Examples of low-powered/street level supers not from comics

CrosshairCollie

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Examples of low-powered/street level supers not from comics

I think characters from fighting games really are your best inspiration for that kind of game outside of comic book characters if you don't want guys with guns.

I think you're right. I don't know if it was missed or just hard to find, but I wanted low-powered supers, not just street-level characters. It seems there really aren't that many examples.

Too low and the heroes are street level like Daredevil, Moon Knight, The Question, The Press Guardian, Most of the MLJ-Archie heroes like the Black Hood.

Then they get more build up into heroes like Ted Kord, the second Blue Beetle, The Shield, some of the heroes mentioned on this thread like the street fighters, most Legionnaires, several Stephen King creations, manga fighting heroes at the start of their carreers, several Thunder agents.

Then at the top of that is Batman, Wolverine, Deadpool, Captain America, Spider-Man maybe.

What is going to be the point range? Maybe that will narrow the focus down.

CES

• 1 month later...

From a similar thread back from July:

Black Canary seems like a perfect fit (and companion to Green Arrow).

Here is a 250 point Dark Champions character I played based on her:

Red Tiger

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36551[/ATTACH]

edit..

i should learn to not post in the middle of the morning (i just noticed the rest of the thread title!) doh!

Been having an interesting conversation for a few days with Bazza about using Stargate as a low powered Supers setting. You have warriors with low level Super Strength, Regeneration, and Martial Arts; Super Speed granting bracelets, personal force fields and other Super technologies; Psionics that are usually low level by Comic Book standards; a race of true High Powered Supers who have a set of rules that keeps most of them out of Human affairs. All sorts of potential there.

How come no one is mentioning the obvious?

Big Daddy and Hit-Girl from Kick-Ass. Kick Ass apparently gets some skills in volume 2, but I haven't read that one.

Perhaps Cole from Infamous, the video game, especially in the early parts of the game.

I have to disagree on most the Legionnaires being low-level supers. Most them are obscenely powerful. Though they generally have one power, that power is most often taken to an extreme level. Cosmic Boy is like Magneto. Sun Boy can outdo the Human Torch. I won't even get started on Wildfire (Erg), Element Lad, or Mon-El. Some of them are lower level, like Triplicate Girl or Shrinking Violet, but even then they have enough gadgets and martial arts training that they could stand on their own in a standard Champions game. While not on the level of a Batman or Iron Fist, even the one-trick ponies of the Legion can all fight on at least the level of say a Green Arrow or Cyclops. There is a reason why Galactic Champions is basically written as a Legion homage.

How come no one is mentioning the obvious?

Big Daddy and Hit-Girl from Kick-Ass. Kick Ass apparently gets some skills in volume 2, but I haven't read that one.

Perhaps Cole from Infamous, the video game, especially in the early parts of the game.

a graphic novel IS a form of comic book thats why big daddy& hit girl were'nt mentioned

More brainstorming on my part ... I usually run Avengers/Justice League style supers games, with international (and interdimensional) travel, world domination/destruction plots, alien invaders, all that kind of jazz. I was thinking perhaps, for a change, do something smaller, a street-level Champions game where the PCs largely remain in the same city and deal with more pedestrian crime.

However, most supers that fit onto that level of power aren't as well known as the big names like Superman. Outside of Spider-Man and Batman (in his own books or in his original animated series, not in JL), I doubt most of my players have heard of any of them. Guys like Daredevil or Moon Knight in Marvel, or Vigilante from DC are not likely to be well-known.

So, I'm looking for ideas for characters along that power level from sources that I'm not familiar with, most notably anime since the rest of my group are at least passing fans of anime, with at least one really into it.

General guidelines:

1. Not totally bulletproof. A thug with a Saturday Night Special might not be a real threat, but the character shouldn't feel confident in his ability to simply stand there and let it bounce off his chest. Even if the bullet doesn't penetrate his skin (or body armor), he should at least have a chance of feeling it.

2. By the same token, not grossly powerful on offense. Lifting a car, yes, flinging a full tanker truck, no. Probably in the 8-10 DC range.

3. No truly plot-bending powers, like reliable Precognition, open-ended transformation (a la Sersi or Firestorm) or open-ended Magic Pools. Psychic powers by themselves, however, are acceptable.

Some examples I can think of:

The TMNT (technically comic characters, but better known in other media)

The TV version of the Incredible Hulk (possibly a little too damage resistant)

Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow from GI Joe

Check out "Devil's Cape" I posted some characters in that thread...they should be easy to power 'up" or "down"...

I have been toying with this idea for Origins this year. Tenitively titled "Screen Machines".

