Examples of low-powered/street level supers not from comics

CrosshairCollie

Re: Examples of low-powered/street level supers not from comics

One guy did this. I forget his name at the moment but he used to be some kind of bootlegger, or a wannabe. After he became immortal, he would shoot his enemy to paralyze them and then cut off their heads.

He does this to Duncan, but doesn't finish the job the first time. The second time they meet, he gets served

CES

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Ryo from the City Hunter anime (series and OVA movies)? His skill with a

gun could qualify him as a low-powered super, and he can be hardcore at times (in

one of the CH OVAs, he's shown shooting through his own hand in order to slow the

bullet down just enough to hit the guy he's aiming at, without the slug blowing thr-

ough and hitting any innocent bystanders). He's also a certified lech, and only takes

on jobs that involve beautiful women.

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

One guy did this. I forget his name at the moment but he used to be some kind of bootlegger, or a wannabe. After he became immortal, he would shoot his enemy to paralyze them and then cut off their heads.

He does this to Duncan, but doesn't finish the job the first time. The second time they meet, he gets served

CES

Xavier St. Cloud used mercenaries.

Lord Byron used what appeared to be a Derringer.

Paul Kinman used a 9 mm.

Morgan D'estang used a knife dipped in kurare to kill Duncan. Lost his head before Duncan died.

Johnny Kelly shot Duncan but was interrupted by a couple of guys coming into the storage area they were in.

James Horton shot Duncan but was stabbed before he could take the head.

I think Kelly is the one I was thinking about. I remember St. Cloud used poison gas on people, and Horton used renegade watchers.

Didn't Dawson kill an immortal once?

The thing I have noticed about many immortals which might go back to the circular story pattern is that they get good at one thing and keep at that unless they have some kind of drastic event happen to change the pattern.

Callas as a singer and theater producer.

The former nazi officer leading neo-nazis

The bounty hunter/lawman that Richie kills

Amanda

CES

We forget what we don't use. Skills atrophy. I sometimes read things I wrote fifteen or twenty years ago and think "Wow, I don't remember anything about that." I kind of like the idea of immortals who become very, very good at one or two things they keep practicing ("I've been doing yoga two hours per day every day for 300 years") and completely forget things they haven't had to do for a long while ("I haven't spoken Etruscan for over 2000 years; I have no idea what the hell this inscription means.")

The line between Dark Chapions, Low Powered Superheroes (who aren't bullet proof), and Pulp can get iffy in a campaign. Mostly it's a case of remembering to keep things lighter hearted if you want a tv supers feel. Bad guys who menace but rarely shoot straight, lots of puns, a forgiving universe, etc.

I think Kelly is the one I was thinking about. I remember St. Cloud used poison gas on people, and Horton used renegade watchers.

Didn't Dawson kill an immortal once?

The thing I have noticed about many immortals which might go back to the circular story pattern is that they get good at one thing and keep at that unless they have some kind of drastic event happen to change the pattern.

Callas as a singer and theater producer.

The former nazi officer leading neo-nazis

The bounty hunter/lawman that Richie kills

Amanda

CES

Dawson killed Duncan during the Dark Quickening. To my recollection Dawson never beheaded an Immortal. He wanted to on a number of occasions.

Kalas was a monk until Duncan and Paul found out Kalas was killing Immortals as they left Paul's sanctuary.

Amanda's character grew with The Raven series.

We forget what we don't use. Skills atrophy. I sometimes read things I wrote fifteen or twenty years ago and think "Wow' date=' I don't remember anything about that." I kind of like the idea of immortals who become very, very good at one or two things they keep practicing ("I've been doing yoga two hours per day every day for 300 years") and completely forget things they haven't had to do for a long while ("I haven't spoken Etruscan for over 2000 years; I have no idea what the hell this inscription means.")[/quote']

Immortals can get rusty with what they don't use but they tend to have rather long memories.

We forget what we don't use. Skills atrophy. I sometimes read things I wrote fifteen or twenty years ago and think "Wow' date=' I don't remember anything about that." I kind of like the idea of immortals who become very, very good at one or two things they keep practicing ("I've been doing yoga two hours per day every day for 300 years") and completely forget things they haven't had to do for a long while ("I haven't spoken Etruscan for over 2000 years; I have no idea what the hell this inscription means.")[/quote']

Immortals can get rusty with what they don't use but they tend to have rather long memories.

Yeah, I think it would probably be more like that. You would move your points around in the character to simulate the atrophy of certain abilities and the improvement of others. Even if you gain a lot of experience points, you still might sell back levels of certain skills and put the points to others.

I got an A in Algebra 25 years ago, but I would be hard pressed to get a C now probably.

It is somewhat disheartening how many of these characters are just 'a dude with a weapon'' date=' though. It worries me that if I tried running this game, I'd wind up with a Dark Champions shoot'em'up rather than superheroes.[/quote']

A good way to simulate low end superheroics is one power at a 50-60 pt power and nothing else.

Charlie from firestarter is a good example. Her power basically is setting stuff on fire and thats about it.

Most low end heroics are going to be Ka-zar, Tarzan, Dino Boy, Hydroman and Rainbow type stuff.

Out of all the suggestions on this thread, which do you like the most?

CES

Dawson killed Duncan during the Dark Quickening. To my recollection Dawson never beheaded an Immortal. He wanted to on a number of occasions.

Kalas was a monk until Duncan and Paul found out Kalas was killing Immortals as they left Paul's sanctuary.

Amanda's character grew with The Raven series.

i believe Kalas was in charge of the choir and was known as a singer at the sanctuary, or at his later career. I remember the reason he hated Duncan beyond normal Immortal hate was Duncan ruined his voice with a missed chop.

CES

Wasn't a missed chop. Kalas was going to kill a friend of Duncan's as part of his revenge for getting tossed out of the sanctuary. During the fight Kalas had Duncan at a disadvantage. He grabbed a shard of glass from a broken door and cut Kalas's singing career short.

Kalas sang in the choir but his other skill was as a scribe copying illuminated works.

Wasn't a missed chop. Kalas was going to kill a friend of Duncan's as part of his revenge for getting tossed out of the sanctuary. During the fight Kalas had Duncan at a disadvantage. He grabbed a shard of glass from a broken door and cut Kalas's singing career short.

Kalas sang in the choir but his other skill was as a scribe copying illuminated works.

And later he was running the theater right? and promoting the singer?

CES

The Sanctuary TV series presents a world full of supernatural monsters, most with fairly limited powers. A fairly strong & tough but not bullet proof caveman, an immortal with no other real powers but lots of experience, a teleporter with what looks like low level super speed, a full Vampire (the most powerful "PC"), an Invisible Girl, and a forensic psychologist with a high PER roll and a fair skill set. Almost forgot the Buffy clone, who goes Evil and gets a massive power upgrade later in the series.

A good way to simulate low end superheroics is one power at a 50-60 pt power and nothing else.

Charlie from firestarter is a good example. Her power basically is setting stuff on fire and thats about it.

Most low end heroics are going to be Ka-zar, Tarzan, Dino Boy, Hydroman and Rainbow type stuff.

Out of all the suggestions on this thread, which do you like the most?

CES

So far, the Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter stuff, though Sanctuary was another good one, though I'm not that familiar with it. My wife watches it, I just get the fallout when she geeks over it. :)

Some Highlander trivia: One immortal whom Dawson was tempted to kill was Armand Thorne (aka John Durgan), who murdered Joe's girlfriend. That role was played by the late Brion James, who also played villain Solomon Box in M.A.N.T.I.S.

Another low-powered super would be Darkman.