Help creating the D&D cleric's power Turn Undead

Bengalelf

I have a new character joining my campiagn and he has asked for the D&D power turn undead that most clerics have. Funny how Dr. Mid-Nite is having trouble finding players, and I am an hour away and turning players away. And yes to players I turn away, I do bring up his campaign in Detroit. No one is willing to drive that far. Anyway, I would like to ask for help in creating this power.

First note I am still running 5th edition. What I am thinking about is a 10 dice mind control only versus undead and only to make them flee. I am wondering how much of a limitation should only versus undead be, and how much of a limitation would only to make them flee be. I realize only versus Undead is based on the amount of undead in my world; which as a whole I would consider there number very small; it is a Sperheroic setting afterall. Also is 10 dic etoo much or too little?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Help creating the D&D cleric's power Turn Undead

I would use a different method: Presence.

Plus 50 Pre only vs undead (-1), requires end (-1/2) for 20 points, or maybe add the "requires OIF holy symbol" which would make it 17 points.

With only a basic 10 Pre, the cleric will get 12d6 => average roll 42 which should be +30 vs skeletons, zombies, etc. and +20 against more powerful undead. With +20 the undead may run, but definitely won't approach.

I would use a different method: Presence.

Plus 50 Pre only vs undead (-1), requires end (-1/2) for 20 points, or maybe add the "requires OIF holy symbol" which would make it 17 points.

With only a basic 10 Pre, the cleric will get 12d6 => average roll 42 which should be +30 vs skeletons, zombies, etc. and +20 against more powerful undead. With +20 the undead may run, but definitely won't approach.

In for the win. Repped. Variations could cost END, or require Incantations. "Back! Back, you creatures of the night."

From an old thread on a similar subject:

Here's an alternative that is much easier to implement:

Don't force the players to pay any extra* points for this as a power!

:eek:

Instead, make it a Disadvantage that ALL Undead have to holy spell casters in your game. (Similar to the one Superman has to Kryptonite; His villains don't have to pay for it, Superman already has.)

*If your game requires spell casters to spend points to have the latent ability you can tack this ability on as a side benefit of being a holy spell caster. You then just base the effectiveness of the ability on the character' holy-spell skill involving Presence. The ability then automatically gets better as the character spends XP on their holy-spell skill.

Turn Undead:

AE (Cone) +1, Only vs Undead -1, x2 KB +3/4, Gestures -1/2, Incantations -1/2

Apply this to either an EB or KA and it should have the desired effect. Turn Undead is supposed to cause damage not just give them pause and make them run.

There's lots of ways to go, and the deciding factor is going to depend on your game. If you enforce a hard Active Point cap, it's real hard to get that satisfying vampire bonfire Turning power by just buying it as an offensive power. Unless that's what you want is for the player to be able to make lesser undead go Poof! but only discomfort greater ones.

How you design your undead is going to matter a great deal. If they are all allergic (Susceptability) to holy men, you can just have your player buy a Perk: Paladin. If your undead are high DEF, low BODY creatures, then Transform into Dust works pretty well. If they are susceptable to PRE Attacks, then that way works remarkably well especially if you combine it with a Susceptability to PRE Attacks so they will actually take BODY damage from a large enough success.

Under previous editions I built Undead as Automatons, which would make use of PRE against them useless. I don't recall building a "turn undead" power so the issue never came up. But I like the builds mentioned above.

Under previous editions I built Undead as Automatons' date=' which would make use of PRE against them useless. I don't recall building a "turn undead" power so the issue never came up. But I like the builds mentioned above.[/quote']

If the campaign universe allows clerics to turn undead, I would think it correct to require all undead automotons to take either a suceptability or vulnerability to make them more effected by it than free willed undead.

If an undead can be "frightened" away then it's not an automaton, and make them vulnerable to PRE attacks from holy men with a holy item. So a priest with a 20 PRE would have a 40 PRE against an undead when presenting him with a holy symbol. This also works for evil preists, who have the command undead power. Commanding them is also a PRE attack.

With simple animated corpses and skeletons, just have them have the disadvantage "repelled by holy items/ceremonies".

I agree with the Presence build, and also with giving undead vulnerability to PRE attacks (even mindless ones, just say that it works as if they have 0 PRE). However, I think in a typical superhero game it should be -2 for "Only Undead." -1 would be about half your opponents are undead, -1.5 would be 1/3 (or is it 1/4? I forget) are undead, both of those seem very high.

Remember that evil clerics have "command undead" or somesuch, at least they did in 2nd ed. So the extra PRE or a vulnerability to "Turn/Command" PRE attacks from holy men would work pretty well, plus a susceptibility (1d6 per 10 points of effect?) for lesser undead.

Also consider whether you might want clerics to have additional options vs. undead--compelling them to answer questions, "healing" them(for evil clerics), turning them towards their deity's sacred purpose, etc. Since Hero ISN'T D&D, you can/should possibly take advantage of that. :D