Religious Super Heros PC or otherwise

Hermit

Religion doesn't come up much in my campaigns and I prefer to keep it that way. I've had the Catholic church involved in a couple conspiracy things in the past though, and in my current campaign the local Catholic church is sort of an oddball messenger for all sorts of things, but it's deliberately muddy as to whether that means the church has any real ties to those efforts (and as those efforts are contradictory, it's questionable that they would). Fringe ritualistic organizations have come up though in the more "traditional" ways they're treated in conspiracy/UFO texts.

As far as PCs I don't recall any really in campaigns I've GMed. My PC in a game is religious in his way (Native American mysticism) but mostly it stays in a friendly-but-serious "competition" of sorts with the scientist character, and commentary on the other characters' misguided "modern" ways. Because the character himself is pretty misinformed, though, it's not that serious overall, and (I think/hope) it is played in a way that doesn't reflect on any Native American beliefs in real life.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by zornwil

(I think/hope) it is played in a way that doesn't reflect on any Native American beliefs in real life.

This is an important point. I currently have one born again Christian player, and I've had mildly or very religious players from other faiths in the past. I try to treat religion respectfully in my games, and Comic Book style I avoid any final commitments to "Truth" one way or another. That said, there are tons of great demonic villains and supernatural plotlines out there, and I just can't see having campaigns with hell(s) but without heaven(s).

Horror movies have no such problem, but that's not the genre I run... ;)

Haven't we talked about this before ?

I had a witch who was being trained to use magic. Her parents were murdered by Satanists and she had been enchanted by her grandfather to have the power to use vast amounts of magic. After she was caught by the Pentacle, the campaign's evil equivalent to DEMON, half her soul was taken away and the other half used with a demon. She became very religious after that. She has seen that the evil side existed therefore the good side shoul to.

The second one was Archangel. She came from a timeline where the Germans won WW2 and dropped the Atomic Bomb on Coventry. She was at ground zeo and God gave her the chance to return and fight evil so she did. After the timeline was returned to normal (Hexenmeister used the Spear of Destiny to change time), Archangel was thought dead. Her real ID in the normal world had been killed trying to save lives in the Blitz on Coventry. However she lated returned to battle evil when more dimensional cross over villains attacked and created havoc with the time lines.

Re: Re: My religion(s) beats your religion

Originally posted by Trebuchet

That's almost got to be the Noir campaign here inEl Paso. :) Are you the same Chris who sat in at our MidGuard adventure a couple of months ago (The one at Dale & Loren's house)?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of difficulties does "True Believer" cause for Darkchilde? And how the heck can she "truly believe" a half dozen religions? :confused:

Guilty as charged.

It certainly influences her behavior even when it's not directly difficult. Then again, walking into a den of vampires proved to be a little unnerving for *both* sides.

A little of the confusion probably stems from the player's lack of understanding of multiple religions, but so long as a Power exists, she believes and tries to obey their tenets. Which means a lot of time in penance, usually. She hasn't directly faced the the discrepancy between multiple "I am the only" types. She's not sure if there's just One acting as many, or that some of them are flawed.

While she's a pretty fun character, she is kinda difficult to play for those reasons.

Originally posted by Lupus

Mmm, yeah. Isn't fire evil in Zoroastrianism? It's either fire=evil and earth=good, or perhaps the other way around. I forget.

Zoroastrians are often referred to as "fire-worshippers", though that is more of a misinterpretation of their beliefs.

So, fire = good.

Dunno about earth = evil. Things with "bad" connotations tend to be corpses, ashes, and so forth.

I currently have one born again Christian player

For your player (and any others interested), I recommend checking out The Christian Gamers Guild, at http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/2964/

I've even got a Christian superhero (Samaritan) written up in their ezine The Way The Truth And The Dice.

Religions:

I use a mixture of Real world, and some comic stuff. I have had so many different gods of various type show up over the years, I have trouble keeping track of them. I never did them the way they are done in the comics, though.

An example is the Greek Pantheon existed, in history, and mythology...but they were founded by a time traveller (who happened to be a PC). Kronos/Saturn = God of time, get it?