Devin Miles, the head of an advanced private security organization known as the Foundation for Law And Government (FLAG), has begun to expand its operations to include other "special assets" operating around the country. This already includes FLAG's own special operative Michael Knight, a man whose identity has yet to be verified because he does not exist in any database anywhere in the world. His skills suggest an intelligence background or possibly law enforcement. Knight's special asset, an advanced automoble called the Knight Industries Three Thousand. KITT, as it is known, displays superior speed, manuveuring,and durability to anything the road today, KITT also has access to any database Knight might need to solve a case. Rumour has it that KITT may be artificially intelligent; capable of "thinking" and acting on its own.

Devin has also contracted a former Navy SEAL named Randall Spencer and his partner Malcolm Brubaker to build what amounts to a sea-going KITT. Six months ago, they unveiled the "Jolly Roger", a much superior version of Spencer's prototype "Thunder" attack powerboat. The Jolly Rodger has been seen attacking drug boats and gunrunners and any other waterborne threat within Los Angeles and its surrounding harbours.

Devin looked next towards building an aerial element, but Knight Industries lacked the aerospace resources needed to build the type of aircraft Devin envisioned. So he looked to aquire one already in use. One was already availible but it came with a lot of baggege. This special asset belonged to the LAPD's Astro Division helicopter support unit. Known as Police Special Two. It is known to the general public as "Blue Thunder". The Blue Thunder unit had been controversial almost from the start. Originally to be deployed as a crowd control unit during the 1994 World Cup, it was stolen by an Astro Division pilot named Frank Murphy, a Persian Gulf War veteran with a history of psychiatric problems. Attempts to shoot down Murphy and the stolen prototype helicopter resulted in great damage and injury to the city. All efforts were halted when an assosiate of Murphy's delivered a video tape to KBLA-TV showing a meeting of cops and feds betraying the real reason Blue Thunder was built; Shot with Blue Thunder's own equipment. Little has been revealed since Murphy destroyed the prototype. However, a second Blue Thunder was built thirteen years later for reasons yet known. However, this unit has more checks and balances with how it is deployed than the previous model complete with a ground support unit called "Rolling Thunder". Controversy still dogs the new unit as civil rights groups objecting to another armed police helicopter in their city and advocates for the victims of the first Blue Thunder fiasco still demanding satisfaction from the city continue to attempt to shut down the unit for good. Adding fuel to the fire is the appointment of Frank Murphy as its commander.

Devin made a deal with Captain Murphy and his Federal superiors that he would be allowed the use of Blue Thunder and its support staff until another vehicle could either be built or aquired. However FLAG would only be allowed its use within the units operational jurisdiction.

PLAYER CHARACTERS

KNIGHT RIDER

Michael Knight (Original 1980's character with current(but stripped down) KITT).

THUNDER IN PARADISE

Randall Spencer ( Jolly Rodger Pilot).

Malcolm Brubacker ( Jolly Roger Co-Pilot and gunner).

A new character will be added as the boat's ECW officer.

Thunder will be totally replaced by the Jolly Rodger and like KITT, this will have more realistic equipment.

BLUE THUNDER

Officer Tom Carpenter (Pilot).

Officer Samantha Miller (Observer).

Officer Richard "Ski" Butowski (Rolling Thunder Support).

Officer Lyman "Bubba" Kelsey (Rolling Thunder Support).

Officers Carpenter and Miller are original characters. Ski and Bubba are from the Blue Thunder TV series.

Two possible senarios

1) THE PAUL REVERE DILEMMA.

FLAG is asked to protect a wikileaks-type mogul from both a vicious orginization and a mysterious vigilante known as the Street Hawk.

2) BLACK F.L.A.G.

A man from Devin's past has created an evil version FLAG and is terrorising the city.

Let me know what you think.

Viper (super car vigilante government team) was also in this vein. I don't know if yo want to include it with Kitt and Street Hawk already planned.

Airwolf comes to mind if you can't make the Blue Thunder thing work out.

I'm sure there were a couple more shows like this.

CES

Well...usually street level heroes either get re-written to be way more powerful than they actually are (ex. Batman & Capt. America), and end up being able to stand up to cosmic level threats, or their books do not sell well enough for them to remain as a solo hero (ex. Green Arrow & Black Cat). Now of course there are exceptions to this (Daredevil is the best one that comes to mind). So finding street level comic heroes might be a little difficult unless you are willing to do some digging or research. The suggestion from above about looking at the B-list is a good one, but my first question is what abilities are you looking for in street level heroes? My second question is what do you consider to be "street level"?

