Is There a Canonical List of Stronghold Escapees?

Theron

I'm sort of kind of beginning to mull over a new idea for a campaign set in the CU that would use the 2009 Stronghold Breakout as a starting point (sort of how the breakouts from SHIELD's super-prisons served as a jumping off point in the new Avengers cartoon). I've got a lot of CU material and haven't had a chance to read through as much as I'd like, and while I can certainly come up with my own list of escapees, if Steve or someone has already done the work, it saves me one more thing to figure out.

So, basically, I'm wondering if such a list exists, even in partial form?

Re: Is There a Canonical List of Stronghold Escapees?

Yeah, I've got Stronghold (I'm fairly sure there's not much in the way of Champions supplements I don't own at this point). It doesn't include any 2009 breakout info (not surprising, as the book came out in 2008). It does have a lengthy partial list of inmates, which is a good enough start for my purposes.

Mostly, I was wondering because I know plenty of folks here are near-compulsive list makers and got curious when I noticed Alchemica's entry mentioned she was part of the 2009 breakout.

I own the 5th edition Stronghold book. It has much useful information' date=' but I don't like what it did to one of my favorite villian teams, Deathstroke.[/quote']

At least the DuMorte brothers are still alive. I find myself needing to run Champions again just so I can reassemble Deathstroke with some extant villains to replace Shockwave, Death Commando, Scatterbrain and Stinger.

While it may not include all the escapees, the 6E Champions Villains trilogy specifies which of the villains it covers participated in the 2009 breakout:

CV1 -- Master Villains

Interface

Ouroboros (King Cobra's lieutenants):

Boomslang

Gorgon

Krait

Slither

Menton

CV2 -- Villain Teams

(Deathstroke):

Requiem

Frost

(PSI):

Psimon

Medusa

Soulfire

CV3 -- Solo Villains

Alchemica

Arrowhead

Black Paladin

Dragonfly

Esper

Galeforce

Geothermal

Glacier

Mechassassin

Megavolt

Riptide

Stiletto

Stormfront

Thorn

Valak

Wildeye

At least the DuMorte brothers are still alive. I find myself needing to run Champions again just so I can reassemble Deathstroke with some extant villains to replace Shockwave' date=' Death Commando, Scatterbrain and Stinger.[/quote']

That was exactly Steve Long's intent for including the brothers with the villain teams in CV2. Requiem did a lot of thinking and growing up, and made a lot of contacts, during his long incarceration. It would be very easy to coalesce a new Deathstroke around him and Frost just from the other Stronghold inmates, both those who broke out in 2009 and those whose sentences were up before then that the Du Mortes could have met in prison.

One more option:

A HeroCentral Campaing started with the Stronghold escape from 2009. It is a modified version of the CU setting (the champions are different), but the villian seem identical. Also his escapees included some from the above list.

The Name of the campiang is "Campions Unlimited":

http://www.herocentral.net/campaignInformation.htm?newCampaignId=1030163

While it may not include all the escapees' date=' the 6E [i']Champions Villains[/i] trilogy specifies which of the villains it covers participated in the 2009 breakout:

CV1 -- Master Villains

Interface

Ouroboros (King Cobra's lieutenants):

Boomslang

Gorgon

Krait

Slither

Menton

CV2 -- Villain Teams

(Deathstroke):

Requiem

Frost

(PSI):

Psimon

Medusa

Soulfire

CV3 -- Solo Villains

Alchemica

Arrowhead

Black Paladin

Dragonfly

Esper

Galeforce

Geothermal

Glacier

Mechassassin

Megavolt

Riptide

Stiletto

Stormfront

Thorn

Valak

Wildeye

This is exactly the sort of thing I'd hoped was out there. Thanks!

This is exactly the sort of thing I'd hoped was out there. Thanks!

Actually, when I read your request I just searched the CV PDFs for references to Stronghold. ;)

Interestingly, the Stronghold sourcebook lists some characters as being inmates while their Champions Villains histories make no mention of incarceration, e.g. the Cirque Sinister team and Kinematik's follower Fossil. Steve's policy on differences between Champions editions is usually that the latest reference is the "official" one.

That was exactly Steve Long's intent for including the brothers with the villain teams in CV2. Requiem did a lot of thinking and growing up' date=' and made a lot of contacts, during his long incarceration. It would be very easy to coalesce a new Deathstroke around him and Frost just from the other Stronghold inmates, both those who broke out in 2009 and those whose sentences were up before then that the Du Mortes could have met in prison.[/quote']

This is actually a very popular plot line...many teams...having been beaten too often in the past...get no respect...so the team reforms with new members and a new attitude for a newfound chance at actually gaining some much need respectibility from their peers. I actually did this with the Ultimates...dumping Radium and the redundant and utterly useless Slick for Anklosaur and Tachyon. this version had many more tactical options..and meshed better as a group...my players learned to be wary of them.

Actually' date=' when I read your request I just searched the CV PDFs for references to Stronghold. ;)[/quote']

Then I thank you doubly for your efforts, to do that just for my request. I already repped you, so can someone else give him a dose?

Thinking about it ... I may let Scatterbrain survive the Dagger misfire. I kinda liked her. Stinger can be replaced by Hornet' date=' Death Commando by Lazer, and Arrowhead by ... I dunno, Morningstar?[/quote']

I'm thinking of letting Scatterbrain and Shockwave (aka Arrowhead) survive. Imagine...

Shockwave, a former mob enforcer, sets himself up as a minor mob boss in (campaign city) with his pretty girlfriend always in the backround. A metahuman mob boss would be a powerful force. A mob boss whose strings (and those of his men) are being pulled by a telepath...

Several of the Stronghold escapees, including some of the most powerful, are described as having dropped below law-enforcement's radar since the breakout. That leaves plenty of room for GMs to concoct a major scheme or event that they've been building up to since.

Shockwave, a former mob enforcer, sets himself up as a minor mob boss in (campaign city) with his pretty girlfriend always in the backround. A metahuman mob boss would be a powerful force. A mob boss whose strings (and those of his men) are being pulled by a telepath...

Now that's got potential! Shockwave 'thinks' he's the one coming up with all the plans, but it's really Scatterbrain. Give her some skill levels or extra dice in 'subtle manipulation' and you're all set.

I always had a problem with how PSI was portrayed in 4th and 5th edition. A band of barely socially-functional idiots whose 'big schemes' seemed to be derailed as much by their Psych Lims as anything the heroes did. And such schemes! "Let's blackmail Menton's mind-controlled senator!" Then wonder why the Death Star of the Mentalist World wants to fry them... Going with Shockwave & Scatterbrain makes for a more low-key and 'streets' level approach.

Sorry I didn't see this before.

There is no official canonical list of everyone who escaped in the 2009 breakout. A bunch of escapees are covered in Champions Villains, of course, but they're not the only ones. There could be plenty more, including some of the never-written-up villains mentioned in Stronghold (which was written before 2009 and thus doesn't discuss the breakout at all). As LL mentioned, it's easy to search the PDFs, if you have 'em, for all references to terms like "Stronghold" and "breakout" and "escape" and "2009" to start assembling a list, if you're so inclined.

Several of the Stronghold escapees, including some of the most powerful, are described as having dropped below law-enforcement's radar since the breakout. That leaves plenty of room for GMs to concoct a major scheme or event that they've been building up to since.

That, in fact, is kinda the point. ;) Also it saves me a lotta work. :eg:

I came up with a concept for that kind of buildup for a couple of the escapees, Geothermal and Thorn, incorporating them into a new CU "theme team," Gaia's Wrath.

IMHO the 2009 escape is an example of an element introduced via Champions Online, i.e. the Stronghold zone and breakout scenario, which has added considerable story potential to the PnP game setting.

I came up with a concept for that kind of buildup for a couple of the escapees' date=' Geothermal and Thorn, incorporating them into a new CU "theme team," Gaia's Wrath.

IMHO the 2009 escape is an example of an element introduced via Champions Online, i.e. the Stronghold zone and breakout scenario, which has added considerable story potential to the PnP game setting.

Geez LL...Geothermal is a beatstick and a half all on his own. What mighty superteam is gonna be up to the task of taking him...and some friends...down? :)

Heck, I could easily do worse than that. :eg: Consider another Stronghold breakout, Glacier. His CV3 entry suggests he fled to the Arctic after escaping. In the far north is the Frost Tomb, prison of the terrible god of winter night, Kigatilik (see CV1). With the Frost Tomb apparently weakening, Glacier may be drawn to Kigatilik's power; his origin may even involve Kigatilik. And when he gets there, Glacier's might may be enough to help him get free.