Examples of low-powered/street level supers not from comics

CrosshairCollie

Re: Examples of low-powered/street level supers not from comics

Since The Shadow and The Green Hornet have been mentioned, I thought I'd add the original version of The Blue Beetle. The costume he wore was bulletproof, but he should provide good inspiration anyway. You can listen to episodes of his radio show here: http://www.radiolovers.com/pages/bluebeetle.htm

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucan would work, may be dating myself but I liked that show as a kid, heh. Boy raised by Wolves..... Other low end super powered stuff that would work. Automan, and Manimal would cut it, Captain Marvel and Isis along the lines of their TV shows would work well to. The Ninja Stuff from The Master would also be some good Material, not to mention, Swamp Thing out of his own TV show. Lot of potential from the good old days. Fun with vehicles to if you wanted to do a Knight Rider swipe to.

~Rex

Mystery Men :)

Way too silly for regular play.

Check out Heroes and the 4400 if you haven't yet. There are a lot of concepts in there that really work for low level supers. They just don't have the trappings. Add a costume and a code name and you are there.

Look at the "evil" version of Parkman form the future in Heroes. He's a federal agent with decent, but not awesome, telepathy. He uses it to get information in interrogations, and more interestingly, he uses it as sort of Danger Sense/Combat Sense/Combat Skill Levels in a fight by picking up on his opponents intentions a split second before they act on them.

There was a guy in the 4400 who had increased hand-to-hand abilities, but no resistant defenses. He set himself up as a vigilante, but he died because he couldn't bounce bullets, or knives as the case may be.

I haven't read Wild Cards in a long time (twenty years), but if I remember there weren't really any world beaters in those books. Yeoman!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey' date=' Surbrook has a bunch of those too: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsvideogame/videogamechar.html[/quote']

Finally got back to this thread, and looked at that ... those folks are all *way* too powerful for this kind of game. Ryu can do an 18.5d6 attack. I want Street Fighter, not Dragonball Z. I know, just power them down until appropriate. :)

Finally got back to this thread' date=' and looked at that ... those folks are all *way* too powerful for this kind of game. Ryu can do an 18.5d6 attack. I want Street Fighter, not Dragonball Z. I know, just power them down until appropriate. :)[/quote']try witing the mu as they were in the USA network cartoon that seemed low powere enough

Would the immortals from Highlander count as low-powered supers? They can be dangerous opponents' date=' but they still have many human frailties.[/quote']

Definitely. They cannot be killed except through decapitation, and many of them have been around for centuries, learning everything they can--especially when it comes to combat and swordfighting.

The First Earth Batallion could also be considered low-powered supers--soldiers trained to develop psychic abilities and dedicated to the protection of the whole planet. The basis for the book and the movie The Men Who Stare At Goats.

But why wouldn't they learn everything' date=' or at least as much as they can? They're going to live forever--unless someone kills them, of course. How else are they going to pass the time?[/quote']Sex, drugs, living, dying...

Hmm. Total immortality kinda violates the spirit' date=' if not the letter, of being bulletproof. In either event, you get shot at but don't care. :)[/quote']

Actually, Duncan and Amanda both commented on how much they hated being shot.

There's no reason you couldn't kill a Highlander style immortal with a gun. Enough shots will take a head right off. It was custom and the rules of dueling that kept them using swords, not neccesity.

For that matter, there's no reason you couldn't kill a Slayer with a gun. She survived being shot, but the shooter was an idiot who didn't make sure she was dead.