odd CAK question

Patriot

Destroy "him" being Malachite or the yet-to-be-born (I'm assuming) clone? I think you mean the latter. Making one more assumption, then, I'd say it relates to (yuck) the character's feelings on abortion. I'd let the character decide (unless that's already clear, e.g., "CAK: Based on Christian conservative morality" or "CAK: Based on orthodox Catholicism" or something similarly overt) and move along hastily.

Of course if either of my assumptions is incorrect let me know.

"Working on" implies the cloning process hasn't taken place yet, meaning the would-be clone is just genetic stuff in test tubes. I'd have no problem blasting that.

If it's progressed to the point where it's a fetus or a baby, I'd strongly suspect Malachite was setting me up to trash my rep (like planning to film me killing the clone, then release the footage to every news agency on the planet) or something equally sneaky. Therefore, I'd steal the clone and raise it as my son. :D

In the USA, depends on the state you are in.

I assume it would fall under abortion laws.

I have numeroud clones around my campaign, but no Malachite. All the clones were made by a woman believed to be working for the People's Republic of China, which has a shortage of super-powered people.

Most of the clones are copies of one of the players, her sisters, or mother (all have powers). Some are children, others are adult. They have a special school they all go to...:)

Re: odd CAK question

Originally posted by Patriot

Creating a clone is a crime against humanity:

Depends on your point of view. Many of my PCs wouldn't have a huge problem with the concept.

Malachite has gotten a hold of some of your favorite PCs DNA, and is working on a clone of him.

As others have mentioned: How far along?

Can or should you destroy him(yes the clone will grow to have your powers)

Depends on your powers, I suppose. I think most of my characters would go the route that O'Neill took with his clone on SG-1: Liberate him and turn him loose/raise him right. (His clone had all his memories, so he was already raised.) Of course, we're talking about Malachite, so you'd have to check for mental tampering and all that fun stuff. I mean, O'Neill has got to have one VERY mild CAK, probably the default "reluctant to kill," and he didn't see fit to kill his own clone. He was pretty peeved about being cloned, but he's not going to kill someone who's basically his identical twin, just because some else created him.

I think most CAK characters would try to find some way to deal with it, unless it conflicted with some other deeply held belief, such as cloning being a "crime against humanity." If the character doesn't have a Disadvantage conflict (i.e., no other moral codes at Strong or better that say cloning is bad), I'd say the CAK should rule and the character should figure out how to deal. OTOH, if the character does have this kind of conflict, at the Disadvantages levels, he can do a bit of roleplaying, and make the decision one way or another -- and then be all angst-ridden at violating one of his conflicting codes. Of course, you could also cheese out on the roleplaing and do an opposed roll of Disad vs. Disad. (Not sure exactly how I'd work it out, probably base EGO roll for each disad, maybe modified by the intensity of the disads, beats me.)

Or maybe you can just do a straight comparison and RP the result. Say the character has two disads: CAK and Destroy Clones (DC). If he's CAK Total, and DC Strong, the CAK should win out. If he's CAK Strong and DC Total, he'd probably off the clone, but feel really bad about it. If he has CAK Strong and DC Strong, you can either have a roll off, largest margin to ignore the code wins out, or just pick one to go with that makes story sense. If he has CAK Total and DC Total, he might just explode like any computer Kirk has ever talked to except the ship's computer, and have the clone take his place....

My current favorite PC, Hardware, would handle things as follows:

Test Tube Of Genetic Goo: Confiscate it if reasonably practical.

Bady/Child Clone: Arrange for the clone child to be adopted by a good family.

Adult Clone: Try to convince his "other self" that working for a scoundrel like Malachite would not be worth it. Depending on the outcome of this scenerio, Hardware would probably spend some XP to have his clone working with him full time thereafter (Either as a Follower or a Duplicate that cannot recombine). Talk about becoming a double threat. :D

Malachite has gotten a hold of some of your favorite PCs DNA, and is working on a clone of him.

Wouldn't happen, there IS no Malachite in my universe, or in the universes I play in *Smirk* Saved by NPC deletion.

However, replacing that with Teleois (sp)...

Let me think.... not sure, but likely.

Apex: No worries, his powers are magically endowed, and I doubt the clone would have those. It's not IN the genes.

Potion of Goo: Give it to some scientist, maybe it can help cure cancer one day.

Baby: Find him a good home, would raise it himself, but he lost his wife, and he needs to focus on his daughter.

Full Grown: See what, if anything, Dreamweaver could do about it... he owes me.

Lonestar:

Potion of Goo: He'd be sort of unsure, but might be talked into just getting rid of it after checking with scientists in the team. Or he would have them freeze it.

Baby: He might end up raising the boy himself, if he couldn't find a good home for him. He'd keep a close eye to make sure the lad grew up to use his powers properly.

Fullgrown: Use his oratory and persuasion to inspire the Clone to join him on the path of truth, justice, and the Texan way :)

Recluse: Grandmother Spider gave him his powers, so...again, I doubt the clone would be getting them. Still, this would wig him out.

Potion of Goo: Nix it.

Baby Recluse: Uhm, find him a good home.

Fullgrown: Well, no powers, but would probably arrange for the guy to get a good start a few hundred miles away (Who needs the complications of a duplicate)

Slammer:

Potion of Goo: 50 seconds in the microwave should solve the problem... (Unless the radiation has a 'comic book' effect on it and it becomes "Slamzilla" or something)

Baby: Panic attack. Would seek guidance.

Fullgrown: He'd really be offended by this, but if it was fully sentient, he couldn't just pull the plug. He'd either become a rival, enemy , or a friend, who knows?

Surge: "Powers" come from his powered armor.

Potion of Goo: Give it to Jessica to analyze. Probably hold it in status.

Baby: Beat head against wall, B*tch for a few hours how dad never had to deal with this stuff, and then find the kid a good home.

Full grown him: Beat head against wall, B*tch for a few hours how dad never had to deal with this stuff, and then try to help the guy deal with his new life while making a BS story trying to explain why ANYONE would want to clone a comic book artist.

Wildcard: Powers come from training and card like gadgets.

Potion of Goo: Tastes... minty.

Baby: Ah, the cute little tyke. Off to the Adoption agency so you can grow bitter and confused.

Full grown Wildcard: Dude, my face in my secret ID is copyrighted in the etertainment industry of Atlantic City. You're going to the West Coast, and becoming an Accountant.

Well, if we're talking about what our players would do, I shudder to think what mine might do. But most likely, if the clone were still DNA and not manifest in a fetus form, they'd probably freeze or destroy it, ultimately. If it were a fetus, I'm really not sure which way they'd go; it might be an object of hot debate. If it were a baby, I'm sure someone would try to raise it or find a good home for it.

Re: odd CAK question

Central point - even if you consider creating a clone to be a crime against humanity, surely BEING a clone is not.

Raises some Secret ID issues too.

Originally posted by zornwil

Well, if we're talking about what our players would do, I shudder to think what mine might do.

I'd be more concerned about the PCs in your game. :P

Based on if self:

Spectrum: Probably raise it, but have Sihn check it for tampering.

Laughton: DNA?

Sihn: I'm sure he'd raise it.

Sammy: I think we're already doing this with he & Jane.

Neuman: If he's got an organic brain...

----

On to my PCs:

Calico: Would it be pre-mutated DNA or after? She'd probably destroy it.

Scales: I'm not sure if he really has DNA anymore... Magical curses and such.

Spitfire: She's a scientist in the field, so she'd probably raise it if it seemed viable.

Nighthawk: He already has seven clones running around now.

Andromeda: Raise it

Blazer: Get someone else to raise it.

Ice Pirate: She'd raise it. Always was a fan of Lone Wolf & Cub...

Originally posted by lemming

I'd be more concerned about the PCs in your game. :P

Based on if self:

Spectrum: Probably raise it, but have Sihn check it for tampering.

Laughton: DNA?

Sihn: I'm sure he'd raise it.

Sammy: I think we're already doing this with he & Jane.

Neuman: If he's got an organic brain...

----

On to my PCs:

Calico: Would it be pre-mutated DNA or after? She'd probably destroy it.

Scales: I'm not sure if he really has DNA anymore... Magical curses and such.

Spitfire: She's a scientist in the field, so she'd probably raise it if it seemed viable.

Nighthawk: He already has seven clones running around now.

Andromeda: Raise it

Blazer: Get someone else to raise it.

Ice Pirate: She'd raise it. Always was a fan of Lone Wolf & Cub...

Oh yeah, to be clear, I definitely meant in the context of my game more than yours. Although now that Sihn is reformed it's a lot less scary of a variety of options.

Baron von Darien -- wonder how the hell somebody managed to clone a vampire. Have the child tested to guarantee its paternity and whether or not Teleios has tampered with him. Foster the child out to a good family and see that it's provided for financially, but never let him find out about his heritage -- i.e., give him the chance for a normal life that the mortal son of one of the world's most notorious master vampires would never otherwise have.

Starguard -- at age 18, try and become a single mother. Her friends would probably convince her to put the kid up for adoption, but she'd have to be talked into doing that.

Dr. Pain -- again, have the child tested for genetic tampering. After that, leave the kid with relatives and visit frequently.

Anthem: She's just a kid and such things are so beyond her that she would seek guidance. Since she is religious she'd likely see her priest; parhaps he can tell her if such a thing has a soul. She would resent being a duplicate but if the person were just like her, she'd feel too much empathy to ever kill them.

Uncle Slam: Been there, done that. The clone of Uncle Slam, named Vaterland ("Fatherland") was made by the S.S. back in 1942. Vaterland was utterly destroyed by Paragon in a titanic battle in the skies over Normandy. As this was an act of war, no charges were ever levelled.

Audra Blue: Talk about resentment. She would enlist all of her contacts to track down the clone material. If there is *any* chance that it is not yet a "living being", she would destroy it. If however it's beyond the point of no return, she would see to it that it is taken away and given to someone who can raise it right. There would be a certain amount of envy there, not having had a normal childhood of her own, but its for the best.

Anthem: "he's trying to clone me? that's rich. my powers are the result of the symbiotic attachment of a benign spiritual entity roughly equitable to an arch-angel of the heavenly hosts to my physical form. his best result will be a genetic duplicate of a normal human without powers. these guys never learn. you think he would have checked the peer reviewed paper by the last joker who tried this in the journal of embarrasingly failed nefarious plots and twisted experiments gone horribly wrong and avoided the humiliation. still, while I do not believe cloning is crime against humanity, and may be a moral and religious obligation in a narrow set of circumstances, I would not care to see another human being under Malachites vile sway."

1) if its goo: heat ray vision

2) if its a child - see to it that the child is adopted by a good family

3) if its an adult, speak for the good and let him choose for himself. All beings have free will.

Midnight: If its goo - microwave it; If its a baby - kidnap it and raise it himself; If its an adult - at this point its probably hunting him. Doesn't know if its a crime against humanity or not.

Pinstripe: kill this particular malachite (we know he'll be back). If its goo, destroy it. If its a baby - leave it in an orphanage, or on the doorstep of some family who can't have children, but desperately want them. If its an adult... that depends. If it leaves malachite and lives the life of a good citizen, fine. If not - terminate it. Pinstripe hasn't been knocking over cloning research facilities... must not be a crime.

Doc Micro: if its goo, destroy it. If its a baby, find someone to raise it. If its an adult. If they end up turning out okay he will track their movements and progress. If they end up being one of malachites lackey's he will permanently micronize them, implance a tracker, and turn them over to the authorities.