Beating Dr. Destroyer...how do (or did) you do it?

megaplayboy

Re: Beating Dr. Destroyer...how do (or did) you do it?

No, I ment naked. And I was referring to the player, not the character.

See, we were all doing shots of Jager. And Tanya, well, she's a real frendly type with a bit of a wild side. She just loves to be the center of attention.

Oh... Wait... Now that I think of it that was a dream I had. I did mean "ganked" aka "killed."

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be it. Apparently my reading comprehension drops when I’m working 12 hour shifts... We really need a :facepalm: smiley...

Like this? :D

facepalm.gif

Od "If your palm is bigger than your face..." raude

I think I see the confusion. The "gaked" in the original post is' date=' as I read it, a typo for "ganked"...not, as you seem to think, for "naked". Different things altogether. ;)[/quote']

Funny I always though of being Ganked as having some overpowered jerkwad kill your character outright and in such a way that you can't do anything about it. I will admit that is what it means in a MMO that includes PvP. Never heard of Ganked = Naked.

I remember two ways that my group has beaten the good doctor. The first, with me GMing, was where a speedster stole the idea from the DC Infinity Crisis. Basically he grabbed Destroyer and used his extra-dimensional movement to "run" them both into the speed force. Destroyer lacks extra-dimensional without his VVP so I had to leave him there.

The second time was when one of my character, a gadgeteer with a nanite colony, infected his armor's computer system and basically stopped recycling his air until he passed out. Only reason that plan worked was because the GM ruled that the mental defense on Destroyer's helmet was defense for him and not his computer. Unfortunately, Destroyer always has mental defense for his computer now but hey at least it worked once.

Ya know, I think the citizens of Detroit had the right idea. Nuclear weapons are the only answer to the overpoweredness that is Doctor Destroyer. The nuke obviously hurt him enough that he was absent from world affairs for like a decade. Perhaps losing Detroit was worth it. (This assumes an alternative explanation to the destruction of Detroit, aka Millennium City. One in which the heroes/authorities set off the bomb in order to get Dr D for good) :D

Fun to think about

Tasha :eg:

well, you might also be able to beat him if your team brings along a platoon of the absurbly overpowered 30 DEF M1 Abrams tanks from the Hero System Vehicle Sourcebook...but don't bring an Iowa-class battleship, because with a 10 defense, Dr. D. can sink one in two shots.

Sigh. I'm tempted to start a "When Steve Long gets it wrong" bad official writeups thread, but I don't want to risk a ban.

well, you might also be able to beat him if your team brings along a platoon of the absurbly overpowered 30 DEF M1 Abrams tanks from the Hero System Vehicle Sourcebook...but don't bring an Iowa-class battleship, because with a 10 defense, Dr. D. can sink one in two shots.

Sigh. I'm tempted to start a "When Steve Long gets it wrong" bad official write-ups thread, but I don't want to risk a ban.

Most of his writeups have been slight redos of classic write-ups. Most of the original write-ups are the fault of the original author(s). I know that he sometimes does new write-ups of items, but those tend to be based on other write-ups (ie basing a new gun on the stats of older guns that are similar). He's always been kind of stuck when it comes to writing up stuff. If he changes stuff too much all of us will get annoyed and stop buying the stuff he offers.

Though, I do have to admit that a 10def seems more than a bit light for an Iowa Class Battleship. Though I'll bet that Dr D wouldn't like being on the receiving end of a barrage of shells fired from one.

That brings up another thought about this. At what point do the Superheroes stand aside for the military weapons. In Champions some of the big stuff like Tank rounds and shells from artillery are much better than the average DC12 Player Character can dish out. Hell is the real answer to defeating worldbeaters like Dr D going to take Huge weapons of the military. Is there a point where the government might think about dropping a tactical nuke on a Super Villain? How about a flight of Predator Drones armed with 40mm Chain Guns (or A-10 Warthogs). How about using those big cargo lifters that have those tankguns (I forget what their designation is)?

Only reason that plan worked was because the GM ruled that the mental defense on Destroyer's helmet was defense for him and not his computer.

I once asked a GM what the hardened Def of a copper conductor was? He said "None." We happened to be in the lair of a SkyNet-type super computer that had become self aware and was bent on taking over the world.

I showed him just how little a 1/2D6 Penatrating Megascale AOERKA Only Effects Copper actually cost.

That was when he stopped letting me play a character with a VPP.

I would not let the "Only Affects Copper" limitation

I'd agree. If you can change your powers more or less at will, which a VPP does let you do unless it's one of those types that take a long time to switch around, then "only works under certain conditions/against a given class of targets" type Limitations aren't really Limitations. (Heck, depending on the situation they could be considered Advantages, though I probably wouldn't bother trying to work out values and then charging extra for those either. :))

I once asked a GM what the hardened Def of a copper conductor was? He said "None." We happened to be in the lair of a SkyNet-type super computer that had become self aware and was bent on taking over the world.

I showed him just how little a 1/2D6 Penatrating Megascale AOERKA Only Effects Copper actually cost.

That was when he stopped letting me play a character with a VPP.

Without full-bore Indirect, that doesn't get through the insulation or the casing.

An Indirect Megascale AOERKA? Penatrating? Can we make it NND & Based on EVC too? LOL!

Aside from I wouldn't let you make a Power that Only Affects Copper also, if I did allow it your attack is only going to affect exposed copper. It won't get past anything that acts as a Force Wall, including Cover, insulation and casing.