Odin of course, was a human turned into a cyborg by aliens, millenia ago. One eye? Super senses? Magical knowledge? Can travel to other worlds? Claims that the world will be destroyed (Rangarok, the aliens could see the future, of course.)

Conventional religions are also present. One character statred off as a moderate muslim, but then kept running into evil magic-using types. For some reason, the exil magic users seemed to be common in protestant countries. He became practically an islamic militant, so far as fighting magic was concerned.

Another character has conections to a secret Catholic order of nuns, who travel around fighting occult menaces with automatic weapons. (What can I say, 2 years of Catholic school)

I once had an alien invasion, where as part of the terms of the treaty, the invaders were baptized by the Pope. Why? In my campaign, some governments claim that extraterrestrials aren't entitled to the same rights as humans (So they can lock them up and steal their stuff) :)

There are also a couple of ancient dragons around, who have cults. They claim to be able to grant magical powers to their faithful. It was one of the ways you can get magic in my campaign.

I never cared much for the "comic book demon" from "dimension X". Religion should never be portrayed as a certain, defenite thing, in my opinion.

Best religious character in the Hero Universe is Brother Bone, of the Devils Advocates (Horror Hero)

Originally posted by Lightray

Zoroastrians are often referred to as "fire-worshippers", though that is more of a misinterpretation of their beliefs.

So, fire = good.

Dunno about earth = evil. Things with "bad" connotations tend to be corpses, ashes, and so forth.

Not certain, but I think they go with an 'Darkness/Cold=Evil" to counterbalance the "Light/Fire=Good"

Religion? What's that?

Religion doesn't play a part in my game world, except for one background detail.

In my world, the pope has a trio of metahuman bodyguards. They're all vaguely brickish with other abilities. They claim their powers come from God. Various people have tested them, and the best that can be said is that their auras are somewhat magical, but mages can't identify it.

Since they're not really a superhero team, they don't have a team name (they, and the Church, insist on that point). Nonetheless, most people call them The Trinity.

Re: Faith vs. Religion...

Originally posted by RDU Neil

The political and social implications of organized religion being either supported or undermined by the wild reality of a superhero universe has always been a factor in my games. The Catholic Church and it's use of devout paranormals is a major theme, currently. It began years ago, when a player made up a swashbuckling swordsman type, who was a devout Catholic wielding the Sword of God... a rapier that could cut through anything. Great character, Argentinian, who became a world renown celebrity to the masses of Catholics around the world... but was struggling secretly with the corrupt machinations of secret Papal organizations.

Of course, this doesn't even begin to address the fact that at least one PC is in the process of developing a religion around himself as a god who will save humanity.

I love messing with belief systems. It generates great role playing. Then again, in my world, organized religion and Republicans are inherently evil, and... oh yeah... same in the real world too. ;)

Oh, yeah? Um, um, well in my world Democrats have sold their souls to the devil and moderates are doing it on the installment plan while gawdless communists eat away at our country's foundations like termites! Just like in Washington, D.C.! :P

On a slightly more serious note, there's the comic Warrior Nun Areala by Antarctic Press. The creator once said that he got petitioned by a NYC order of nuns that practice karate and tai kwon do(WE:Ruler?). They objected to Areala's revealing habit. He eventually changed it.

Didn't those nuns have any compassion for the world's nun fetishists?:)

Chello!

Had a few religious supers over the years.

There was Salvation--he was a Protestant flying e-blaster. In his secret id who was a televangelist. Retired after killing a werewolf that turned out to be a teenager.

Archangel--the avatar of St Michael Archangel--flyer with wings, muy kewl flaming sword and armor.

Isaiah 26: 4--another Catholic, this one a fairly standard brick. That said, except for Archangel's interactions with the Vatican, my GMs have pretty much ignored religion outside of the bad guys, like DEMON, Dark Seraph, ec.

feh.

Tony

Who do you Worship?

Actually I took the character Espirita, from West Coast Avengers and made a Jewish version.

In real life he was ; Rabbi Judah Ben Jacob

In hero form (yep you guessed it); Maccabe

Then there's always the Satanic cults. (too many to name in Marvel)

Then there was Dr Druid, I think he worshipped Gaea.

