Science Fiction League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

shadowcat1313

Re: Science Fiction League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

The problem with adding The Doctor (IMO) is that he's nearly omnipotent. He doesn't really need the others tagging along. Otherwise' date=' he'd be great. We also get that from Paul Atreides, although he's confined to a single planet.[/quote']

I disagree. While you have roles of Pilot, Brains, Muscle, etc... and people are choosing who they would have fill those roles to make a good team, what the Doctor does, is use IAF for his. "Heroes of Opportunity" is one of his main powers. He goes into a situation, turns people into heroes, and with their help saves the day.

He's not omnipotent - heck he's vulnerable to any weapon of any kind that would hurt a human. He's close to omniscient, but when he fails to know stuff (often through arrogance) there's really big problems (usually deaths of innocents).

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of my favorites, brain, gunslinger and pilot, though he had a specialized pilot working for him

heck his team was pretty awesome

"Storm" Cloud, the Vortex Blaster. EE Doc Smith

lensmen imo were boring. he was not.

If we go by the Farscape/Blake's 7 model-

Pilot, Brains, Muscle, Thief, Negotiator

Pilot and Aeryn/Jenna, John and Sikozu/Avon, D'Argo and Aeryn/Gan, Chiana/Vila, Rygel/Cally (or Orac perhaps).

Other useful skills would be local knowledge (Crais/Orac), underworld contacts (Blake/Sikozu), moderator/healer (Zahn, Noranti)

With this talk of needing a pilot with the team' date=' I'll add Beka Valentine (from [i']Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda[/i]) to my team.

Doh! I forgot about Andromeda.

While there isn't anyone I would consider putting on my team aside from Romie (she would replace Data) or Seamus Harper as my techie (it would be between him or Scottie for engineer), Tyr could work for muscle, though I don't think he would match with the likes of River Tam. What I would take from Andromeda is that ship...its gorgeous. Thats the ship I want my League to travel in!

Let's go Old School!

Leader: Kimball Kinnison (Lensman)

Scientist: Dick Seaton (Skylark of Space)

Face: Henri Seldon (Psychohistorian, Foundation series)

Warrior: Anthony "Buck" Rodgers

Pilot: James Bigglesworth

Let's see what I can do with sci-fi anime and manga. Hmm.

Leader: Princess Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Pilot: Max Sterling (Robotech)

Warrior: Aisha Clan-Clan (Outlaw Star)

Scientist/Engineer: Skuld (Ah! My Goddess), or that doesn't count, Mr. Uribitake (Martian Successor Nadesico)

Face: Roger Smith (The Big O) If he can bring the Big O with him, bonus!

If you wanna go with sci-fi anime and manga, I would just take a crew from The Five Star Stories and be done with it. F.U. Rognar, Douglas Kaien, Maximum Kaien, Aisha Codante and Ikaruga would probably be able to handle anything that any other sci-fi universe could throw at them. But to be fair, lets not use all FSS characters, thats just overkill. Here's my official list of League of Anime Gentlemen;

Pilot: Roy Fokker (Macross)

Muscle: Iczer-1 (Fight! Iczer-1)

Scientist: B-ko (Project A-ko)

Face: February (Sol Bianca)

Leader: F.U. Rognar (The Five Star Stories)

B-ko can pretty much make anything mechanical so she is an essential inclusion. Feb from Sol Bianca is a great negotiator. And if she can bring the Sol Bianca with her that would be great as that is the ship I would choose to shuttle my heroes around in. As a pilot, its a tough choice between Max Genius and Roy Fokker, but I favor Fokker just a bit more. For muscle, I can't think of anyone better than Iczer-1. Power beyond imagining there. Only two others came to mind and thats Ryoko from Tenchi and Ifurita from El Hazard. For sheer power (and coolness factor) Iczer-1 trumps them both, so I chose her. F.U. Rognar is quite simply the baddest mo-fo in the universe. No one comes close to this guy. His power makes Iczer-1 look like a girlscout.

Hmmmm...So the Original League was made of:

Alan Quartermain, The Invisible Man (Hawley Griffen), Henry Jekyl/Edward Hyde, Captain Nemo, Mina Murray, and Orlando (here and there). The Movie of course makes Mina a Vampire, swaps Orlando for Dorian Gray, and toss in Tom Sawyer as well for some reason, pretending to be Jim West, heh.....

