• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Science Fiction League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

No Starship Captains?

James T. Kirk.

Honor Harrington

Colin MacIntyre

Ivan Anatov

Any more than one of them in group would lead to an ego-fueled implosion.

My Crew:

Han Solo

Ellen Ripley (the non-cloned version)

Spock

A reprogrammed T-1000 (Arnuld!!)

Seven of Nine

Yeah, I doubled down on the cyborgs. So what.

I chose mine (above) based on these criteria: each person has a special ability that might interest someone for study and copying, and also has some dark aspect of his or her background that might make him or her an inobvious choice for a group of "heroes."

G'kar (in the first two seasons) and Lennier(in the last season) have some dark aspects. As for their special abilities, think of Lennier's martial arts and Ranger training, as well as G'kar's oratory ability.

oooh, I wanna play!

Need a pilot. The first names to come to mind are Han Solo (of course) and Wash (from Firefly). Who else could we consider? Starbuck....either version would work for me. Think I'll go with Starbuck, female version.

Next, I need muscle. LOTS of muscle. First name that comes to mind is Friday from the Robert A. Heinlein novel of the same name. Strong, fast and smart. Pretty much in the same vein is River Tam from Firefly. Seven-of-Nine could work for the muscle, but I never did like Voyager very much. Speaking of Trek, should we consider Worf? Also Linnier from Bab5 would work wonderfully...very strong and an expert martial artist ta-boot. Hmmm...hmm, lots to consider. Think I'll go with River Tam. She's cute-ish and looks completely harmless which will throw the badguys off their game when facing up against her.

Now we need a gunslinger. Lots of those in Science Fiction. Jayne from firefly pops in my head first...Jayne and Vera! I seem to remember Apollo from the original BSG being quite handy with a Blaster pistol. I think I'm going to have to go with the most badass Sci-fi gunslinger of all time.....Boba Fett.

Now I need some brains. Someone who can calculate with the best of them. Someone with all the answers on the tip of their tongue...a walking encyclopedia to help our motley crew through any impossible situation. My first thought is of course Data from TNG. Data is a good pick because he could also double as muscle. Who else could fit that bill? Spock of course...but thats two trek dudes mentioned for the same role! I think I would go with Data...he's tougher than Spock.

Now I need someone to lead this crew. Someone who can inspire his people when the chips are down. Someone with the ability to both negotiate when necessary or to beat the not out of their opponent when all else has failed. Maybe Captain Malcom Reynalds would fit those shoes. Kirk definitely has those chops, as does John Sheridan of Bab5. But when all is said and done I think Obi-wan Kenobi would be the best man for that job.

So my League of Extraordinary Sci-fi Gentleman includes:

Female Starbuck

River Tam

Boba Fett

Data

Obi-Wan

Now for extra heavy firepower I would keep someone in reserve. To pull out all the stops if necessary. For that I would use Kimball Kinneson from Lensman.

Now here's a question I have.

Exactly what has happened in the realm of the Sci-fi multiverse that would require the gathering of such a devastating crew to face it?

The problem with adding The Doctor (IMO) is that he's nearly omnipotent. He doesn't really need the others tagging along. Otherwise, he'd be great. We also get that from Paul Atreides, although he's confined to a single planet.

My picks:

Ender Wiggin : Leader, Ender's Game

Maya : Shapechanger, Space 1999

John Preston : Jedi Gunslinger, Equilibrum Thx Major Tom 2009

Kerr Avon : Brilliant, Blake's 7

Philip Lynx : Linquist/Xenologist, Humananx Commonwealth

Owen Deathstalker : Adventurer Deathstalker series

A "League" of popular SF characters may run into the problem of being only suitable for a one-shot scenario. If Jean-Luc Picard, Luke Skywalker, Captain Future, and Kai Allard-Liao "just happened" to suddenly all run into each other in a bar on Babylon 5, it's a pretty safe bet that the first thing on all their minds would be finding out how they got there and discovering a way back home to their respective native realities -- and that once they found one, they'd use it ASAP. You could declare that, well, tough luck, they're stuck in the B5 universe for keeps now -- but forcibly separating them from their canon backgrounds could easily rob them of much of their appeal.

One way around that might be to introduce a way in which they can keep in touch and visit each other after their first big common adventure. Easy travel between different realities isn't much part of many SF settings (okay, Star Trek comes close), but allowing for it in a limited way -- as in, mostly just Our Heroes and maybe some helpers -- may be the most painless way to keep such a League operating. Trying to mash their different universes together so they all end up somehow coexisting in the same setting after all might also work, but woud involve a lot more work figuring out all the side effects. Just for starters, which version of Earth are you going to use?

So would the guy from Farscape work in this one (Crichton? My memory is fuzzy on this one for some reason)

A SG character might be good too. Col. O'neil if we dont have a star trek cpt. as leader.

A "League" of popular SF characters may run into the problem of being only suitable for a one-shot scenario. If Jean-Luc Picard' date=' Luke Skywalker, Captain Future, and Kai Allard-Liao "just happened" to suddenly all run into each other in a bar on Babylon 5, it's a pretty safe bet that the first thing on all their minds would be finding out how they got there and discovering a way back home to their respective native realities -- and that once they found one, they'd use it ASAP. You [i']could[/i] declare that, well, tough luck, they're stuck in the B5 universe for keeps now -- but forcibly separating them from their canon backgrounds could easily rob them of much of their appeal.

One way around that might be to introduce a way in which they can keep in touch and visit each other after their first big common adventure. Easy travel between different realities isn't much part of many SF settings (okay, Star Trek comes close), but allowing for it in a limited way -- as in, mostly just Our Heroes and maybe some helpers -- may be the most painless way to keep such a League operating. Trying to mash their different universes together so they all end up somehow coexisting in the same setting after all might also work, but woud involve a lot more work figuring out all the side effects. Just for starters, which version of Earth are you going to use?

We will use all of them! I would imagine that the necessity of gathering these heroes together would be for the purpose of opposing some evil that threatens not only our universe, but all universes. I would imagine that the main antagonist would probably also be gathering potent badguys to its cause as well. The main badguy might snatch Darth Maul, Feyd-Rautha, Bester, Khan Noonien Singh and Derek Sagan to lead the forces of darkness with promises that their ill-fated defeats and untimely demises would be averted if they aid the main villain in its cause, not knowing that its success will ultimately lead to the destruction of all their universes. An interesting twist could come when the badguys learn of their benefactors deceit and the possibility that they will join with the protagonists to oppose the ultimate evil....

My picks:

Ender Wiggin : Leader, Ender's Game

Maya : Shapechanger, Space 1999

John Preston : Muscle, Equilibrum

Kerr Avon : Brilliant, Blake's 7

Philip Lynx : Linquist/Xenologist, Humananx Commonwealth

Owen Deathstalker : Adventurer Deathstalker series

John Preston isn't so much muscle as he is, basically, a Jedi Gunslinger. Anyone who can take out a

couple of dozen autorifle-armed goons while armed only with a pair of pistols quailifies for member-

ship in the LXG.

Major Tom 2009 :bmk: