What if...

quozaxx

Recently a question was asked at: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/39942-Favorite-Marvel-What-If?highlight=favorite about what was our favorite "What If" story was.

I pulled out and read some of those comics. I realized that not only had a lot of questions not been asked, but also that this was primarily a Marvel publication. So, I was wondering what alternate reality would you have liked to have seen (and not necessarily a Marvel publication)

For example: I would like to have read

What if Kryptonite did not follow Superman to Earth?

What if Lex Luthor and Superman were friends?

and

What if Barry Allen (aka Flash) had not died during Crisis?

What alternate story would you have like to have seen or read?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What if...

That was one aspect of early 'Smallville' that I especially liked. Haven't seen the later seasons, so I don't know what happens to this trend - I'm guessing the inevitable is happening.

There was a real sense that Lex was right on the cusp of good and evil, that he could be one heck of a good guy (sicko family notwithstanding, and with help from CK) if things turned out just a little different.

Bruce Banner is exposed to gamma radiation. Thereafter whenever he feels helpless, he undergoes a dramatic transformation into the Savant. His logical, rational mind takes over -- pushing aside his emotional, compassionate mind. His intellect is vastly increased and when faced with a problem his intellect is no match for, he grows ever more intelligent until he makes a breakthrough. As the Savant, Banner sometimes thinks of radical solutions to problems facing humanity -- solutions that might include mass murder, sabotage, mind control, and worse. The Savant is aware that he will eventually become Banner again and that Banner will prevent him from enacting some of his solutions. Therefore, the Savant gives his plans to others. To those called "supervillains". Banner must constantly try to figure out what scheme the Savant has cooked up, who he has given it to, and how it might be averted.

What if Bruce Wayne was a member of the Green Lantern Corps?

What if Batman became the Joker?

I think the first one has been done. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_In_Darkest_Knight

Batman becomes a green lantern. Surprisingly so do Wonder Woman, Clark Kent and Barry Allen.

I think there have been many Elseworlds which have done the second one but I can only think of one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Two_Faces

I;m sure more people can think of examples of the second.

My favorite question that was never asked.. What if Taskmaster was a hero ? With very little help Taskmaster could have replaced the dead Captain America . He is the coolest char, but never has the ambition to put himself at risk or stand up for a cause. He could be the perfect example of how much a "normal" could archive in a world of supers.

Taskmaster isn't normal though. He has super powers, the ability to replicate any physical activity that is humanly (not super humanly) possible.

The Punisher is also a fine example of what a normal could do in a super human world (before they turned him into Frankenstein) as could Iron Fist and Shang-Chi. They don't have powers but advanced training.

Although I admit Taskmaster is one of the coolest supers I know, and next to Deadpool the villain I am most likely to root for in any encounter.

What if Joe Quesada had never taken over as editor in chief for Marvel?

or

What if Marvel still had stories worth reading?

What if The Punisher and Wolverine had never gotten their own titles, and the Iron age never happened?

What if no one had ever thought of variant covers?

What if the first cut for picking the director of a movie based on a comic book character wasn't eliminating everyone who didn't proudly announcing that they had never read a comic book?

What if the companies were run by people who actually like the characters? Or at least didn't hold their customers in contempt?

What if The Punisher and Wolverine had never gotten their own titles, and the Iron age never happened?

What if no one had ever thought of variant covers?

What if the first cut for picking the director of a movie based on a comic book character wasn't eliminating everyone who didn't proudly announcing that they had never read a comic book?

What if the companies were run by people who actually like the characters? Or at least didn't hold their customers in contempt?

Oh my friend. . . that's too much to hope for. :(

There are several that deal with Bats but lets add one more: What If Bruce Wayne's parents had lived?

Here are some more:

. . . the Tick had never lived?

. . . the Beyonder never existed?

. . . the Avenger's went evil?

. . . the answer to life, the universe and everything was 7?

. . . Suron had killed Gandolf?