Women of the Champions Universe (Fanpictorial)

Epiphanis

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dan2448

Re: Women of the Champions Universe (Fanpictorial)

These illustrations are great. I have a 5 year old daughter and have been introducing her to super heroes, starting with vintage cartoons from the 80s (most notably "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" and various incarnations of "Super Friends"). Until then, I'd never really noticed the relative paucity of female super heroes. There's Wonder Woman, of course. And Storm. And then various 'teenagers' like Firestar, Batgirl, and members of the Teen Titans. But seeing how excited my daughter got upon discovering that super heroes (and villains) are not all male really sensitized me to the importance of having a more proportional gender mix among super heroes.

She was from 2nd edition Enemies book. Albino African...when I rewrote her for 4th Edition I think I had a drawing but I probably don't have it anymore; my costume was a white, sleeveless bodysuit with black trim, a "skirt" but more like a loin cloth...log boots and gloves black with white trim black belt. Black "mask" that seemed like a strip of cloth over her eyes - no eye-holes.

She was from 2nd edition Enemies book. Albino African...when I rewrote her for 4th Edition I think I had a drawing but I probably don't have it anymore; my costume was a white' date=' sleeveless bodysuit with black trim, a "skirt" but more like a loin cloth...log boots and gloves black with white trim black belt. Black "mask" that seemed like a strip of cloth over her eyes - no eye-holes.[/quote']

She had an aversion to sunlight, but I don't think she was blind. I think she was in "enemies" (the first one.)

and I found this: http://towerofzenopus.blogspot.com/2011_01_23_archive.html

She had an aversion to sunlight, but I don't think she was blind. I think she was in "enemies" (the first one.)

and I found this: http://towerofzenopus.blogspot.com/2011_01_23_archive.html

Right, the strip was actually high tech - some flash defense as well as holding her radio, providing nightsight, and a bit of telescopic IiRC

oh and I ditched her afro for braids.

Right, the strip was actually high tech - some flash defense as well as holding her radio, providing nightsight, and a bit of telescopic IiRC

oh and I ditched her afro for braids.

I woman has the right to keep her hairstyle in keeping with the times. The dress, however, has come in and out of style twice and looks very close to what Misty Knight used to wear in "Iron Fist"

I dunno' date=' I kind of dig the Afro. Someone's City of Heroes heroine Soul Train rocks the afro in the art they've commissioned.[/quote']

I dated a girl with an afro like that. I was disappointed when she changed to braids. My son in law had a character in CoH that was rocking the yellow/black Bruce Lee pants and had a huge afro. His name was Master of Funk. It was pure genius. :D

Don't get me wrong...chesecake, headlights, and bondage is good, in small amounts. And I am not saying that such stuff ruined comics in the 90's. Event comics, multi-cover overexposers, charater overexposion, and bad girl artwork also helped.

And I am not a prude. I run a small Yahoo bondage group myself (Oldfashion Damsels in Distress BETA).

I should just shut up now.

Sounds like a group that Mister Wicked (a frequent visitor to Q.U.A.R.K.'s Advice Column thread from

many years ago here on the boards) would've been part of (:eg:)...

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

These illustrations are great. I have a 5 year old daughter and have been introducing her to super heroes' date=' starting with vintage cartoons from the 80s (most notably "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" and various incarnations of "Super Friends"). Until then, I'd never really noticed the relative paucity of female super heroes. There's Wonder Woman, of course. And Storm. And then various 'teenagers' like Firestar, Batgirl, and members of the Teen Titans. But seeing how excited my daughter got upon discovering that super heroes (and villains) are not all male really sensitized me to the importance of having a more proportional gender mix among super heroes.[/quote']

Don't forget The Powerpuff Girls--three of the toughest, most adorable five-year-olds to ever fight crime and the forces of evil.

Sounds like a group that Mister Wicked (a frequent visitor to Q.U.A.R.K.'s Advice Column thread from

many years ago here on the boards) would've been part of (:eg:)...

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

Humm...I vaguly remember him, as I am his creator. You could (if your Search Fu skills are good) do a search to find his Hero 5th Edition stats for him.

But that is not hear or there.

• 2 months later...