond hair and blue eyes. As Tornado he wears a blue and white costume.

and here is another.

Pinky

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

12 STR 2 11- Lift 132.0kg; 2d6 [1]

26 DEX 48 14- OCV: 9/DCV: 9

14 CON 8 12-

11 BODY 2 11-

20 INT 10 13- PER Roll 13-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

16 COM 3 12-

3/23 PD 1 Total: 3/23 PD (0/20 rPD)

3/23 ED 0 Total: 3/23 ED (0/20 rED)

4 SPD 4 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

8 REC 6

40 END 6

40 STUN 16 Total Characteristic Cost: 111

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Flight: 20"/40"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

60 Pink Light: Multipower, 60-point reserve

6u 1) Pink Bolt: EB 12d6 (60 Active Points) 6

6u 2) Pink Blast: EB 6d6, Area Of Effect (7" Cone; +1) (60 Active Points) 6

6u 3) Pink Bomb: EB 8d6, Explosion (+1/2) (60 Active Points) 6

6u 4) Pink Bonds: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF, Backlash (+1/2) (60 Active Points) 6

6u 5) Pink Flash: Sight Group Flash 8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points)

6u 6) Pink Laser: RKA 2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points)

30 Pink Bubble: Elemental Control, 60-point powers

30 1) Pink Bubble Flight: Flight 20", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points)

30 2) Pink Bubble Shield: FF (20 PD/20 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points)

10 Pink Light Eyes: Sight Group Flash Defense (10 points)

6 Light Bubbles: Sight Group Images 1" radius, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Linked (Pink Bubble Shield; -1/2)

Perks

Sanction Package Deal

3 1) Fringe Benefit: Federal/National Police Powers

6 2) Contact (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact) 11-

Skills

3 +1 with Pink Light Mulitpower

Everyman Skills (Cost: 0 Points)

0 1) Native: Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

0 2) AK: Millenium City 11-

0 3) Acting 8-

0 4) Climbing 8-

0 5) Computer Programming 8-

0 6) Concealment 8-

0 7) Conversation 8-

0 8) Deduction 8-

0 9) PS: Student 11-

0 10) Paramedics 8-

0 11) Persuasion 8-

0 12) Shadowing 8-

0 13) Stealth 8-

0 14) TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

3 Forensic Medicine 13-

4 Language: French (completely fluent; literate)

3 Language: Latin (fluent conversation; literate)

Sanction Package Deal

2 1) KS: Federal Criminal Law 11-

2 2) KS: Federal Criminal Procedure 11-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Anatomy 13- (3 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Biology 13- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Chemistry 13- (3 Active Points)

2 4) SS: Physiology 13- (3 Active Points)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 239

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

5 Distinctive Features: Pink Eyes (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Hunted: Ankylosaur 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Photon 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Physical Limitation: Wierd Bio-Chemistry Requires Special Medical Attention (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Vs Killing (Common, Total)

20 Psychological Limitation: Won't Allow Bystanders to Come to Harm (Common, Total)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Jenny Jordan) (Frequently, Major)

20 Susceptibility: Entangled by Darnkness Powers, 2d6 damage per Phase (Uncommon)

5 Unluck: 1d6

10 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Darkness Powers (Uncommon)

10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Darkness Powers (Uncommon)

Total Disadvantage Points: 150

Background/History: Jenny was once your average college student. She was immensly popular and was always seen at all of the big parties. But she was also devoted to her studies and no matter how late she partied the night before she was always on time for every class and always got good grades. But most of that has changed now. She is hardly ever seen at the parties any more & she is occasionally late for class. It all changed the day she got her powers and then began fighting crime as Pinky. She had been studying late one night and she found an experiment in her chemistry book she found intriguing. Early the next morning she rushed to the chem lab and began the experiment. She did not know however that another student had mislabeled some of the chemicals and when she mixed them they exploded. Jenny was covered with chemicals and flew back into a display case that contained several meteroites that the lab was performing tests on. The chemicals coating her reacted with one of the meteorites, and caused it to turn bright pink and then it began to glow. Jenny's body absorbed the pink light emenating from the meteorite and as it's glow got dimmer she began to glow brighter and brighter. When help arrived Jenny had stopped glowing and the meteroite had faded back to its normal grey tone. Soon after Jenny discovered her powers and since then, she has used her powers to fight crime. Not long after she gained her powers, she managed to defeat the well known super villain Ankylosar and also aided UNTIL in the capture of Photon. Since then she has become a federally sanctioned super heroine.

Personality/Motivation: Pinky is a very outgoing person who enjoys helping people.

