Help naming a campaign

Manic Typist

I'm having trouble with the name for my upcoming Dark Champions paranormal game.

I'm looking for something with a bit of flair or mystery/foreboding tied to it, usually shorter is better.

Originally I was going with "Aberrants," as in aberrations, since the characters are all (in their own ways) beyond the normal paradigms of the everyday world.

However, this word is apparently heavily associated with White Wolf's game.

From suggestions/discussion on the chat, I'm also considering:

Protos

Metas (metahuman, etc)

Paras (paranormals)

Talents ("Look out, he's a Talent!")

The PCs (and some of the adversaries though not all) are not "normal" humans... they are beyond human. Different.

Bonus points if anyone can come up with something short that has ties/references to the idea of something greater following behind, as if what we're seeing now is merely a forerunner/precursor for something to come, some greater change, or even something ancient returning, or just a tie in to mythology in general.

Ideas, anyone?

Re: Help naming a campaign

I'm having trouble with the name for my upcoming Dark Champions paranormal game.

I'm looking for something with a bit of flair or mystery/foreboding tied to it, usually shorter is better.

Originally I was going with "Aberrants," as in aberrations, since the characters are all (in their own ways) beyond the normal paradigms of the everyday world.

However, this word is apparently heavily associated with White Wolf's game.

From suggestions/discussion on the chat, I'm also considering:

Protos

Metas (metahuman, etc)

Paras (paranormals)

Talents ("Look out, he's a Talent!")

The PCs (and some of the adversaries though not all) are not "normal" humans... they are beyond human. Different.

Bonus points if anyone can come up with something short that has ties/references to the idea of something greater following behind, as if what we're seeing now is merely a forerunner/precursor for something to come, some greater change, or even something ancient returning, or just a tie in to mythology in general.

Ideas, anyone?

there's a game thats a spinoff of GODLIKE called wild talents so that one should be scrapped ot the rest "paras" will do fine

*SNIP*

Ideas, anyone?

O-Men (contraction of "overmen.")

I don't know if I can top the suggestions already given, so I will simply make an effort with a couple of entries:

Event Horizon

New Moon Rising

The World is Changing

New Breeds

New Neighbors

The Leading Edge

The Verge of Evolution

A New Frontier

Take 'em, leave 'em, ridicule 'em, or any combination of the above...

Actually, the "supers" in the Aberrant game were called Novas. Aberrants (In the Aberrant universe) are just a small group of wanted Novas. Nova is short for Homo Sapien Novus.

Alphas (leading to Omegas)

Rads (short for Radiacals)

My only suggestion is if you want the name of the campaign to be something that is used to refer to the players, consider the realistic chances of it actually being adopted by people. I mean Forerunners would work for a campaign name, but who would run around calling people "fores"?

Also this would imply that it is known they are the first wave if you will. Is that common knowledge?

And I hope this is helpful, I am wanting to start up a DC game for some new players after a really long hiatus, so I will probably be bending some ears around here for help. :)

My only suggestion is if you want the name of the campaign to be something that is used to refer to the players' date=' consider the realistic chances of it actually being adopted by people. I mean Forerunners would work for a campaign name, but who would run around calling people "fores"? [/quote']

That is the exactly my criterion as well. While I've picked a campaign name, I still haven't 100% settled on whatever in game "handle" these types might adopt as a broad term. A lot of these ideas are really imaginative and I like them, but many lack the "street" feel to them.

• 1 month later...

That is the exactly my criterion as well. While I've picked a campaign name' date=' I still haven't 100% settled on whatever in game "handle" these types might adopt as a broad term. A lot of these ideas are really imaginative and I like them, but many lack the "street" feel to them.[/quote']

Dead Precedents? :D (now with bonus thread necromancy!)

That is the exactly my criterion as well. While I've picked a campaign name' date=' I still haven't 100% settled on whatever in game "handle" these types might adopt as a broad term. A lot of these ideas are really imaginative and I like them, but many lack the "street" feel to them.[/quote']

I had that in mind when I suggested the designation "Overmen" be contracted to "O-Men" for casual usage. The fact the contraction has overtones related to the ultimate direction of your campaign isn't something most "in-game" people should be aware of. :sneaky:

Some years ago I played what boiled down to supers run by a guy who claimed to hate supers. (Go figure)

Turns out what he didn't actually like was the traditional trappings, because we were all supers. No leotards; no awe-inspiring names; no glory, no use of the words "super" or "paranormals."

In his campaigns, there were various agencies that watched and screened for super-powered individuals (all powers came from a single "X-Event" that flashed across the universe) based on the amount of whatever-it-was he called his "super juice" that a person could channel.

Most people had trace content, which could never express itself, but could be passed to progeny. Those who had unusual amounts of "super juice" were split into two categories: "Spikes"-- those who, when charted, would show a much higher level of power potential than normals, though it may or may not express. If it expressed, these people would have very low-level powers-- think the "Super Zeros" thread ;).

And "Flares:" These people had a high enough level that it actually skewed the charts, and equipment for tracking the use of X-Event energies would often "flare off the scale" when one of these people was using their power within range of the equipment.