So, all the super-prisons broke ...

CrosshairCollie

I've been egged into reviving an old Champs team, and I'm debating running Reality Storm as an adventure. Since Destroyer and Kreuzritter (sp?) can control the reality storm and want to cause as much damage as possible, I was considering having them crack open Stronghold and any other worldwide prisons expressly used for containment of superhumans.

I can't recall Destroyer's relationship with Menton in 5e, I'll have to check that ... he might be trying to kill him or free him, depending on just how that falls.

Anyway, Stronghold and its ilk are destroyed. After the Storm passes, obviously the governments and agencies of the world will start rebuilding them, but until then ... what do they do with super-prisoners in the meantime?

Re: So, all the super-prisons broke ...

Well, in a pinch, there are some old nuclear bunkers and a bunch of empty ICBM facilities that could be repurposed to provide temporary super-prison facilities. Some superhero teams have temporary holding cells at their bases, and presumably UNTIL and PRIMUS have similar holding cells. In the alternative you could put them somewhere exotic that would be hard to escape from, absent life support--underwater bases, satellite bases, lunar bases, and so forth. One of the more likely prospects would be a military facility, since it could be pretty reinforced to begin with, plus you'd have ready access to some heavy firepower to put down an escape attempt.

Or you could have a super-sorceror whip up a spell to send them all to the Garden of Earthly Delights until such time as the super-prisons are ready. ;)

Well' date=' as of the 5E CU, UNTIL maintains its own super prison, called the Guardhouse. Canada also created a similar institution for its captured supervillains, "Stronghold North." I imagine some arrangements could be made with these institutions to house American super criminals temporarily while Stronghold is rebuilt.[/quote']

According to the OP, they were broken open too.

My answer: any temporary facilities available, hospital (if injured while being recaptured), normal high security prisons (for focus users).

Uninhabited islands if they can't fly. Atlantean prisons if they can't breathe water.

Sedation/hot sleep could be temporarily applied in some cases - the Reality Storm is an emergency.

In a few cases, it might be possible to offer the villains deals - assistance with the crisis in exchange for pardons, or at least letting them escape.

Final resort: Duress. With or without Nebula's assistance/permission.

I like the idea of offering less-offensive villains some deals:

• Help us collect your escaped colleagues (obviously not those in the same teams) in exchange for a pardon.

• Let us use one of your hidden facilities (revealing its location to officials, of course) to house recaptured villains, in exchange for a full pardon. (This could easily apply to whole villain teams, including those that weren't previously captured.)

The thought of the heroes having to work with someone they've put away is an interesting prospect, IMO.

- - - - - - - -

Recaptured villains could be housed in an off-Earth facility (say, a captured alien space station, or a remote lunar outpost), with pairs or trios of villains and food supplies put up there by automated transports that can't safely re-enter Earth's atmosphere. No guards, just the villains forced to work together to keep life support running and nobody blowing holes in the walls until the government rebuilds the superprisons and can bring them home in small groups. (Actually, that might make for a few interesting one-shot games -- one with the players playing the parts of villains arriving at the station, and another with them being a super-group sent to collect and transfer a small group of villains to the rebuilt Stronghold.)

Another plot possibility is that many of the villains abscond to a country with no extradition treaty, and then either work for the government(with generous salaries and lots of perks) or become the government via takeover. It'd become dramatically more difficult to take them into custody under those circumstances, and it might become a safe haven for fugitive villains in the future, too.

The thing is, I would think super villains actually overthrowing a government rather than sheltering in an existing sympathetic one with no extradition treaties would be an open invitation for UNTIL (or the campaign equivalent) to send in strike teams and forcibly remove them with no diplomatic worries.

I think most "Supers are Common" settings have Inhibitors for Superpowers.

At least In Champions Online Mileniums City Prision had Cells for Supervillians "until they could be transfered to Stronghold".

Rebuilding Superprisions could go faster than you think, especially when some supers provide help with building.

Placing them on the Moon:

That sounds like a Invitation for some Space-enabeled Villian use it as a recruiting ground ("I leave in 1 hour and take 5 people with me."). With enough preparation the good guys might not even notice that the entire prision is only filled Holograms.

And what you intend the Ferries to be able to and what supertechs make of them "under your nose" are two totalyl different questions.

And what you intend the Ferries to be able to and what supertechs make of them "under your nose" are two totalyl different questions.

(taps fingers together evilly) Exaaaactly! I didn't say it would work as intended. In fact, as a certified Evil GM, "unintended consequences" are almost required.

Perhaps in a mystical holding cell temporarily until the situation can be rectified in a more permanent manner. A moon base or asteroid containment facility would do really well also. If your characters have the sort of power to pull those things off. I love the idea of offering leniency to some of the lesser villains for help rounding up their fellow inmates. Real chance for a player to switch out character to a reformed villain.

