What if...

quozaxx

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What if...

The Punisher is also a fine example of what a normal could do in a super human world (before they turned him into Frankenstein) as could Iron Fist and Shang-Chi. They don't have powers but advanced training.

Shang Chi has "kung fu action hero movie" level martial arts. He can do utterly ridiculous things, but is simply a peak skill martial artists in the MU.

By contrast, Iron Fist has outright mystic chi based Super Powers.

• 2 weeks later...

What if the Amalgam line of comics was continued?

What if your "friendly" neighborhood spider-man, wasn't friendly?

The Spider-Man thing was done in Exiles. For a brief period of time one of the members of the team was an alternate universe version of Peter Parker who was essentially a sociopathic killer. It was actually a neat twist for a limited series.

What if Superman had grown up in Gotham instead of Smallville?

What if Punisher had superpowers?

What if Reed Richards had become a villain? (See Planetary for a close approximation, but I would like to see a Marvel book where Reed is essentially Dr. Doom.)

What if Superman had grown up in Gotham instead of Smallville?

'Elseworlds' (DC's answer to 'What If?') had one version of this with a quite reasonable (IMO) graphic novel called 'Speeding Bullets'.

Kal-El's ship lands near Gotham City, where a certain rich couple (who apparently just lost their son) and their butler find the ship and decide to raise him. All goes well until, one fateful night, a street crim called Joe Chill tries to rob them in a dark alley, and ends up shooting both of the parents ....

'Elseworlds' (DC's answer to 'What If?') had one version of this with a quite reasonable (IMO) graphic novel called 'Speeding Bullets'.

Kal-El's ship lands near Gotham City, where a certain rich couple (who apparently just lost their son) and their butler find the ship and decide to raise him. All goes well until, one fateful night, a street crim called Joe Chill tries to rob them in a dark alley, and ends up shooting both of the parents ....

I've heard of Elseworlds but have never seen one. Was it it's own series? Or just special single shots?

Then Marvel would be Cool Again.

~Rex

I was listening to the news the other day, an they were talking about the number of billionaires in the world. Anyway, the CEO of Marvel Comics, Isaac Perlmutter, just became one on the basis the company's sale to Disney. Even though I find that most of the books are not as enjoyable as they once were, they must be doing something right.

Only "Elseworlds" title I read was "Batman vs Dracula" in which Batman defeats Dracula at the cost of becoming a vampire himself. There's a sequel, "Red Rain" in which Batman, has now become a killer, preying on Gotham's criminals and it's up to Gordon and Alfred to destroy him.

Here's a more general one--What If the first superpowered individuals weren't Caucasian? What would it have done for the concepts of white superiority and "white man's burden" if there were superpowered Africans, or superpowered Native Americans? Would people rethink their perceptions and prejudices, or would whites persecute superbeings that much more for being "freaks" and "abominations?"

For that matter, What If women became superpowered first, and men later or not at all? Suppose something like the Wild Card virus developed on Earth one or two centuries ago, and only affected women in great numbers--would every society be upended, with men becoming second-class citizens and women holding the vastly greater share of legal and political power? Or would women be more just and peaceful rulers of society, as William Moulton Marston supposed?

If superheroes really existed, would there be no superhero comics, as Watchmen supposed? If there were, would there be ficticious heroes to go along with the licensed adventures of the real superheroes? And which would be more popular?

If superheroes really existed, would there be no superhero comics, as Watchmen supposed? If there were, would there be ficticious heroes to go along with the licensed adventures of the real superheroes? And which would be more popular?

the comics might be of atlete heroes/heroines

Here's a more general one--What If the first superpowered individuals weren't Caucasian? What would it have done for the concepts of white superiority and "white man's burden" if there were superpowered Africans, or superpowered Native Americans? Would people rethink their perceptions and prejudices, or would whites persecute superbeings that much more for being "freaks" and "abominations?"

?

But don't we already have that narrative, in the sense that popular culture still takes wuxia martial arts sort-of seriously. Ninjas can walk on water, king fu masters have death touches, sumo wrestlers have a telekinetic attack.... It seems to fit quite neatly with the "Western" narrative. Sure, those cute Asians have superpowers, but we have the Scientific Method!

For that matter, What If women became superpowered first, and men later or not at all? Suppose something like the Wild Card virus developed on Earth one or two centuries ago, and only affected women in great numbers--would every society be upended, with men becoming second-class citizens and women holding the vastly greater share of legal and political power? Or would women be more just and peaceful rulers of society, as William Moulton Marston supposed?

Uhm, I'm not sure that we should take Marston entirely at face value on this one. (Talk about shooting fish in a barrel.)

Personally, I go for licensed comics ..with all that implies:

Senator Fogghorn: "And am I to understand that your comics are based on privileged information from this underground mutant clique? That you have private sources of information about the Unamerican activities of these evolutionary terrorists that you have withheld from Congress?"

Chris Claremont: "N'ever would I r'eveal the s'ecrets entrusted in m'e by the goddess-woman known to you as Storm."

John Byrne: "Yeah, they use a private residential institution for autistic teenagers as a cover. It's just outside Canajoharie, New York. Now, if it were me, you'd put all the girls in a women's prison. With CCTV, and round the clock monitoring. At least until they can all be brainwashed by an expert. I have room on my schedule."

For that matter, What If women became superpowered first, and men later or not at all?

I have always wanted to play around with this idea and flesh it out more. I was inspired by a Modern Outer Limit where certain women had a chromosome that granted powers which no man did not have. In my universe the Witch Hunters (nasty shadow organization) for years kept so called "Witches" in check. But it was the advent of World War II and the use of Super-powered Women by the Axis that led to to a group of women to leave hiding their powers and come to the aid of the allies. What few male heroes would come about had things like power armor, sorcery (power called from the outside) and highly trained Martial Artist (with maximum characteristics). I will actually be using this world on Sunday on a multi-dimensional trip the characters are on. (I took over for 6 weeks to let the GM recharge his batteries).

The main campaign city was to be Salem Massachusetts replacing Boston in this world (think of Salem becoming the main city and Boston remaining a small town). I think at the time I was going to call the campaign Salem Nights. Anyway on Sunday it will be San Fransisco instead as I wanted something west coast.