Science Fiction League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

shadowcat1313

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Science Fiction League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

In the "Batman vs. Judge Dredd" comic' date=' Dredd busts Batman for breaking up a mugging... "Vigilantism is against the law, Perp!"[/quote']

Stopping a crime in progress is NOT being a vigilante. But then the formerly great country of Britain has lost its mind.

The Leader of Alpha Company (The White Mice, Hammer's security detail) was Major Joachim Stueban, crack pistol shot, fruitcake, sociopath... a good guy to have on your side.

Note that Special Undersecretary Jaime Retief of the Corps Diplomatique Terrestiene comes from the same universe that the Bolos do, and once used a Mk. XXIII to solve a diffucult diplomatic impasse.

(Mk. XXIII Bolo's main armament is measured in MPS. That's Megatonnage per second. Very few problems cannot be solved by dropping a Mk. XXIII Bolo on them)

According to The_Hammers_Slammers_Handbook it's actually Major Joachim Steuben, and it's pretty clear that he was given a choice of death or reassignment to an Advance Force. The character in The Sharp End knew too much about Joachim to not be him. Steuben would need to either have a charismatic leader to attach himself to or for the assignment to be temporary and given to him by Hammer himself. So a Roj Blake, Dillan Hunt or someone like that could control him, but probably not someone like a Mal Reynolds.

As for Jaime Retief's use of the Bolo, that was more of a repurposing misused material than actually ordering the deployment of it. I won't say more, but it's a cool story should be in the Retief Anthology "Retief!" which is available for free in Baen Book's Free library in HTML and just about any other electronic Reading format you can think of.

Stopping a crime in progress is NOT being a vigilante. But then the formerly great country of Britain has lost its mind.

I read a news item here about a police officer being charged with assault against the man who attacked him with a club...

The policeman was left in legal limbo for 13 months; when his case came to court, it was thrown out in @ 5 minutes.

The man who attacked him has a documented history of violent behaviour. Guess which one isn't going to worry about the long-term effect on his career & peace of mind...

Hmm, normally this would be a universe ending kind of threat that requires an unusual group of individuals to save the day.

So, one would need a Leader, Strongperson, , Scientist, Rebel, Famous Transportation, Thief, Engineer

This seems to fit just about any ensemble cast Sci Fi Show out there. It's just how teams are made. LXG seems be a collection of individuals that could be superheroes within the pulp genre brought together to create a kind of Avengers of the Pulp Era. So is it possible to find characters who fit the same way

Leader: Dylan Hunt (Andromeda)as the last of the Paradine he seems to be pretty much un-killable. He also has a deep sense of duty help people and would come on board to do just that

Thief: Vila Restal (Blake's 7)he's cowardly, but seems to come through when expected. As a thief there's no door he cannot unlock, and nothing he can't hide from.

Engineer: Montgomery Scott (ST TOS,TMP 1-6): He's the best engineer in all of Sci Fi hands down. in ST they should have statues to this guy, he's so good.

Gunslinger: Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly/Serenity). it was a real tossup between him and Kerr Avon, but Mal is more of a heroic type than Avon. Also Mal can take orders esp if it from someone he respects.

Pilot: Tom Paris (ST- Voyager): He's very well qualified to fly LARGE starships and do amazing things with them. Beka Valentine was a close second though esp given the Starship

Starship: Andromeda Ascendant (Andromeda): She's a large cruiser that can be handled by an amazingly small crew thanks to the AI of the same name.

Doctor/Scientist: Dr Stephen Franklin (Babylon 5): His knowledge of zeno-medicine is unparalleled in Sci Fi. This would have to assume that he helped to finally cure the Drakh plague. Dr Leonard "Bones" McCoy would be a great second choice.

Strongperson: Rommie (Andromeda): she's already part of the ship(kind of), so it feels kind of obvious to include her. While her powerpack is charged she has superhuman strength, is nearly bulletproof and is faster than most humans. An alternate would be Lore (ST TNG, aka Data's brother). He's a bit Psycho, but if the proper leverage could be given he could give all that rommie does and also be the Team Rebel and provide some plot complications as well.

As for Jaime Retief's use of the Bolo' date=' that was more of a repurposing misused material than actually ordering the deployment of it. I won't say more, but it's a cool story should be in the Retief Anthology "Retief!" which is available for free in Baen Book's Free library in HTML and just about any other electronic Reading format you can think of.[/quote']

There are at least two Retief stories involving Bolos. I'd say more, but don't want to spoil either one.

(And why do I keep thinking that there is another?)

my favorite Bolo story is from book 4 and was written by William H Keith. the story was called "Brothers" about 2 bolos stationed on the same planet that became like brothers, and one going berserk after the death of the other, the story was written after the sudden death of his brother after a heart attack IIRC

That was a top notch Story ......Bolo, Berserkers, Troll's (David Weber's), Ogre's, et all .......All great Sci Fi material.

~Rex....no ones put together the "Android/Robot League yet......

Nah you could skip Data.....you need 6 members roughly....One chick......Should be easy to skip Data....Besides. At least TWO of the members should be of Criminal intent, and while I never liked Data much, I DID, like Lore a lot.......

~Rex

Data probably wouldn't fit well into an Android/Robot League the way I see it, anyway. The character's main purpose is to be one of the 'token outsiders' among the mostly human crew of the USS Enterprise and provide a contrasting alien viewpoint every so often; put him into a group of other mechanical lifeforms and you lose much of that, and once you look past his...well, Pinocchio complex, I guess, he's actually somewhat bland as android characters go. Give me poor old confused C-3PO as a prospective member over Data anytime, your all-machine team is going to need somebody who can handle contact with the various organics they encounter in any event. :)

Hmm - a Mark 13 would be good for killing stuff too - virtually unstoppable. Although I wouldn't go past magical robots either - the Golden Army in particular.

For the ship itself - what about Hal? Zen was okay but Slave irritated me.

I'm actually going to present the All Artificial Life Form League of Extraordinary Gentlemen to the folks going to C2E2 with me this weekend.....should be an interesting mix. Format to be followed will be of course the GN format. 6 members, 6 different venues of origin, 1 "female", shooter, mover, brick, criminal, and 1 something different......will post it after the weekend.

~Rex