Oil spill

quozaxx

The largest oil spill has just happened moments ago in the gulf of Mexico. WWYCD?

(This is headline news right now, so I was wondering what your character would do if this situation happened in his/her world. Note: Your character arrives about an hour after the spill begins)

Re: Oil spill

Patriot would tunnel 1000 feet down next to it , the preform a small detonation, crushing the pipe and collapsing tons and tones of rock on top of it sealing it. He can focus the blast so it doesn't do to much damage to the sea floor.

Chief Rising Storm probably couldn't do to much, But may be able to call on one of his much more powerful contacts to help. ( Time, the entity)

Black Banshee: Would cross his fingers in hopes that another team member could take care of it.(lower level gadgetteer with a sonic sword.

Quantum - Doesn't need to breathe and can handle the pressure on the floor of the ocean. He would go under to inspect the damage and size up the situation. Unfortunately, his AP particle beam would be of little use. He would throw a couple of entangles (5E character) to see if that would slow the leak until a better solution is found

Stone - Can handle the pressure, but has to breathe. Once he had some breathing gear and some light, he would head down to take a look. He could easily crush the pipe closed, but not sure if that would hold for very long.

Spectre - This would not concern too much, although he might go after those who he felt were responsible.

I only have one character who can breath underwater, Snark-E. He would gather the people responsible for this (BP executives) and they're "toys" (cars, planes, etc) then use them to plug the hole in the pipe. If they're REALLY nice about it, he'll give them scuba-gear beforehand and maybe use them last.

Aquatic - Let's see, half atlantean brick with engineering skills... oh HECK yes. I think we have a chance to cork this sucker :)

Dr. Photonic - Not his area of expertise, and lasers don't work well under water. He'd certainly try to help though.

Gaze- Unable to help much with the spill, he might instead focus on how much of a cover up there has been by what parties, gather evidence, and expose it.

Being that I'm the GM most of the time, my characters are generally the bad guys. Sooooo...

"Of course I can fix the oil spill! In fact, I don't just have a plan for how to do it, I have a Master Plan! Yes I, the great and powerful Foxbat, champion to all, rightful ruler of this precious planet we call Earth, all-around great looking guy, snazzy dresser, idol of millions... where was I? Oh, yeah! The oil spill! My Master Plan! Of course, I will need just a few things..." (unrolls sheet of paper about sixteen yards long) "Let's see... I'll need 20 pounds of Unobtainium... Defender's helmet... a nuclear submarine... two miles of copper wire... an E-Z-Bake oven... a sample of the sediment at the leak site... Jessica Biel's phone number... temporary use of the Hadron Supercollider... 30 gallons of high-grade jet fuel... a Hello-Kitty chainsaw..."

Volt. - His powers don't work under water. He'd help above ground as best he can, mainly providing transport and be a generator if needed. He could ignite the oil if they wanted.

Olorin - It'll take hours, but he could fix it. He could go under the water and, in effect, do a transform - non-working oil rig to working oil rig. Fixing the spilled oil would be out of his league (too big an area), but he'd try for a while.

Black Tiger - Literally all he could do is, maybe, find out why. He's good at investigation.

Leadman - Being a density increase brick, if they could provide air and protect from the pressure, he could fix it. Getting him down there would be easy. Go off the side. Getting him back up......

Futurian - "Get me one of your robots. Heck, get me about 2 tons of high strength steel. I'll fix it." With either, he could make his own robot that would, trust me, fix it the first time. The oil spill is organic and thus.. "The oil is your problem." That is unless someone mentioned a super vacuum machine. It'd take him longer and he would get at best about 90% of it but he could do that much. He'd have to be reminded though, once he fixed the well, he'd wander off.

Zero couldn't do much - telepathically interrogating everybody potentially responsible is illegal. At least, he wouldn't be able to interrogate them publicly. Reaching across the Atlantic and programming them to collect up every bit of evidence, march down to the BBC or where-ever, and confess all, isn't beyond his abilities.

Vitus couldn't do much, or care less. Crude oil isn't nearly as flammable as Greek Fire, and thus less fun. Forced to live in Nebraska for the time being, he's entirely in favour of more global warming anyway.

Patriot would tunnel 1000 feet down next to it , the preform a small detonation, crushing the pipe and collapsing tons and tones of rock on top of it sealing it. He can focus the blast so it doesn't do to much damage to the sea floor.

