Common 6E House Rules

Thanee

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Common 6E House Rules

repped.

Yeah, if I ever do pick up 6th Ed (and that's a big if), the first order of business for me will be to reinstall the Comeliness Characteristic and toss the GURPSish Striking Appearance Talent into rubbish bin where it belongs. Have I mentioned I love that Based On COM article of yours? ;)

I agree that the article is excellent, and since it's been mention but not linked to (at top post):

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/66104-A-fistful-of-Comeliness-rules

I can see use for this either with COM, Striking Appearance, or both, in 5ER and 6E.

Which is the big reason that I find the notion of dogpiling the villain after they've been KO'ed to be unnecessary.

How mecessary it is depends on game style. If the villains continuously fall, get up and atack, then fall again, dogpiling becomes more likely to be seen as the only way to actually end the combat. If villlains tend to fall and stay down (they're often at -21 or worse because of that last hit after being at -1 to -10; they don't get recoveries), or if they tend to flee or surrender and go peacefully after recovering from being KO'd (and maybe they actually throw in the towel when it becomes clear they won't win, rather than fight until beaten into a coma), dogpiling is lesslikely to be perceived as a desirable tactic - better to use that attack on the guy(s) still fighting back.

We should at least have the ability to have a PRE based Power Skill to be aided by Striking Appearance

We do have that. Nothing in the book says that a Power skill can't be based on PRE, and as doing that would make it an Interaction skill by default it would benefit from any applicable Striking Appearance bonuses. +1/level, I believe. ;)

House Rule: Players may use any and all of the alternative Push mechanics in 6e2 separately or simultaneously at the additional cost of 1 HAP per type used.

Ooh, forgot to mention that I use this rule for appropriate superheroic campaigns - I don't plan to use it for most heroic campaigns.

This is to simulate, say, the Hulk temporarily holding up a mountain during Secret Wars.

Another one under consideration:

When making an attack that takes an extra segment to go off, like a Haymaker or some power with the appropriate Extra Time limitation, you choose your target only at the time when the attack actually does in fact go off, not in advance. This should serve to close the odd "if your target so much as twitches, you auto-miss" loophole that for some reason seems to plague these attacks exclusively while leaving those with even longer startup times curiously alone. The Limitation value itself remains the same.

Here's one: for superhero campaigns' date=' all mundane real world weapons will have the "Real weapon" limitation, and all weapons with the "real weapon" limitations will do only half damage after defenses to supers.[/quote']

But not all supers have a bulletproof schtick... why not build chracters who are supposed to be bulletproff a wee bit tougher? It wouldn't be difficult to buy 6d6 Damage Negation v real weapons for instance.

Not saying your way is wrong, I just don't understand it. Can you explain you you hamstring guns instaed of making tough guys tougher?

Here's one: for superhero campaigns' date=' all mundane real world weapons will have the "Real weapon" limitation, and all weapons with the "real weapon" limitations will do only half damage after defenses to supers.[/quote']

But not all supers have a bulletproof schtick... why not build chracters who are supposed to be bulletproff a wee bit tougher? It wouldn't be difficult to buy 6d6 Damage Negation v real weapons for instance.

Not saying your way is wrong, I just don't understand it. Can you explain you you hamstring guns instaed of making tough guys tougher?

Note that megaplayboy's house rule halves damage after defenses. It isn't making supers bulletproof (as Damage Negation might). It's just making it so that real-world weapons aren't the most effective way to bring down supers...

Another one under consideration:

When making an attack that takes an extra segment to go off, like a Haymaker or some power with the appropriate Extra Time limitation, you choose your target only at the time when the attack actually does in fact go off, not in advance. This should serve to close the odd "if your target so much as twitches, you auto-miss" loophole that for some reason seems to plague these attacks exclusively while leaving those with even longer startup times curiously alone. The Limitation value itself remains the same.

Of note, it requires quite a bit more than twitching for the attack to have no chance to hit. The target has to move at least 1 meter.

Of note' date=' it requires quite a bit more than twitching for the attack to have no chance to hit. The target has to move at least 1 meter.[/quote']

Which, assuming the target gets the chance to move at all (even if it's just via aborting to Dive for Cover) and given the standard movement rates of even basic humans, pretty much amounts to 'twitch'. ;)

Yeah' date=' but diving for cover usually means they end up Prone and they had to abort their next action. That's also assuming they know the attack is coming.[/quote']

All true, but it's still a limitation. With a normal or full phase attack, you hit right away and your target only gets to abort to a defensive action if they didn't already act during the current segment (6E2 22, first paragraph after the examples). With an extra segment, well, it's a new segment, so their chance to abort resets. Worse, your target might get a phase between you starting to wind up for your attack and you actually launching it and spoil your game plan with their regularly scheduled action(s) -- even without the auto-miss rule, a melee haymaker isn't going to do much good against somebody who just walked out of range.

As for knowing the attack is coming...I'll have to consider that some more, but in general I'd kind of consider that a given if the intended attack is in any way, shape, or form Obvious. Which is to say, in most cases.

All true, but it's still a limitation. With a normal or full phase attack, you hit right away and your target only gets to abort to a defensive action if they didn't already act during the current segment (6E2 22, first paragraph after the examples). With an extra segment, well, it's a new segment, so their chance to abort resets. Worse, your target might get a phase between you starting to wind up for your attack and you actually launching it and spoil your game plan with their regularly scheduled action(s) -- even without the auto-miss rule, a melee haymaker isn't going to do much good against somebody who just walked out of range.

As for knowing the attack is coming...I'll have to consider that some more, but in general I'd kind of consider that a given if the intended attack is in any way, shape, or form Obvious. Which is to say, in most cases.

About the only time Haymakers get used in our games is against inanimate objects. Or if the target is imobilized insome way.

Which' date=' assuming the target gets the chance to move at all (even if it's just via aborting to Dive for Cover) and given the standard movement rates of even basic humans, pretty much amounts to 'twitch'. ;)[/quote']

You and I define "twitch" differently.

Yes, if the target of a Haymaker has a chance to move away from the attack, the attack is wasted. This isn't a bug, it is done intentionally as part of the tradeoff of doing a Haymaker. It isn't just part of attacks that take extra time, it is specifically a drawback of performing a Haymaker.

One house rule that I've seen used fairly successfully' date=' and that I might adopt in my next Hero game, is to allow a half-move either before or after an attack action. Move and hit, or hit and move, or move and move (full move). But not hit and hit. ;)[/quote']

Well, you don't have to rule "hit and hit" in with house rules. If you didn't want it you'd have to use a house rule to get rid of it. ;)

You and I define "twitch" differently.

Yes, if the target of a Haymaker has a chance to move away from the attack, the attack is wasted. This isn't a bug, it is done intentionally as part of the tradeoff of doing a Haymaker. It isn't just part of attacks that take extra time, it is specifically a drawback of performing a Haymaker.

A Haymaker AND any attack with Extra Time: Extra Segment. I've never been overly fond of that rule myself, but still use it mostly intact. In my version, the target doesn't simply have to move 1 hex/meter/whatever; they have to move out of range of (or behind cover from) the attack, or move in some other manner that significantly changes the circumstances of the attack. For some in between cases (e.g. moving to the other side of a HTH attacker but still within weapon reach), I might add an OCV penalty but still allow the attack roll.

A Haymaker AND any attack with Extra Time: Extra Segment. I've never been overly fond of that rule myself' date=' but still use it mostly intact. In my version, the target doesn't simply have to move 1 hex/meter/whatever; they have to move out of range of (or behind cover from) the attack, or move in some other manner that significantly changes the circumstances of the attack. For some in between cases (e.g. moving to the other side of a HTH attacker but still within weapon reach), I might add an OCV penalty but still allow the attack roll.[/quote']

I stand corrected. Haymaker and all other attacks that require an extra Segment. :)

I can understand your reasons for your changes, though I'll say that I can understand why the official ruling would be as it stands. And in general agree with it. :)