Hey how about Thor, Hercules etc. There are a whole bunch of people in Marvel who are considered gods (and some of them have followers)

Originally posted by Isaiah_26_4

Isaiah 26: 4--another Catholic, this one a fairly standard brick. That said, except for Archangel's interactions with the Vatican, my GMs have pretty much ignored religion outside of the bad guys, like DEMON, Dark Seraph, ec.

Nice Cross of Jerusalem avatar, Isaiah. Very classy looking. :)

Re: Who do you Worship?

Originally posted by Maccabe

Hey how about Thor, Hercules etc. There are a whole bunch of people in Marvel who are considered gods (and some of them have followers)

Current Thor storylines - Spirals in Thor, Lord of Asgard, and Thor, Lord of Earth have an interesting twist on this. You need to go back a bit, otherwise the current issue will completely throw you.

Well, I'm developing a team of Christian heroes (mainly Catholic, I suppose, but I haven't really made a denominational point of it).

* Archangel (think Thor, with a sword)

* Disciple (he'd be Zatanna with prayers instead of backwards-speak)

* Requiem (Batman-style vigilante)

The other members are St. Peter's Star (from Classic Organizations) and Steadfast (from the MC-8; thanks, Hermit!). I'm planning on developing a few others as well, to round out the team.

Glen

On topic, why do y'all think it is that GMs (and comics in general) tend to focus on the bad guys as religious (well, demons and the like) but usually fail to have religious heroes? There are of course exceptions like Nightcrawler, but they are the exception.

Tony

Well, this is all my opinion, naturally, but I'd say that it's easier to make someone who is offensive and religious than it is to make someone who is religious and doesn't manage to torque off some group. It's almost a no-brainer; take one closed-minded jerk, add superpowers and religion/philosophy/politics/whatever, and stir. If you grab your typical religious baddie, remove the religion, and take a look at them, you'll see that they're almost all obnoxious in ways that bear little to no relation to the religion in question or its current practicioners; the religion is nothing more than an "excuse" to be a slimeball.

Which, when you look at the world around us, makes a helluva lotta sense.

On topic, why do y'all think it is that GMs (and comics in general) tend to focus on the bad guys as religious (well, demons and the like) but usually fail to have religious heroes? There are of course exceptions like Nightcrawler, but they are the exception.

It's important to recognize that there's a substantial difference between "being religious" like Nightcrawler and being "of a religion" like Thor or Hercules. With Nightcrawler, I think the comic writers mostly wanted to explore the dichotomy between his demonic looks and his faith. I also don't recall Nightcrawler as being particularly religious when he was first introduced in the 80's; his Catholicism was sort of mentioned in passing but wasn't a major issue. You'll also note that Nightcrawler as portrayed is virtually a religious fanatic; not really a typical Catholic. Most Catholics don't walk around with a rosary praying all the time (I know, I was raised Catholic and have been dating a devoutly Catholic woman for 22+ years). The movie version was even worse; Nightcrawler was mutilating himself whenever he sinned. This is a very medieval extremist version of Catholicism; one the Church itself opposed. Nightcrawler isn't religious in any real sense; he's more a caricature of a religious character. In essense, Nightcrawler is really more anti-religious because he's portrayed as a virtual nutcase.

Thor and similar characters are based on pagan dieties, but hardly act religious. ("All-Father Odin, helpeth me kicketh mine enemy's butt!" hardly constitutes praying. :) ) I think you'd need to look for characters based on current "real" religions' heroes and villains. DC's Azrael probably qualifies; I think he's supposed to actually be an angel.

Chello!

Thank you, Trebuchet!

Tony

While I agree with BR's comments, I'd add:

God is scary, and he's a campaign breaker.

Allow the traditional Christian God into your fiction or campaign, and you have to answer questions about why all of those demons and ghosts are running around. It's tough to do that and stay within traditional Judeo-Christian theology. It can be done (look at DC's Vertigo line) but it's tough, and you'll likely offend somebody.

