Examples of low-powered/street level supers not from comics

CrosshairCollie

More brainstorming on my part ... I usually run Avengers/Justice League style supers games, with international (and interdimensional) travel, world domination/destruction plots, alien invaders, all that kind of jazz. I was thinking perhaps, for a change, do something smaller, a street-level Champions game where the PCs largely remain in the same city and deal with more pedestrian crime.

However, most supers that fit onto that level of power aren't as well known as the big names like Superman. Outside of Spider-Man and Batman (in his own books or in his original animated series, not in JL), I doubt most of my players have heard of any of them. Guys like Daredevil or Moon Knight in Marvel, or Vigilante from DC are not likely to be well-known.

So, I'm looking for ideas for characters along that power level from sources that I'm not familiar with, most notably anime since the rest of my group are at least passing fans of anime, with at least one really into it.

General guidelines:

1. Not totally bulletproof. A thug with a Saturday Night Special might not be a real threat, but the character shouldn't feel confident in his ability to simply stand there and let it bounce off his chest. Even if the bullet doesn't penetrate his skin (or body armor), he should at least have a chance of feeling it.

2. By the same token, not grossly powerful on offense. Lifting a car, yes, flinging a full tanker truck, no. Probably in the 8-10 DC range.

3. No truly plot-bending powers, like reliable Precognition, open-ended transformation (a la Sersi or Firestorm) or open-ended Magic Pools. Psychic powers by themselves, however, are acceptable.

Some examples I can think of:

The TMNT (technically comic characters, but better known in other media)

The TV version of the Incredible Hulk (possibly a little too damage resistant)

Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow from GI Joe

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Examples of low-powered/street level supers not from comics

The Shadow from the pulps and radio might be a good example.

Probably is, though I think anybody in my group is going to be more familiar with his movie depiction by Alec Baldwin. Which is ... slightly cheesier than I'd like to get, but not too bad on the whole.

Gunsmith Cats, as far as staying in one city and worrying about local criminals goes. Bean Bandit definitely has some super-strength.

The Green Hornet is also based in one city and deals with criminals, having no powers except martial arts and gadgets (and a great car).

Trigun, in that most of the foes are killers with guns and a superhuman edge for using them. Vash has to worry about getting shot (and he does get shot).

Would need a means of offense (probably weaponry), but not a bad starting point.

Gunsmith Cats, as far as staying in one city and worrying about local criminals goes. Bean Bandit definitely has some super-strength.

The Green Hornet is also based in one city and deals with criminals, having no powers except martial arts and gadgets (and a great car).

Trigun, in that most of the foes are killers with guns and a superhuman edge for using them. Vash has to worry about getting shot (and he does get shot).

Green Hornet's a good one that I do know. I'll have to take your word for the others. :)

How about, Jesse and of course Control from the old "Hard Times on Planet Earth" series? Got beat to the 6 Million Dollar Man already, but there's an entire family there to draw off of, heh. There's also the new show "The Cape" coming out soon, if it's not already out. You can youtube the trailer for that.

~Rex

Misfits of Science was an old (well, 80s) TV show about people with low-level mutant powers. Knightrider might qualify if you consider, "supercar" to be a super power. (Likewise, Airwolf, only with a helicopter.) The Sentinel featured a cop with incredibly enhanced senses. Mantis was about a paraplegic who fought crime with a suit of powered armor he built himself (IIRC).

The Destroyer (Remo Williams), particularly in the first few books of the series (later on, when he gets a full handle on Sinanju, he might be a bit too much.)

The Avenger (pulp) is a good one for street-level (especially with his useful aides), the second radio Avenger might be interesting because his "psychic power" is so easily limitable. (It's a Immobile Focus, Telepathy, thoughts connected with strong emotions only, Area Effect Radius, Megascale, requires Systems Operation skill roll.)

The Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman are good ones' date=' especially since they actually have superpowers.[/quote']

The Destroyer (Remo Williams)' date=' particularly in the first few books of the series (later on, when he gets a full handle on Sinanju, he might be a bit too much.) [/quote']

Now I'm just turning into a broken record. :o

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsbook/steveaustin.html

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsbook/remo.html

Doc Savage and his team would qualify. Doc's a Renaissance Man of Science! . A paragon of mental and physical prowess, with a metric buttload of science and knowledge skills, plus wealth, a not-so-secret base (the Empire State Building), vehicles, allies, etc. Yes, he had plenty of globe-trotting adventures, but he also dealt with street crime and mobsters. Bullet-proof vest, yes. Bulletproof body? Emphatically not.

If street level anime is on the table, I recommend Amon, and Robin from Witch Hunter Robin, most of Section 9 from Ghost in the Shell, Maybe L from Death Note.

Most pulp heroes such as Doc Savage and the Spider are good.

Western heroes like Jonah Hex and the Two Gun Kid can be updated into the modern day.

Most Ghost Riders fit here.

Many of the heroes from the golden age like The Press Guardian, Sandman, and Wildcat also fit. Jess Nevins's site used to have a list of them you could use.

CES

CES

Now I'm just turning into a broken record. :o

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsbook/remo.html

Wow! Great to see my old Remo Williams write up again. It's important to note that this version of Remo Williams is really from around books 1-3. Remo today is a 1200+ point monster, maybe more, and that's if a lot of his stunts are folded into a VPP. OTOH, the Removerse is an incredibly rich Pulp setting with hidden Magic and Superscience.

Pretty much any American TV Super from the 70s-80s fits a Street level game; the SFX budgets weren't up to cosmic adventure, and even comic book cosmic characters like Wonder Woman (or Captain Marvel) ended up fighting street crime and rare not-very-ambitious Supervillains. So, Man from Atlantis, various versions of The Invisible Man, Greatest American Hero, TV's Wonder Woman (on the high powered side), The Greatest American Hero, etc.