I Replace your Reality with My Own! (Power Ideas)

matrix3

I have an RFP (Request For Powers) for a special effect idea I had. I want an NPC to have a form of extra-dimensional powers. Not Extra Dimensional Movement per-se, but instead the character can superimpose objects from an alternate reality onto this one, or temporarily swap objects between dimensions.

Examples:

-- Character is imprisoned (or otherwise trapped). He swaps a wall with the air that occupies the same place in an alternate dimension

-- Conversely, the character is being shot at, so he replaces the empty air with wall/hill/tree that occupies the same spot in an alternate dimension.

-- Extending that, the character wants to imprison an opponent, so he imprisons the opponent in a jail cell that occupies that exact spot in an alternate dimension. Hey, with infinite dimensions, there is certain to be one that just happens to have a jail cell on that exact spot, right?

I was going to limit the power to working on non-sentients, to prevent "corn field" syndrome. I was also thinking of some sort of gross manipulation limit, so no wishing away individual weapons or armor from around an opponent. Maybe a Concentration limitation, so that it isn't "wishing away" so much as actively maintaining a swap.

It's going to be an NPC, so I don't have to worry bout player abuse. Would this work? What other powers can you think of?

Re: I Replace your Reality with My Own! (Power Ideas)

Bloody near anything. Flight' date=' by stepping from 'dimensional rock to dimensional rock'. Etc. etc. VPP this thing, but give 'em a big END or Concentration hit.[/quote']

The stepping between dimensional rocks sounds good, but there'd be some serious limits since he couldn't do real flight with "loop the loops" or anything.

What would that be? "Always in a standing position"?

If you don't want to go the VPP route, you might want to take a look at the physical component of Tezcatlipoca's Restore the Aztec World spell from Arcane Enemies. Something like that, with the MegaScale traded in for a more reasonable Area of Effect might model being able to pull physical structures/conditions out of other dimensions to manipulate reality. Of course, you'd probably need to take the Improved Results Group modifier for the variety of effects, which could make it pretty costly.

I like the VPP. Concentration, as Wyrm notes, is a good mod to use. But how about a varible mod' depending upon location and action. Say minimal concentration, a half phase action perhaps to stand in a bar having a beer and slowly rotate through the possible bars until you find the one where spare change has been left to pay for the beer. More time, several segements, to find the world with the alley where the brick wall blocking your escape was never built or had a door in it. And then huge great 'don't touch he's thinking' turns to find the world where the control codes to turn off the thermonuclear device were left on a slip of paper under the door mat :)

As an alternate thought, this is going to be a honking great power. So don't do anything with martial arts abilities, detective skills, knowledge areas etc. Make this an overcoat, suit and tie wearing everyman. He's never had to study much, he could always pass exams by letting his mind wander through other dimensions until it came across an alternate self who was sitting /had sat the exam. Likewise money. One of his alternates must have had cash. Just go through thier worlds collecting some. And you wondered what happened to that $5 bill you put in your wallet? It's been collected by an alternate you.

Neat idea with lots of possibilities.

Well

I played a 4 dimensional spider named Ickerus

that was stuck in the 3 dimensional world

In this universe, most of the mass is trapped in the 3 dimension world

so gravity is centered there.

Ickerus once lived in whispy threads far above the volume that is the 3 dimensional universe.

One time, he wondered to close to the volume gravity and fell to the 3 dimension universe.

Here, ickerus can walk on either side of the universe volume like the surface sheet of water

237875014_4d579d57c5.jpg

Water Spider (Raft Spider)

Ickerus

has teleport, invisibility, disolid, stretching, web weaving

I put it all those powers in a 60 point cosmic pool (limitted)

+ N-Ray 360 degrees

30 str martial artist

worked well

especially for web building

Concentration' date=' as Wyrm notes, is a good mod to use. But how about a variable mod' depending upon location and action. Say minimal concentration, a half phase action perhaps to stand in a bar having a beer and slowly rotate through the possible bars until you find the one where spare change has been left to pay for the beer. [/quote']

Then you really concentrate, work your way down the time chart,

and rotate into a universe where Sean Water's rules ideas are in effect

and favor your next course of action.

ooo. Though' date=' I might save that for an "upgraded" version of this NPC.[/quote']

It's actually ---

no; that's not right.