SO. That all in mind, I will take the core them, and go Sci Fi with it. The Core theme of course precludes TV and Other Movies and such for the most part and sorry to the anime fans as well but if you want to do LoEG, you should do LoEG, and follow the same format.

Which leaves me (in order to match the numbers especially)....

Buck Rogers

Flash Gordon

John Carter

Clarissa MacDougall

Frankenstein's Monster

The Doctor

Pretty much covers the format and the formula.

~Rex

Heh, if you really know Pulp though, it's far far far from limiting. Tricky to find a lot of the female characters though but there were more then a few, if you knew where to look.

~Rex

Why?

Ro Laren & Lt. Hawk. Both pilots. Both sat next to Data.

Ro betrays Picard, the Federation and Starfleet to go play freedom fighter on a backwater colony.

Hawk gets assimilated by the Borg, tries to kill Picard, and gets shot to death by Worf.

And there was the poor guy sitting next to Data in Nemesis. Explosive decompression and he was blown into space before the force fields sealed off the breach.

Don't sit next to the 24th-century Pinnochio. Not if you want to see the end of the week. :ugly:

And yet Wesley Crusher survived.

Just another reason a lot of people reportedly hated the character, I'm sure. :)

That said, he could certainly be considered 'extraordinary' in his own way. I don't suppose...?

Naaah. :whistle:

Just another reason a lot of people reportedly hated the character, I'm sure. :)

That said, he could certainly be considered 'extraordinary' in his own way. I don't suppose...?

Wesley had the Golden Fiat Card of Executive Producer Immunity to Bad Stuff on his side.

Even when he got a bayonet in the back, Q restored him to life. :ugly:

Not sure what was the plan re. Wesley, but he certainly didn't go down well with a lot of people. Me included. Maybe it was the whole 'wonder child' shtick... :idjit:

Ro Laren & Lt. Hawk. Both pilots. Both sat next to Data.

Ro betrays Picard, the Federation and Starfleet to go play freedom fighter on a backwater colony.

Hawk gets assimilated by the Borg, tries to kill Picard, and gets shot to death by Worf.

And there was the poor guy sitting next to Data in Nemesis. Explosive decompression and he was blown into space before the force fields sealed off the breach.

Don't sit next to the 24th-century Pinnochio. Not if you want to see the end of the week. :ugly:

Meanwhile, Geordi LaForge spent the whole first season sitting next to him and not only survived, got promoted. Go figure.

here's a potential sfloeg member,kyle radnor the last legionary

the sole survivor of the legions of moros kyle was given an artificial skeleton[predatingwolverine] and armed with the legions hand to hand training he pursued the organization that commited the genocide of moros ,the darkwing

With this talk of needing a pilot with the team' date=' I'll add Beka Valentine (from [i']Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda[/i]) to my team.

Most of that team are really good at what they do. They do have problems though-

Beka Valentine: Great pilot, but addictive, independant, abrasive personality, prone to obsession.

Harper: Great scientist, but obsessive, joker, hedonist that's physically unhealthy compared to modern standards.

Dylan Hunt: Great leader and strategist, but very by-the-book with political goals similar to Blake in Blake's y (ie liable to get those around you killed).

Rev Bem: Psychological support for the group and good muscle, but a blood thirsty predator hated by the entire universe. Also likely to go overboard on goals to compensate - leading to the death of those around them.

Tyr Anasasi: The physical version of Kerr Avon. Great strategist and muscle, but very selfish and sociopathic.

Andromeda: Too emotional. She just can't handle having an android avatar it seems, and tends to react like a teenager to things at times.

Trance Gemini: Unpredictable because she has her own ineffable goals.

The other android and Nietzchean aren't worth talking about as I didn't find them particularly memorable as characters.

if we talk small craft pilots:

Scotty Tremaine from the Honorverse

Wedge Antilies from Star Wars

Starbuck and Apollo from Battlestar Galactica

the Star Fury squadron commmander from B5, who first saw the shadow vessel, Warren?

now lets talk about fighter craft:

Star Fury

X-Wing

Viper

none of the 3 above are really atmospheric capable... the old Cylon Raider would be