You're trying to make a bullet that Only Affects Flesh and reasoning that it bypasses all non-flesh armor, walls and obstacles. Not without Indirect, even if it is Area Effect.

Aside from I wouldn't let you make a Power that Only Affects Copper also, if I did allow it your attack is only going to affect exposed copper. It won't get past anything that acts as a Force Wall, including Cover, insulation and casing.

You're trying to make a bullet that Only Affects Flesh and reasoning that it bypasses all non-flesh armor, walls and obstacles. Not without Indirect, even if it is Area Effect.

In fact, possibly not even with Indirect. Usually, Indirect lets you project the source point of a power at some distance and/or allows you to let the power's path diverge from the default straight line...but what it doesn't normally do is allow you to have more than one source point per use of the power, and as a paragraph on 6E1 337 helpfully points out, once that point is set, even powers with Area Effect emanating from it interact with obstacles normally. Which means that an Indirect Mega-Area Blast you set off in a janitor's closet still won't expand past that closet unless it breaks down the walls and/or door first -- you can have the source point inside the closet or outside, but not both at once. (Unless, of course, there's some Adder or Advantage allowing that that I've simply missed. I'm up way too late once again. :rolleyes:)

Guys, I'm not saying I was right. Just that I got away with it.

Once.

Didn't you say he didn't allow you to run VPP characters anymore? And he made that decision based on a faulty/illegal application, yet that experience may have turned him off from the VPP mechanic in general. Seems like a poor trade off for getting away with it once.

Well, there's always:

Oh, God, the Stench!: NND vs air freshening (or air air, or water -- something Doc doesn't have).

That Doesn't Help at All!/Matter Eater Stench: NND does Body.

You can only play the same trick with taste or some equally rare sense.

I'm not sure if this would be affected with Doc's life support (He has complete. right?) -- but if that happens, you can just make the NND penetrating x2, x3, whatever.

Also, you can make it long-lasting...or God help us, Autofire.

Then there's this one:

Hi There Cthulhu!: Images: Images to Elder Gods, Megascale, Difficult to Dispel (several times, or what it takes to counter Doc's VPP) Persistent.

Doc may able to defeat Takofanes, but let's face it, he going to have a problem when say, Cthluhu, Dagon, etc. bother him om a regular basis.

Then there's this one:

Hi There Cthulhu!: Images: Images to Elder Gods, Megascale, Difficult to Dispel (several times, or what it takes to counter Doc's VPP) Persistent.

Doc may able to defeat Takofanes, but let's face it, he going to have a problem when say, Cthluhu, Dagon, etc. bother him om a regular basis.

But after he figures out it's fake the first time he'll just ignore it from then on. Or just hunt down the annoying person who keeps sending weird images into his base...

But after he figures out it's fake the first time he'll just ignore it from then on.

Hmmm...

So if you know a Cathulu-esque horror is coming or is nearby, then you could send a mental image of one to Doc D. He would see through it and "know" to ignore it in the future. Then when the real Cathulu shows up...

1. Is there a "mental image" power in 6E? In 5E there are Images, and there are Mental Illusions, and they are two very different things. You said Image the first time, not MI.

2. There is no Cthulu in Champions (though the KoE could work I guess), and even if there was your characters could not sick him on Dr. D, and the chance of him just happening to break into our dimension in the middle of Dr. D's secret hide out is so slim as to make your argument completely irrelevant.

3. I'm not even sure how an Image of Cthulu is supposed to "defeat" the good Doctor, he may flee, but an Image can't do damage, and if he attacks it and nothing happens than he's going to have pretty big bonus to his PER roll to discover it's a fake. And you would need a powerful Image to make an image of something so horrific it can barely even be described and have it look "real", i.e. not suffer negatives in the PER to see through department.

I'm not sure if this would be affected with Doc's life support (He has complete. right?) -- but if that happens, you can just make the NND penetrating x2, x3, whatever.

NND plus penetrating, not legal.

Originally Posted by palaskar

I'm not sure if this would be affected with Doc's life support (He has complete. right?) -- but if that happens, you can just make the NND 'm not I'm I'm not sure if this would be affected with Doc's life support (He has complete. right?) -- but if that happens, you can just make the NND penetrating x2, x3, whatever. penetrating x2, x3, whatever.

lemming wrote: NND plus penetrating, not legal.

I did not know that. :doi:

1. Is there a "mental image" power in 6E? In 5E there are Images, and there are Mental Illusions, and they are two very different things. You said Image the first time, not MI.

2. There is no Cthulu in Champions (though the KoE could work I guess), and even if there was your characters could not sick him on Dr. D, and the chance of him just happening to break into our dimension in the middle of Dr. D's secret hide out is so slim as to make your argument completely irrelevant.

3. I'm not even sure how an Image of Cthulu is supposed to "defeat" the good Doctor, he may flee, but an Image can't do damage, and if he attacks it and nothing happens than he's going to have pretty big bonus to his PER roll to discover it's a fake. And you would need a powerful Image to make an image of something so horrific it can barely even be described and have it look "real", i.e. not suffer negatives in the PER to see through department.

D'oh! I didn't think of these either. (though, to be fair, I'm using my Hero-fu from 5th ed.) Erase this method from the "defeating Dr. Destroyer thread." :doi: