Top 75 Spaceships in movies and TV

Nyrath

Re: Top 75 Spaceships in movies and TV

They put the Aliens dropship as the number 1 ship. Seriously? :confused:

There were much better candidates. And not a mention of the Sharlin-class Minbarri cruiser or the Agamemnon Earth Alliance Cruiser. All Star Wars and Star Trek (okay that's an exaggeration). I declare the list devoid of any value.

Not that my declaration means anything. :D

The list is wrong wrong wrongity wrong wrong!

(Briefly explodes in an exhaustive list of dozens of ships that deserve to be on a list of "Top Spaceships in Movies and TV" more than the NSEA Protector from Galaxy Quest, or the "Klingon Tanker" (???)) Uncle Martin's ship from My Favorite Martian makes the cut, but the Death Star doesn't?

*ahem* (wipes sweat from brow.. takes a cleansing breath).

It's less a list of "Top 75 ships" and more of "75 ships I could think of before heading to bed on a Wednesday Night after watching Aliens."

(grumblegrumble TARDIS at 65.. grumble grumble.. nerd rage.. grumble)

They put the Aliens dropship as the number 1 ship. Seriously? :confused:

There were much better candidates. And not a mention of the Sharlin-class Minbarri cruiser or the Agamemnon Earth Alliance Cruiser. All Star Wars and Star Trek (okay that's an exaggeration). I declare the list devoid of any value.

Not that my declaration means anything. :D

These are personal choices of favourite spaceships...
;)

My biggest beef is, as always, the Romulan D'Daridex. The name of this class, according to the sourcebooks, was translated as Executioner.

But everyone refers to it as a Warbird, because 'all Romulan ships are Warbirds.' Sheer laziness.

What's worse, it's so prevalent that it was done repeatedly in the various shows. So now calling Executioners by the same name as those piddly little scouts is officially cannon!

Sigh. :(

I think the Hammerheads from Space Above and Beyond should have made the list, despite the show being so bad I couldn't even watch it despite my desperate need for Sci-Fi movies and shows.

But yeah, some great stuff on that list, but a lot of tripe as well.

That was some great cheese right there. Later on in the season, it actually got pretty okay. There was one episode about the genetically engineered guy that was really kinda cool.

I agree with the Hammerhead statement.

This list is so bad I have no choice but to begin work on my own top one hundred spacecraft in science fiction. Actually, spaceships are so *&^%$#@! cool I may drop the SF requirement and include some real world examples.

This project is gonna take a while....

X.O.

Then you need to include something from Niven. Just on the names alone (Hot Needle of Inquiry and Lying Bastard are two good ones). Oh, and some Culture ships.

• 4 weeks later...

That was some great cheese right there. Later on in the season, it actually got pretty okay. There was one episode about the genetically engineered guy that was really kinda cool.

I agree with the Hammerhead statement.

"Who Monitors the Birds?" Great script. There were three or four episodes of that show that were great. I'm also partial to "Ray Butts", "The Angriest Angel", "The Farthest Man from Home", and "Sugar Dirt" from that series.

The show was mostly pretty sad, but if you think back to the early 90s TV landscape, it was actually one of the few shows in the genre going.

I think over the years I've watched at least one episode of every SF show ever made. Many I stopped watching immediately, but I lways like to give a genre show a chance. I actually liked S:AAB better than most, as chessy as it could be.

Oh, and I also think the Starfury got Worphed on that list. That's a great design.

"Who Monitors the Birds?" Great script.
That's the one. A completely different tone than just about anything else in the show. An instant grabber for me because it was an exercise in balance between dramatic and bleak. "Ray Butts" was the runner up to that one.

And now for something completely different.....posting in relation to the thread topic. :)

I think whenever you make a list of cool things, you are going to leave off somebody's favorite somewhere. Or you are going to put something else ahead of something that somebody else thinks is cool. Hazard of the occupation. On the other hand, to be so ignorant of so many other sources is pretty much unforgivable. The leaves us to our own lists and I bet that most folks here have their very own "top" lists and no two would be identical.

I tend to favor Star Wars ships the most, in part because they cheerfully violate the laws of physics the most and actually look used when they are old or beat-up. In contrast, Voyager still looks spacedock-new after getting shot up time after time in the Delta Quadrant...but at least Trek ships have cool stories to go with them too.

I can't forget Serenity from Firefly either. No weapons, no stellar battle record...but one of the coolest crews ever to sail the Black.

Regrettably, I have not seen B5, so I can't comment on their vessels.

Regrettably, I have not seen B5, so I can't comment on their vessels.

As Nolgroth noted, it's really more about opinions than anything else. For example, I've seen most of B5, and ship-wise, I don't think you missed anything other than some really nice animations. The designs for anything other than the B5 itself, and a couple of the earth ships, really didn't do much for me.

I'm a bit disappointed that nothing from Farscape made his top 75 list, though. Not heartbroken; just disappointed. After all, it's just an opinion piece, right? :thumbup:

Regrettably' date=' I have not seen B5, so I can't comment on their vessels.[/quote']

I am a huge fan. Reactions from folks I introduced to it recently tell me it may not have aged well (I'm still pretty nostalgic). It suffers from a plot arc that takes most of a season to get going, and having several of the worst episodes in the series in the first half of season 1. (The Sponge painted sets felt very futuristic in 1994, now they look really.. 1994)

Back in the day, it was a revelation. The only SciFi on TV at the time was all either ripping off Star Trek or Aliens. B5 had a very different mentality: long term fallout from actions, developing technology that wasn't forgotten later, and inertia in space. All these things are pretty common now, but they were a bolt from the blue when the show came on.

As for B5 ships? The Earth Alliance ships were all fun in an erector set kind of way. The StarFury fighter gets bonus points for being the first TV show ship that didn't handle like an atmospheric fighter.

Many of the alien ships were overly organic for my tastes.