Lifetime Subscription

Steve

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Lifetime Subscription

I am a horribly addicted MMO player. Play tons... beta tons... but thats a steep investment for a blind buy. I have a free account for life on another game, and it isn't even installed anymore. Sure, it kept me happy for a few years, and they still "technically" support it. But there are still soem things that make me fear this game will not hold my interest like many others have.

As a PC gamer, the whole "co developed for PC and Xbox" thing just worries me.

As a PC gamer' date=' the whole "co developed for PC and Xbox" thing just worries me.[/quote']

The Xbox is no longer mentioned in the FAQ linked from their main page. The FAQ entry only mentions the PC as a platform.

http://www.champions-online.com/faq#13

I also seem to remember that the Xbox was officially dropped from their target platforms some months ago, although I can't remember where I heard that. So take this with a small grain of salt.

Broadly speaking, lifetime subscriptions have a flaw: companies allocate resources based on expected future earnings, not on past earnings. Buying a lifetime subscription helps short term finances (reducing the chance that the game will simply disappear) but does not create any future earnings (except to the degree it may cause subscribers to buy expansion packs, which is not negligible) and thus doesn't give the game as strong an incentive to improve.

Regarding MMO cost.... if you would pay $10 to go to see a movie that lasts around 2 hours the question is - will you enjoy playing the game for around 4 hours every month. If so then you are getting a reasonable amount of entertainment per dollar at $15. So even if your interest wains as long you like it well enough to drop in once a month for a couple of hours to punt some bad guys the lifetime subscription probably makes sense.

It beats the heck out of thinking you canceled your WoW subscription only to find out they just got another 6 month fee which you didn't use.

I'm going to go for the lifetime my self. I'll probably end up playing it at least 5 hours a week and I'll keep playing until I die or the servers do. The question I have is do I have to pre order the game before I make a lifetime subcription or does the lifetime subscription actually give me a copy of the game? :)

I'm going to go for the lifetime my self. I'll probably end up playing it at least 5 hours a week and I'll keep playing until I die or the servers do. The question I have is do I have to pre order the game before I make a lifetime subcription or does the lifetime subscription actually give me a copy of the game? :)

No, subscription and game are entirely separate.

Speaking for myself as a Briton, the fee for the lifetime subscription converts from $200 to £120, which, given that the subscription fees will most likely be £10 a month, means that even if the game does only last 2 years, I'll have made my money back by buying the lifetime offer.

Not that I believe for one second that CO will only last 2 years. I've been on the closed beta, and it's amazing! A better game than CoH/V out of the box. I'm dizzy with anticipation for what Cryptic will bring in as the years pass. It can only get better. I can't wait!

I got to play for a little while at GenCon. It was shiny and happy. I was too.

The characters are highly customizable and you have the option of having the thick black outline that is common in comic books/webcomics.

The folks at Cryptic handed out 4-5 limetime subscriptions and the crowd of people that crammed into that booth while waiting for the raffle was staggering.

There were some people that bought the lifetime subscription while they were in the area. The interest alone makes me confident that it'll last for awhile. There were lines to try out character creation, run through the city, kill the baddies... :thumbup:

I'm going to take the gamble and get the lifetime subscription. I will have to keep a towel nearby because the graphics are nummy.

Broadly speaking' date=' lifetime subscriptions have a flaw: companies allocate resources based on expected future earnings, not on past earnings. Buying a lifetime subscription helps short term finances (reducing the chance that the game will simply disappear) but does not create any future earnings (except to the degree it may cause subscribers to buy expansion packs, which is not negligible) and thus doesn't give the game as strong an incentive to improve.[/quote']

Not necessarily. Granting a lifetime subscription does help in the beginning, but those who purchase them are more likely to recommend the game to others, thus adding a new revenue stream.

I started playing WoW because my brother bought me the game for my birthday one year. I was an avid player for 3-4 years after that. I bought it for a friend.

If the players encourage others to play, it will ensure the success of the game AND provide opportunities for growth within the game itself.

Wow... I'm typically a pessimist. I must really like this game.

I was going to wait for the xbox release' date=' but from my conversations with the demo crew at Gencon I am not convinced it will happen. Microsoft is not allowing several features like PC & 360 users sharing servers. I will preorder the PC version tonight.[/quote']

That seems odd. Particularly since at the start of the project it seemed more like a XBox game that would also run on PCs.

And as to the actual topic of the thread, I sprang for the lifetime sub last night. :)

That seems odd. Particularly since at the start of the project it seemed more like a XBox game that would also run on PCs.

And as to the actual topic of the thread, I sprang for the lifetime sub last night. :)

One of the GenCon demo guys was all sunshine and unicorns about the 360 release, but two of his co-workers were more cautious with their enthusiasm.

Had a blast playing this at GenCon, and talking with the Cryptic folks. they seemed to really get a kick that my friend and I breezed through the character creation (of course we did a custom powerset) and costume..but we agaonized over the right name even on a one shot demo character.

So I've pre-ordered, doen the lifetime subscription..of course, to do so meant cancelling my ongoing CoH subscription. Time to go, unload my toons via respecs, and do a fire sale of my purple IO sets--or run around and trade them to level 2 starting toons I come across for fun.

Bought the lifetime after playing the beta this weekend. I am still blech on the "updated" character designs, and missing Nighthawk, but overall the game is fun and immersive. I do feel like I am in the CU. Made a pure Supernatural "angel" that looked more like a Victoria's Secret model, an Iron Maiden power armor toon, and my favorite so far is my Indiana Jones ripoff. Yes, I found enough powers to simulate limited pistol use, fisticuffs, fast healing and recovery, lunges, and chain (hoping for a whip power replacement, couldn't find one yet).

Even if I get bored, I can pick it up again later. And say what you will about Bill Roper, he is NOT running the company. I feel this game will not be a HG:L repeat. Jack Emmert pissed me off a few times in CoX, but so far his new game feels right. With no required fees ever again (expansions excepted), I can really enjoy this game without worrying about another bill. And the action is fun! I can fight non-stop and it's still enjoyable. Lifetime also grants more alt slots, so 16 toons at the start should do me good.

Wonder if I should start a gun and sword toon on the first... :)

One of the reasons I held off, was that I was researching a new laptop. With Windows 7 not coming out to Oct 22, I think I may wait until then for both laptop and game. I just don't feel like dealing with a MS upgrade, and I am hoping 7 is more gamer-friendly then Vista.

I will likely still play.... I just might wait until this season of DWTS is over. :D