People take God very seriously. In any published comic book or RPG offending people can equal lost sales. It can work the other way as well, but many publishers don't want to take the risk.

God is also scary. God means final judgement, and while Hollywood has turned that into a fluffy bunny easy ride, many traditional views of God will have you burning in Hell forever for failing to deeply and sincerely regret things that most non-traditionalists would consider to be normal human thoughts, emotions or behaviors.

Far more fun to have non-denominational Angels and Demons that can be overcome with a shotgun. ;)

It's important to recognize that there's a substantial difference between "being religious" like Nightcrawler and being "of a religion" like Thor or Hercules. With Nightcrawler, I think the comic writers mostly wanted to explore the dichotomy between his demonic looks and his faith. I also don't recall Nightcrawler as being particularly religious when he was first introduced in the 80's; his Catholicism was sort of mentioned in passing but wasn't a major issue. You'll also note that Nightcrawler as portrayed is virtually a religious fanatic; not really a typical Catholic. Most Catholics don't walk around with a rosary praying all the time (I know, I was raised Catholic and have been dating a devoutly Catholic woman for 22+ years). The movie version was even worse; Nightcrawler was mutilating himself whenever he sinned. This is a very medieval extremist version of Catholicism; one the Church itself opposed. Nightcrawler isn't religious in any real sense; he's more a caricature of a religious character. In essense, Nightcrawler is really more anti-religious because he's portrayed as a virtual nutcase.

Thor and similar characters are based on pagan dieties, but hardly act religious. ("All-Father Odin, helpeth me kicketh mine enemy's butt!" hardly constitutes praying. :) ) I think you'd need to look for characters based on current "real" religions' heroes and villains. DC's Azrael probably qualifies; I think he's supposed to actually be an angel.

As you descibed it - whcih is accurate in and of itself - it sounds like Nightcrawler's a nutcase, but I didn't feel that way from the movie. The way I felt from the movie portrayal, he's so alien in his mutation and that mutation dictates his reality be so different that self-mutilation (while by no means, as you say, espoused by Catholicism) seems like "merely" a decorative add-on, nothing more than what would be a tattoo to you or I. From the movie I felt he was rationale, devout, and troubled all at once, but not dysfunctional. HIs self-etchings were beautiful even as they were scars.

Bear in mind I never read anything of Nightcrawler in the comics.

Hey, btw, Treb, what did you think of Ragman?

The street-level CHAMPIONS campaign I ran for about 3 years during the 90s featured some religion-themed characters, one a PC and the other two NPCs. It started with an NPC hero who was there to act as a potential rival, ally or balancing factor for the PCs, and to be sort of the opposite of the grim, dark characters who were so prevalent back then. Redeemer was a fundamentalist Christian who was essentially a very skilled athlete (gymnast, boxer and wrestler) who also had several dice of luck that only worked if he was certain of the righteousness of his cause, and which he considered "divine providence." He was openly Christian, even incorporating the cross into his costume, and was extremely law-abiding.

The presence of this character prompted one of the players to make his character, The Reverend. Essentially a religious version of Stick (Daredevil's mentor, from the Marvel comic), with a couple of low-level psychic powers and a mind link to his follower (a seeing-eye/attack dog), The Reverend was a blind street preacher who took a bit more active role than most in fighting street-level crime. He was also less dogmatic than Redeemer, leading to some memorable PC/NPC interaction along the lines of theological and philosophical debates, particularly since the Reverend wasn't beyond breaking the law to serve the greater good.

The third religion-themed character in the campaign was an NPC villain, Brother Night. He had a public persona as a minister and evangelist, the Reverend Thomas Knight, who spoke out against lawless vigilantes and other negative influences on society, but was also secretly the cult leader/vice kingpin Brother Night. In addition to being one of the Reverend's Hunteds, Reverend Knight/Brother Night served as a stand-in to corrupt, real-world religious figures who pose as moral watchdogs and stick their noses into others' business but aren't particularly moral themselves.

Anyhow, the religious themes didn't cause any problems as handled in that campaign. The players were all mature, and having someone represent religious POVs served to deepen the campaign, in everyone's opinion.