(taps fingers together evilly) Exaaaactly! I didn't say it would work as intended. In fact' date=' as a certified Evil GM, "unintended consequences" are almost required.[/quote']

It would be important that the authorities just for once behaved not totally stupid and put the wizards in the techno-prison and the techs in the magic based Prison so that just once the people are likely to not have the skills to escape.

Why would that be stupid? That just sounds like an assumption. After all Dr. Doom swings both ways.

Two words for Dr. D:

Hot Sleep.

The same they would do with Menton and similar guys.

But for the rest it would be nice to just once have the bad guys be placed in where they can't use their knowledge to escape that easily.

And, of course, the American people won't object to hot sleep, cold sleep or a bullet in the head screaming that it is "Unconstitutional."

Prison escapes are part of the genre. A justifiable excuse when the GM wants to dust off a favorite villain.

Well, I think the methodology of restraint used may affect the level and type of resistance that villains put up to avoid recapture--if they know they're getting a bullet in the head, there's zero incentive not to use deadly force. If they may face cold sleep or hot sleep, they may also ratchet up their level of force, take hostages, etc. It may also make it more likely that they group together. Imagine trying to bring in the Ultimates and finding two other whole teams standing beside them.

There's also the consideration that super-prisons are incredibly expensive to build(and rebuild), and once they've been busted open once, for whatever reason, it may spark debate about the wisdom of having so many super-criminals confined in the same location, or flaws in the design of such places, or even whether incarceration is the best approach in all cases.

Part of the reason I want to bust stuff wide open is so that I can start over; I've forgotten who the PCs have put away and who's escaped, so I need a reset button. And, yeah, I'm considering restructuring things for having multiple smaller facilities scattered nationwide as opposed to gathering all the supervillains in one place so they can conspire and such. The Constitutionality, benefits, and necessity of Hot Sleep is something that I intend to come up, though I'm not sure if I can really make much of a compelling story arc out of court cases and legal debate (none of the PCs are lawyers or politicians and such matters have never really interested my players).

I should probably specify that the prisons breaking open will look like a natural disaster of some sort, as opposed to a standard break in/breakout. Something like an earthquake or tornado crashing the whole facility. Not all the villains in the prisons are going to escape unscathed, of course ... also a good way to write out some people. ;)

And' date=' yeah, I'm considering restructuring things for having multiple smaller facilities scattered nationwide as opposed to gathering all the supervillains in one place so they can conspire and such.[/quote']

The downside of it would be the higher costs. The main Reason for one big thing instead of many small, is that you don't need to have certain common parts redundant. Things like the gate or Outer Wall take up more resources to guard in many small than in one big prison.

The same goes for most parts of the construction that does not scale up with the number of prisioners.

The Constitutionality' date=' benefits, and necessity of Hot Sleep is something that I intend to come up, though I'm not sure if I can really make much of a compelling story arc out of court cases and legal debate (none of the PCs are lawyers or politicians and such matters have never really interested my players).[/quote']

What if somebody started a plan that can only be delayed by putting him to hot sleep? Perhaps Menton put sugestive Commands in a few thouasend people and it does not matter for him if he is locked away for 80 Years.

I should probably specify that the prisons breaking open will look like a natural disaster of some sort' date=' as opposed to a standard break in/breakout. Something like an earthquake or tornado crashing the whole facility. Not all the villains in the prisons are going to escape unscathed, of course ... also a good way to write out some people. ;)[/quote']

That gives some opportuntiy for those on the inside to escape and "quit", by feigning their death.

Some heroes have matter and reality warping abilities that should help with any rebuilding process. Heroes with gates can dump villains anywhere that can hold them for a while like the moon.

the main problem seemed to be where do you want your villains to be put and how do they get there.

What do your players have that can help set up with either?

CES

Nothing much. We have a limited flame projector' date=' a telepath, a shadow/darkness manipulator, and a speedster. None of them have any particular technical expertise.[/quote']

Unless the speedster is carrying the bad guys to jail, it looks like all the prison stuff will have to be background noise.

If you're using Nebula, maybe you could duplicate the ray gun she uses.

The easiest thing in my opinion is to pick an island somewhere and drop any villain without movement powers there. Put anybody else asleep for as long as possible until the new prison is built.

Heroes with technical skills and powers should be able to help that along in game time

CES

What if somebody started a plan that can only be delayed by putting him to hot sleep? Perhaps Menton put sugestive Commands in a few thouasend people and it does not matter for him if he is locked away for 80 Years.

Unless those commands are "name me as your heir in your Last Will & Testament" I think Menton will be rather disappointed with the results when he comes out of his 80-year nap.