Powers/Tactics: Pinky possesses light base powers that she can use in various ways.

Appearance: Jenny is an attractive woman in her early 20's. She has long blonde hair and is in excellent physical shape. As Pinky she wears a pink & white costume and wears her hair in pigtails.

Here's the quickest way I know to reduce the Character Creation time, because it can be in depth and take a while. Especially to a new player whose just been buried in a bunch of raw materials and told to build a skyscraper without a floor plan.

1) Follow Tasha's advice: write out what your character can do in plain English (or your primary language of choice). This is probably the most important step - be sure to not let mechanics enter the scene here. For Example: Can shoot laser beams from his eyes.

2) Take that and break it down to some very basic What Does It Do sentences: Hurts Things, Changes Things, Moves Me Around, etc.

3) Now you're going to reason from effect: Take the laser beams - essentially they Hurt Things.

Looking down the list of Powers we have Energy Blast, and Killing Attack-Ranged.

Good start.

10D6 Energy Blast or 3D6 Ranged Killing Attack are some possible solutions.

That was an obviously easy example, but a good illustration of taking "what I want to do" and making it "Mechanics the Rules use"

Learning combat takes a while - but like any system once you get the hang of it the time will be reduced. I've found it takes no longer than any other system - actually I've found it takes a lot less time than many systems because what you can do is written write out on your Character Sheet and you'll rarely have to consult the rules.

The biggest rule of Point Based Systems - a character can become drastically more powerful in one area than others by spending a lot of points there - but it ultimately means they're less powerful/useful in another area. It's almost self balancing that way, but you'll still have to keep an eye on things as your play style will inevitably dictate what parts need more guidance to balance than others.

Welcome aboard.

Don't worry, The HERO system is not as scary as it might look to a newbie. And there are plenty of people here who can help you understand it.

As has already been said, the real key is that, when building a Character, you should work out beforehand what kind of stuff you want them to do, and THEN start fiddling with the actual system.

As something that might help you better understand things, there are a number of threads where people have used the HERO system to "build" a variety of characters and items from books, TV and the movies.

Combat can be intimidating for a newer player. What I would suggest is to practice.

For example, in the book, there are 3 examples of good guys (Taurus, Eagle-eye, and Hardpoint) Pick one and have them go against Maelstrom from the book.

Don't worry about the optional rules.

Maps, diagrams, or other things may be useful, but not absolutely needed.

Ask yourself "What is Maelstrom doing when Taurus (example) sees him? Is he robbing a bank? Is he just flying by?

Look at Taurus, he is fearlessly heroic. So he'd probably go toe to toe with him. Hardpoint is a Macho daredevil, he may want to challenge him. And Eagle-eye is more cautious, so he'd probably want to follow him and see what he is up to.

Then make up a character (if you haven't already) and ask yourself what they would do.

Don't beat yourself up if the first 10 times you have to look at your character or the book to see how they get from point A to point B

if you take one example character and see "OK, how does he hit Maelstrom?" Start with only the very very basics and then build from there.

The very basics are:

How do I get from point A to point B

What do you need to hit

How do you damage

Can they take the damage.

Things like knockback and even endurance can be added later.

I hope this helps.

You obviously have a lot of people offering you advice so I'll let them take care of that part. However I would be remiss if I didn't say "Welcome to the boards!". This is a great bunch of people and I've actually met people here I happily call friends so you'll be in good company!

Well thank you all for the help. much more kind words than i usually get at the wizards forums. my friends and i usually play D&D or Star Wars SAGA, and are looking for a good super hero game. this one looks pretty rules heavy, but i really think it worth a shot. now i just have to convince my friends to read through the book and learn the system as i am so i'm not the only one who knows what going on.

Thanks again,

Tal_Akaan

Well thank you all for the help. much more kind words than i usually get at the wizards forums. my friends and i usually play D&D or Star Wars SAGA, and are looking for a good super hero game. this one looks pretty rules heavy, but i really think it worth a shot. now i just have to convince my friends to read through the book and learn the system as i am so i'm not the only one who knows what going on.

Thanks again,

Tal_Akaan

for your first game I would recommend playing the NPC Heroes from the Back of the Champions Sourcebook or creating some Generic Heroes for the Players to "get their Feet wet"

For the first adventure do the old bank Robbery scenario and have the Heroes happen to be there to stop the Villains.

Doing it this way will allow them to experience combat without making that investment in character creation time.

IMHO this is the best system outthere for playing Superheroes. Most of the other systems out there are highly influenced by Hero.

Good luck!

Tasha

Thanks again,

Tal_Akaan

We love to help people.

And hopefully you get to play and if so you'll likely come back here for questions - to which I can only give the following advice:

When you ask how to do something in Hero you will get a whole bunch of different answers - some of which might even contradict each other.

They will ALL be correct answers, the trick is choosing the one that works best for you and your group.

When you ask how to do something in Hero you will get a whole bunch of different answers - some of which might even contradict each other.

They will ALL be correct answers, the trick is choosing the one that works best for you and your group.

Sound advice for a lot more than just the HERO system.

One thing to note about characters being at different power levels than each-other is that the number of points is only half the story. In fact, points often correspond more to flexibility and rounding out more than raw power. To keep people on the same playing field, check that certain things are fairly even across the board: Active Points in their primary attack, Defenses, SPD, and CVs. These don't have to be exactly the same for everyone (and probably shouldn't be), but if someone has attacks/defenses that are a lot higher or lower than the rest of the group, it may cause some issues.

Something that you might want to cap, more so than the rest, is SPD. In my experience, characters will tend to creep toward the maximum SPD, so by setting a limit of 5 or so, people don't have to spend a ton of points in that area to stay competitive, and you can use premade foes without rebuilding them.

As to combat, I've found that making a SPD chart (which you can do before the game starts if you know the PCs' DEX and SPD) speeds things up a lot. As does taking average for large numbers of dice. An easy rule of thumb is that 10 dice averages 35, so for 14 dice you could roll 4d6+35. You also might want to ignore Knockback for small attacks (anything less than 7 dice), as they're unlikely to cause any.

Just remember if a rule doesn't work for you, you don't have to use it.

I've played in games that didn't track Endurance and games that do track it. It's all in "use what you like" attitude.

Anyways, welcome aboard.

This is something that i had noticed on my own. there seem to be A Lot of little trivial rules in the system, but it doesn't seem like it would throw off balance to just throw them out the window.

i'll tell you though the more i read the more i like. i just read the rules about breaking limbs...

...Awesome!!!

just knowing that there are rule to govern it is great.

being that the last character i played in a superhero game was a brick whose fighting style was pankration wrestling "greco roman wrestling" i love the idea that i could break some arms.

This is something that i had noticed on my own. there seem to be A Lot of little trivial rules in the system, but it doesn't seem like it would throw off balance to just throw them out the window.

i'll tell you though the more i read the more i like. i just read the rules about breaking limbs...

...Awesome!!!

just knowing that there are rule to govern it is great.

being that the last character i played in a superhero game was a brick whose fighting style was pankration wrestling "greco roman wrestling" i love the idea that i could break some arms.

Welcome to Hero! Deliberately breaking limbs would be unusual in most Golden Age or Silver Age (often called Four Color) Champions campaigns; less so in Bronze Age or Iron Age games. It all depends on what feel you want for your game.

Just be aware that rules like breaking limbs and wounding are entirely optional in Hero and won't be used in all campaigns. They can also significantly slow down combat; especially if several optional rules are used.

Ok so i think this thread is just going to become the place where i post my thoughts on the rules and how my first game goes...

...so this way everyone can remeber what it was like to be a new player.

But anyway.

just got through the recovery section, i like how it works. Not to sure how i feel about if you spend your action to recover and take damage you don't gain any benefit from the recovery. it does add some realism to it, i just don't really like the fact that you can spend an action to heal yourself and possibly get no benefit.

also read the END stuff, i really like the idea that your character actually gets "tired". and the pushing it stuff. i love that there is a mechanic in the game to allow you to exceed your normal limits.

Ok so i think this thread is just going to become the place where i post my thoughts on the rules and how my first game goes...

...so this way everyone can remeber what it was like to be a new player.

But anyway.

just got through the recovery section, i like how it works. Not to sure how i feel about if you spend your action to recover and take damage you don't gain any benefit from the recovery. it does add some realism to it, i just don't really like the fact that you can spend an action to heal yourself and possibly get no benefit.

also read the END stuff, i really like the idea that your character actually gets "tired". and the pushing it stuff. i love that there is a mechanic in the game to allow you to exceed your normal limits.

Dont forget that you get a free recovery after Segment 12 in each turn. I think you will see that most folk won't take recoveries during combat, unless they are darned sure that they are outside of combat.

Wish me luck, my group and i are making characters tonight.

Speaking of which.

We are going to play an X-Men type game, anybody know where i could find a sentinel build?

We will be starting with 200 cp's with a max of 150 cp's from disadvantages.