That's what the Navy should do

Captain Justice: To solve this crisis' date=' I will need assistants: a dog, a monkey, a robot, and a small boy.[/quote']

OK' date=' I gotta ask: Why?[/quote']

I understand the dog, monkey, and robot. But the Small boy just doesn't seem to fit. Is Captain Justice a former priest? j/k.

--

The Rose: Other than helping out by being a financier to others, he can't help. In general, other than acting as quick rescue for trapped individuals, The Rose can't help out much in Natural Disasters.

Paragon: Being a Jr. Teleios, he could possibly engineer something to consume the oil post-facto. Maybe help augment others to better deal with the situation. But that is about it.

La Rose.

Unfortunately, neither of my characters could do much about the oil spill.

1) Seeker is a telepath and has nothing that would affect the oil. Although he's an Olympic gold medal winner in swimming, he couldn't survive the depths. As others have mentioned, he could use his powers to try and find out who was responsible.

2) Psyblade is martial artist with a telekinetic blade. (You'll have to forgive the blade. He's only 17 and thinks it's cool). All he could do is stand by in shock until he finally gave in to the inevitable and began scrubbing oil off of pelicans.

Guest steamteck

I'm the GM but the team the players belong to The Protectors have two earth controllers and a PC who is made of solid stone with earth drilling powers. There's also an Iron man clone who could probably seal the leak and drill side pressure releases. Another PC who could help is Nebula a silver surfer type. She could probably seal the sucker with her cosmic power.

several villains would realize this was bad for everyone also. My version of Malacite ( Angelus) would engineer something to consume the oil for example.

Then they would figure out why people were drilling so deep for oil because there aren't any IC engines in use in the world. hydrogen, solar, nuclear stuff like that but because of the alien invasion during the steampunk era, the whole fossil fuel age was kind of skipped.

The largest oil spill has just happened moments ago in the gulf of Mexico. WWYCD?

(This is headline news right now, so I was wondering what your character would do if this situation happened in his/her world. Note: Your character arrives about an hour after the spill begins)

Dolphin: Marine biologist with 60 STR and full life support. Also absolute code vs killing, for which everybody involved in this Charlie Foxtrot should thank whatever god they worship. Very unlikely that even 60 STR is enough to cap the spill by himself. Will get whatever pictures and data needed for BP to formulate a plan. If they do not suggest one "I can't cap the well, too much flow. Can cut the damaged pipe cleanly, so new pipe can be attached. Weld it in place. Keep attaching pipe until we get it to the surface. With an additional mile of altitude pressure might be low enough to put a valve that will close on the pipe. Hand me that diamond saw!"

Millennium: TK MIGHT be enough to keep the surface slick away from the shore. Try to keep the slick contained enough for the skimmers to do their job.

Iron Will: Explain, in no uncertain terms, that dispersants do not make the oil go away, they just dilute it into a larger amount of water, making it less noticeable.

Everybody Else: Pelican scrubber

I'm the GM, and the Justice Foundation has an acrobatic detective, a guy who summons psychokinetic armor and weapons, an alien bug who can mimic humans, and an FBI agent possessed by a demon. Soooo....

The Global Association of Paranormals (GAP) selected a team of Americans from among its hundreds of members to work with BP and Transocean to seal the leak. They succeeded on June 19, and were greeted with a rousing 'what took you so long?'. GAP volunteers are also aiding in the cleanup.

Super Model can't really do much about the spill directly. She might participate in charity benefits to help fund cleanup efforts.

Likewise, Young Scratch doesn't have any powers that could help with the disaster situation (and attempts he might make could result in it becoming a worse catastrophe). But he could be exceedingly effective at giving the responsible parties motivation to do better in their attempts. :eg:

Kurzhaan the Conqueror would have to have someone explain to him exactly what offshore oil drilling is, but once he understood the problem there are any number of possible solutions he could apply through magic. Swimming down and patching the ruptured pipeline itself with a custom-tailored Transform seems the easiest.

This is the kind of thing Earth Girl was created to deal with. A nice walk along the ocean floor, using her earth-moving powers to seal up the bore hole the oil's rising through, and a few weeks spent swimming around in the Gulf to purify all the sea water polluted by the oil slick, and Bob's your uncle. But the cleanup process would take a long time, and expose her firsthand to a LOT of poisoned marine life she couldn't get to fast enough. I wouldn't want to work in any of BP's corporate holdings when the mysterious sinkholes start opening up.