When I originally asked about the workings of gravity, I had this image of an infinite stacking of universes, graphed X-Y with all of their Z planes intersecting at 0,0. As such, I saw universes in which "down" was simply in a different direction, all spiraling away like a fractal conch---

Man, it's really hard to put into words.... :nonp:

It's going to be an NPC, so I don't have to worry bout player abuse. Would this work? What other powers can you think of?

He replaces the air around the target with air from another dimension that's toxic. (NND Attack, defence doesn't breath/immune to gas selected, etc.)

The one where he removes the wall by replacing it with nothing sounds like Desolid usable against others (defence being hardened defences?)

Porting a cage over the target is obviously entangle.

Turns the ground the person is standing on into sand (Drain running)

Turns the ground the person is standing on into ice (Change Environment -X to Dex, linked to Negative skill penalty rolls Dex rolls)

Replaces "bad air" around the target with breathable air (Life Support usable by others).

Drops an anvil on target's head (EB, physical, indirect (from above target)

Rain of fire - brings in rain from another dimension that is made of fire. (AOE EB, indirect).

Changes the earth's rotation around him (TK only to push target forward).

Transplants the temperature from another dimension (change environment, perhaps linked with a drain to CON, and STR to represent sapping one's strength and endurance due to heat exhaustion, or a DEX drain if it's a large drop in temperature and the target is shivering)

Dump a bunch of water over top of a fire based character (Drain Fire Power Effects, or perhaps Dispel or suppress if doing specifically to a force field or another constant power)

Removes attacks that are hurtling towards the target (Missile deflection works on others. or perhaps a really strong force wall with the FX of the attack is shunted away).

I would suggest building this an an VPP or if you want to limit the amount of on the fly power creation a multi power with tons of slots. and you just come up with a huge amount of things he can do..

If using a VPP I would suggest having him make a KS: Alternate Dimensions roll in order to be able to chose the correct spot form the correct dimension at the right time to get the effect he wants. Obviously he needs to know a massive amount of dimensions rather well in order for him to do this. Unless this is more of an instinctual power and he just decides what he wants to happen and his mind/power just finds the perfect dimension to use.

like the Abyss? lower right corner

Not entirely like that, but you know, that's still a good representation of the principle. No, actually-- exactly like that. If all the planes (assuming that the dissecting lines are the "ground" of a plane. I just saw them at the point where they all intersected. ;)

At any rate: Yes! Exactly like that! :lol: Each "down" is slightly different. If his Flight is hopping on extra-dimensional extensions of rocks from each dimension, it's entirely possible that he could simply _walk_ into a complete loop-de-loop, or a barrel roll, or even execute a perfect swan dive straight _up_! :eek:

I think you need to cnsider his personality a whole lot more.

With this ability to replace bits of this world with bits of another world or an alternate world he could stop crime dead - literally - with relative ease. He could be and probably is undisputed ruler of all he surveys. Afterall, what's the difference between bringing bits of an alternate reality here and sending the target to that alternate reality? And don't say points.

This guy is a slacker. He has limited enthusiasm or needs. (Think on the later appearences of the old FF foe, the Molecule Man. A person with godlike ability settled into domestic bliss after the Secret Wars). No real abilities, knowledge areas or skills. He doesn't need them. So where has he been all this time, what's he been doing? Does he do temp work at a little bar in a run down neighbourhood? Works as a janitor perhaps? Runs an outdoor newspaper stall as he's an inveterate people watcher?

Don't fret the powers, nail down the personality.

I think you need to cnsider his personality a whole lot more.

With this ability to replace bits of this world with bits of another world or an alternate world he could stop crime dead - literally - with relative ease. He could be and probably is undisputed ruler of all he surveys. Afterall, what's the difference between bringing bits of an alternate reality here and sending the target to that alternate reality? And don't say points.

This guy is a slacker. He has limited enthusiasm or needs. (Think on the later appearences of the old FF foe, the Molecule Man. A person with godlike ability settled into domestic bliss after the Secret Wars). No real abilities, knowledge areas or skills. He doesn't need them. So where has he been all this time, what's he been doing? Does he do temp work at a little bar in a run down neighbourhood? Works as a janitor perhaps? Runs an outdoor newspaper stall as he's an inveterate people watcher?

Don't fret the powers, nail down the personality.

Oh, that just gave me an idea. Let's say his powers activated at puberty. Around this time, he had a friend who introduced him to anime. So he's watching anime, and discovers that he could pull anything, or anyone, from alternate dimensions. I know one guy who was perhaps not the most well-adjusted guy, who got really into anime (and, *shudder*, hentai) and lived in his parents' basement into his 30's. And he didn't have the ability to physically manifest the stars of the anime he watched.

I could have the power be local manifestations, but have "ripples" in reality, and now that he's been using his powers for a few years, strange things are happening. Reality is weakening around the city, things from movies and books are popping out into our reality, and the PC's need to track down the source...who happens to be Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons with reality altering powers.

Reminds me, I've been thinking about figuring out the writeup for "Alter Reality" and think one of the better ways to do it is to specify parameters for it, like "Alter reality, 1 meter radius", or "can only alter nonliving things".

Probably the best way is simply a VPP with appropriate advantages and limitations. In theory, even "alter reality, 1 millimeter radius" could have some ingame effects. "Alter reality, 10 centimeter radius", for example, would be a large enough area to include someone's mind. Or large enough to conjure up a lightsaber, hand phaser or fistful of diamonds.

"Alter reality, 100,000 km radius", of course, is basically an "I win" power, so anything like that would have to be heavily limited.

The "lazy, stoner demigod" concept is kinda funny, actually. He could reign supreme over the planet, but instead he just hangs out in the garage(well, ok, this particular garage seems to contain about 50,000 square feet, 3 levels, an indoor pool and a well-stocked video arcade/entertainment center) with "alt clones" of centerfolds and Hot 100 celebs, drinking brewskis and taking hits from his platinum-lined water bong. "But I have everything I want--all that other stuff would be too much hassle."

Perhaps, instead of the stoner demigod, he's got an interfering 'Q' type personality?

Picking on somebody and pestering the beejeezus out of them - Hmmmm....no. don't Batmite/Mr. Myxyzptlk this thing. Stay with the basement dweller or the guy who runs the news stand and just likes talking to people.

What happens when one too many of the things he alters has effect on the same alternate reality and that dimension's superheroes come looking for the guy who keeps making walls appear in the middle of traffic or disappear, and as a result, destroys entire buildings and such. What happens on the other side when he imprisons someone here with the jail cell that just happens to occupy the same place as his enemy? Does the prisoner there have a chance to escape? Plot devices galore…

Bigby gave me an idea, his name cames from Willingham's Fables. (True/False?)

So, the fables must exist somewhere. A childhood where his mother read him stories at night and then, when she had gone, the characters came to tell him what REALLY happened. Where teh big bad wolf was his pal and protected him. Where he could borrow the Tarnhelm any time he needed it and sometimes had a beer with Rumpelstiltskin who gave him the real low down on what the blonde did of an evening...

So many possibilities, so little time.

What happens when one too many of the things he alters has effect on the same alternate reality and that dimension's superheroes come looking for the guy who keeps making walls appear in the middle of traffic or disappear' date=' and as a result, destroys entire buildings and such. What happens on the other side when he imprisons someone here with the jail cell that just happens to occupy the same place as his enemy? Does the prisoner there have a chance to escape? Plot devices galore…[/quote']

You ARE an evil genius!:eg:

Unfortunately, I AM still outta rep! (Just how late did I start dishing it out Monday?)