The Sun Rises

Gnaskar

In their latest attempt to prove me wrong when I said "HERO System can do anything", one of my players asked for the power to make dawn come. After a short discussion where everything from Telekinetic rotating the planet to Images was considered. I didn't have a lot of time took discuss it with him, however, as helping a dozen new players build their characters with only one copy of 6E1 and the basic rulebook takes some effort.

In an attempt to make a rarely useful power not cost him an arm and a leg, I looked at the problem from a different angle. I stated up the night as a Change Environment (-4 to Normal Sight) with mega area. Then I told him to buy his Dawn power as a Dispel with enough dice to dispel it.

My questions: Is this thinking too far outside the box? And is there an easier way we've overlooked?

Re: The Sun Rises

It depends on the exact effect you want. If you want morning to come sooner, then EDM through time is the ticket. If you just want a "sunlight to destroy vampires" power that ends when you stop paying END, then Change Environment is probably the easiest way to go. If you want the House of the Rising Sun, then look up The Animals on itunes.

The principle to apply here is reasoning from effect. Making the Dawn Come is the special effect of a power that affects the game somehow, like a spell to create light.

You mentioned that the power would be rarely useful, which says to me that it won't really have any effect on the game, which means that, really, it shouldn't cost anything at all. If it's appropriate to the campaign I'd let the character do it for free. Or maybe charge 1 point.

It depends on the larger effect, to some extent. What happens when the character uses this ability?

A) The world spins faster for a short time (or is instantly in a different orientation). Everybody's clocks are now out of sync with the day/night cycle.

B) The immediate area is sent forward through time until it would be daylight.

C) Incoming sunlight is warped out of its normal path to shine on the immediate area (or the whole world).

For C, a Megascale Change Environment (or maybe Images). For B, I'm thinking AoE EDM (forwards in time). In both these cases, I'd allow a fairly large "niche effect" limitation to put the cost where it should be.

For A, I'm not really sure, and I think there would be complications from using such a power.

It depends on the larger effect, to some extent. What happens when the character uses this ability?

A) The world spins faster for a short time (or is instantly in a different orientation). Everybody's clocks are now out of sync with the day/night cycle.

B) The immediate area is sent forward through time until it would be daylight.

C) Incoming sunlight is warped out of its normal path to shine on the immediate area (or the whole world).

For C, a Megascale Change Environment (or maybe Images). For B, I'm thinking AoE EDM (forwards in time). In both these cases, I'd allow a fairly large "niche effect" limitation to put the cost where it should be.

For A, I'm not really sure, and I think there would be complications from using such a power.

This is precisely my own line of thought.
You know' date=' if you linked it to something else , we'd have a situation of "The Sun Also Rises" ;)[/quote']I'd actually been considering Summon Ernest Hemingway as an option (at least, a better one than the Tony Orlando gag).

The damaging effects of the sun, sunburn and skin cancer and so forth, are too slow or slight to count as a combat power (except maybe with vampires) and as useful and important as sunlight is to photosynthesis and other biological processes, the main in game effect is that characters with normal Sight can see easily. So it seems logical to build it from the Power that allows specifically that; that lets characters see as if it were daylight (in this case, because it is.)

Summon the Sun: Nightvision, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 12 Hours (approximate, depends on time of year and latitude) (-0), Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +1/4), Usable Simultaneously ( +1/2), MegaScale (1m = 100,000 km; +2 1/4), Cannot alter scale (-1/4) (19 Active Points); Window of Opportunity Once/day; window remains open 1-2 minutes (can only be used at a time approximately halfway from midnight to noon; specifics depend on time of year and latitude) (-1), Perceivable (-1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Incantations ("Behold the Sun, the Giver of Life") (-1/4), Gestures (facing East of course) (-1/4) Real Cost: 5

I use Usable Simultaneously rather than Usable as Attack because any individual can always refuse the benefit of the power by closing their eyes.

Sure, some people might snicker at a power that causes the sun to rise on schedule. Try forgoing it a few days and see how they like stumbling around in the dark! They'll beg you to use your power again – if they can find you.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary points out the inconvenient fact that if more than one person on the continent has this power, any one of them forgoing its use isn't going to make a difference....you'd need to form a union if you want to go on strike.

right

I started a 1 kg instead of 100 kg (the standard weight of a character in hero)

so

6 X 10^24 ~= 100*2^76

thus 76 doublings by mass

well

for a 5 point base

5 teleport 0 m position shift

5 usable against others +1 advantage

5 area of effect +1 advantage 1 m radius

now

radius of earth = 6 .3781 * 10^6 m ~= 2^23

so 23 doublings of the radius should cover the earth

since each doubling is a 1/4 advantage on a base 5 point position shift power

23 doublings is a +5.75 advantage and costs 29 points

for a 5 point base

5 teleport 0 m position shift

5 usable against others +1 advantage

5 area of effect +1 advantage 1 m radius

29 23 radius doublings (radius of earth)

49 Points