Well...usually street level heroes either get re-written to be way more powerful than they actually are (ex. Batman & Capt. America)' date=' and end up being able to stand up to cosmic level threats, or their books do not sell well enough for them to remain as a solo hero (ex. Green Arrow & Black Cat). Now of course there are exceptions to this (Daredevil is the best one that comes to mind). So finding street level comic heroes might be a little difficult unless you are willing to do some digging or research. The suggestion from above about looking at the B-list is a good one, but my first question is what abilities are you looking for in street level heroes? My second question is what do you consider to be "street level"?[/quote']

I admit, it's a nebulous concept. Spider-Man tends to be my ur-example, even though he's been involved in many cosmic-level adventures. Batman and Captain America, in their individual books rather than as members of JL or Avengers, also work; standard firearms are at least a worry, if not necessarily a true threat.

If it helps, if I do this game, odds are some characters from 4e Dark Champions will probably make an appearance. Especially the Card Shark gang ... I love those guys.

Viper (super car vigilante government team) was also in this vein. I don't know if yo want to include it with Kitt and Street Hawk already planned.

Airwolf comes to mind if you can't make the Blue Thunder thing work out.

The trouble with Viper (and a similar show called Super Force) is that it takes place in the future. And as for Airwolf, does anybody really think that Devin could convince Stringfellow Hawke to fly for him without Archangel having a say in the matter?

When I was messing with the idea of a "League of Extraordinary Vehicles" type game, I noticed that KITT, Blue Thunder (both movie and TV series), and Street Hawk have two things in common; 1) All three were operated by former (Michael Knight) or current (Frank Murphy and Jesse Mach) police officers. and 2) All three were members of the LAPD. So a secret, high-end crime unit within the LAPD came to mind but I could not come up with a reason as to how this would work so FLAG was the next best thing as an umbrella organization with the Blue Thunder unit acting as an assosiate partner.

I admit, it's a nebulous concept. Spider-Man tends to be my ur-example, even though he's been involved in many cosmic-level adventures. Batman and Captain America, in their individual books rather than as members of JL or Avengers, also work; standard firearms are at least a worry, if not necessarily a true threat.

If it helps, if I do this game, odds are some characters from 4e Dark Champions will probably make an appearance. Especially the Card Shark gang ... I love those guys.

Except Spider-Man isn't street level. Spider-Man spends a lot of time patrolling and stopping common street violence out of guilt and responsibility. His strength and agility put him easily within the Avengers level. His problem there is that, while he does team-up from time to time, he is generally not a team player.

Except Spider-Man isn't street level. Spider-Man spends a lot of time patrolling and stopping common street violence out of guilt and responsibility. His strength and agility put him easily within the Avengers level. His problem there is that' date=' while he does team-up from time to time, he is generally not a team player.[/quote']

I agree with you. Which made it ironic that he stared in a comic called Marvel Team Up (150+ issues over the various volumes)

Except Spider-Man isn't street level. Spider-Man spends a lot of time patrolling and stopping common street violence out of guilt and responsibility. His strength and agility put him easily within the Avengers level. His problem there is that' date=' while he does team-up from time to time, he is generally not a team player.[/quote']

His agility (dex 33) I agree with, but a 40 STR is just about right.

The trouble with Viper (and a similar show called Super Force) is that it takes place in the future. And as for Airwolf' date=' does anybody really think that Devin could convince Stringfellow Hawke to fly for him without Archangel having a say in the matter? [/size']

When I was messing with the idea of a "League of Extraordinary Vehicles" type game, I noticed that KITT, Blue Thunder (both movie and TV series), and Street Hawk have two things in common; 1) All three were operated by former (Michael Knight) or current (Frank Murphy and Jesse Mach) police officers. and 2) All three were members of the LAPD. So a secret, high-end crime unit within the LAPD came to mind but I could not come up with a reason as to how this would work so FLAG was the next best thing as an umbrella organization with the Blue Thunder unit acting as an assosiate partner.

Viper was set in the present day. It had two drivers and I think the second one was a fed that had been kia because they brought the original team back for the last season.

It doesn't matter what Archangel wants unless he asks for help, hawke and santini fly for themselves. I can see them acting as a backup to blue thunder.

CES

I agree with you. Which made it ironic that he stared in a comic called Marvel Team Up (150+ issues over the various volumes)

The point of Marvel-Team-Up was that on any given day Marvel characters would just run into each other and interact. So he was never really a team player in the book. It's like a pick-up game of two-on-two at the local courts. No one is really affiliated long term unless they want to be. Spidey was just that one guy who always seemed to be around, or maybe it was his ball.

By the way, Marvel Two-In-One and Marvel Team-Up are perfect models of how to run a pick-up Champions game, or a game with only a handful of players.