Support HERO Indirectly...

Ndreare

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Support HERO Indirectly...

Nice work!

Perhaps it's easier to let people download a single compiled file. Here it is if you don't mind:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41855[/ATTACH]

We are far from the 6-page adventure, but it wouldn't be possible with official character sheets...

Intersting, but I found a understanding Problem. In this Sentence: "The following series of adventures take place in the Mhendarian Palatinate" (yes, it's the first) Because I have no idea what a Palatinate is, nor what the Mhendarian Palatinate is, nor what can be done in this world (what magic/technology does exist?).

Otehr htings:

Writeups in General:

You gave "to hit" values for each OCV and DCV, but those values will vary depending on the OCV/DCV of the target/attacker (especially after you add CSL into the equation). So I am not so certain how they help...

Goblin Writeup, Improvised Swords, Axes and Weapon says HA +1d6. Would be best to give just the total Damage and End expenditure of the attack, especially considering the way STR adds to KA's.

Soldier Writeup:

I might be best to give you an example how the attacks sextion would become more readable:

STR Strike: 1 END* 3d6 Normal Damage (PD)

Knife: 1 END* 2d6 Killing Damage (rPD), Can't add damage via Maneuvers or CSL

Shield Bash: 1 END**, 4d6 Normal Damage (PD), Can't add damage via Maneuvers or CSL, -2 OCV (frankly, I a not certain why this is even part of their description? why would they need such an attack? With the OCV penalty, STR strike is propably better...)

Sword, Bastard: 1 END*, 2.5 D6 Killing Damaage (rPD), can add up to 2 Damage Classes with maneuvers or Skills

*this might be 3. At least afaik in heroic 1 END per 5 STR is more common.

**the same, but only 2.

Cementry Encounter:

I think it would easier to understand if you write:

"If the players investigate the cemetery they will find 1 skeletons for each character ready to kill them, led by the Mayor. He was hoping they would have been killed already, but he cannot afford for his secret to get out."

Skeletons:

Consider using Zombies or anything else that doesn't has limited defenses. Especially when part of the defenses are made resistant, things jut get too complicated. And frankly I can't really get how you get to 5 Physical Defense. Is that before or after the limited ones? How does it interact with the Resistant for 6 PD udner powers?

Mayor Drayson:

I would never, ever use a VPP in an introduction adventure. Aside from needing a lot more text, this makes the adventure incompatible with Basic Rules. Try to use a Multipower at tops.

Intersting' date=' but I found a understanding Problem. In this Sentence: "The following series of adventures take place in the Mhendarian Palatinate" (yes, it's the first) Because I have no idea what a Palatinate is, nor what the Mhendarian Palatinate is, nor what can be done in this world (what magic/technology does exist?).[/quote']

The Mhendarian Palatinate is a kingdom in the turakian age setting. I will have include some basics there about the feel of the setting.

PS: Good point I had to look up what a Palatinate is as well. Aparently it is basicly a part of an epire ruled by a govener. I chose it because in the turakian age setting it seemed the most optimistic of the kingdoms.

Otehr htings:

Writeups in General:

You gave "to hit" values for each OCV and DCV, but those values will vary depending on the OCV/DCV of the target/attacker (especially after you add CSL into the equation). So I am not so certain how they help...

Goblin Writeup, Improvised Swords, Axes and Weapon says HA +1d6. Would be best to give just the total Damage and End expenditure of the attack, especially considering the way STR adds to KA's.

Soldier Writeup:

I might be best to give you an example how the attacks sextion would become more readable:

STR Strike: 1 END* 3d6 Normal Damage (PD)

Knife: 1 END* 2d6 Killing Damage (rPD), Can't add damage via Maneuvers or CSL

Shield Bash: 1 END**, 4d6 Normal Damage (PD), Can't add damage via Maneuvers or CSL, -2 OCV (frankly, I a not certain why this is even part of their description? why would they need such an attack? With the OCV penalty, STR strike is propably better...)

Sword, Bastard: 1 END*, 2.5 D6 Killing Damaage (rPD), can add up to 2 Damage Classes with maneuvers or Skills

*this might be 3. At least afaik in heroic 1 END per 5 STR is more common.

**the same, but only 2.

Cementry Encounter:

I think it would easier to understand if you write:

"If the players investigate the cemetery they will find 1 skeletons for each character ready to kill them, led by the Mayor. He was hoping they would have been killed already, but he cannot afford for his secret to get out."

Skeletons:

Consider using Zombies or anything else that doesn't has limited defenses. Especially when part of the defenses are made resistant, things jut get too complicated. And frankly I can't really get how you get to 5 Physical Defense. Is that before or after the limited ones? How does it interact with the Resistant for 6 PD udner powers?

Mayor Drayson:

I would never, ever use a VPP in an introduction adventure. Aside from needing a lot more text, this makes the adventure incompatible with Basic Rules. Try to use a Multipower at tops.

The OCV/DCV thing is just how we do it but it is not the official way so you are right.

On the other stuff you have some good points. I will clean those up and remove the vpps.

The skeleton is a abreviated version from Hero System Bestiary. And the exports are from Hero Designer.

The Mhendarian Palatinate is a kingdom in the turakian age setting.
Something to think about is that Turakian Age is not published any longer' date=' nor has it been updated for Hero 6th Edition. On the other hand, I do not have a ready alternative to suggest. No scratch that, I do have an alternative. [i']Kamarathin: Kingdom of Tursh[/i] is still actively supported I think. I do not think it is as "high" as Turakian Age, but it is pretty darn epic.

Something to think about is that Turakian Age is not published any longer' date=' nor has it been updated for Hero 6th Edition. On the other hand, I do not have a ready alternative to suggest. No scratch that, I do have an alternative. [i']Kamarathin: Kingdom of Tursh[/i] is still actively supported I think. I do not think it is as "high" as Turakian Age, but it is pretty darn epic.

How about jsut using some generic name for the Kingdom and tell the GM to "place it wherever it fits"? The same way as referencing more than one book (or more than the BR), referencing/requiring any existing settings in any of the adventures is not a good idea.

How about jsut using some generic name for the Kingdom and tell the GM to "place it wherever it fits"? The same way as referencing more than one book (or more than the BR)' date=' referencing/requiring any existing settings in any of the adventures is not a good idea.[/quote']Going to go out on a limb here and disagree...a bit. Personally, I would love to have an "official" Hero fantasy world* to write adventures for. One of the things that I think makes games like Pathfinder and D&D worlds so popular is how the modules interact with an established setting. That said, whatever the "official" world is, Hero would need to actively support it (keep it in print and update to 6E as appropriate). Being where Hero is currently at, I doubt that would be too likely. That all said, generic adventures would still work fine.

One option that I was considering was having a one or two page blurb for the specific setting. Contrary to all the splat books out there, many GMs are perfectly capable and content to take a framework and build from it. Best setting ever (IMO)? The Daggerford environs as specifically outlined in the old module Under Illefarn. Just enough information to give the GM a framework and not so much as to limit them from there. Mind you that Under Illefarn was a little more than a few pages.

* Or SciFi setting, etc. I know that there were setting books released, but none were updated to 6E and are all out of print. You can get the PDF for Turakian Age at least, but it is still for the 5E rules. And the majority of GMs are not going to want to convert the material over.

Ndreare' date=' I like the abbreviated write-ups. Is that a Hero Designer export or something else?[/quote']

I export from HD using Shane Harsch's RTF v1.6 export, then manually adjust it to read how I like. I do not have the talent to make my own export.

Of all the exports I have seen his is my favorite.

How about jsut using some generic name for the Kingdom and tell the GM to "place it wherever it fits"? The same way as referencing more than one book (or more than the BR)' date=' referencing/requiring any existing settings in any of the adventures is not a good idea.[/quote']

The problem with being overly generic is it does not encurage people to buy things from hero.

Of course it is true we are lacking in 6th ed support for Turakian Age, but I feel useing 5th ed material wrks easily without even converting. After all the main change will be point cost and those are usually ignored for badguys anyways.

One question regarding the skeletons I just remembered:

Do they have the cheaper (45 Point) Version of Takes no STUN? Because that one also means they loose abilites when taking body damage.

They do, but I think that would be an unatractive option to new people as it adds more paperwork.

Okay so I fixed them a bit and put the characters into the Primer so there are less files to down load.

I also cleaned up the write ups per feed back and went ahead and threw a picture in there just for some taste.

I removed the detail about takes no stun, and moved things around a bit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41925[/ATTACH] IST 00 - Player Primer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41908[/ATTACH] IST 01 - What About The Goblins

No I will start working on the next adventure in the same series.

Ndreare, I like what you have done. The export you have chosen for the NPC is also my favorite HD export but for the purpose of this "One-Page" adventure", I'd go even leaner and cleaner. Perhaps using a format similar to the one used in Everyman (for 5th, I am not sure a similar HD export exists). I'd even tone down the character sheets by using your current NPC format, the Everyman format or a format similar to the one attached (done by someone on the board but my faulty memory prevents me to credit him) but of course with a less comic bookish look. I guess I'd like to see the character sheets stand on a single page with the engine hidden (no cost, advantage, limitation shown).

[ATTACH]41912[/ATTACH]

Edit : Over the years GURPS has gotten a lot more clever in presenting there stat blocks so it can be an inspiration for HERO. If you took a look at Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 1: Mirror of the Fire Demon, you could see an example of a full character stat block in half a page, (in the Rivals section) and monsters and NPC stat blocks in a quarter of a page or less.

Ndreare, I like what you have done. The export you have chosen for the NPC is also my favorite HD export but for the purpose of this "One-Page" adventure", I'd go even leaner and cleaner. Perhaps using a format similar to the one used in Everyman (for 5th, I am not sure a similar HD export exists). I'd even tone down the character sheets by using your current NPC format, the Everyman format or a format similar to the one attached (done by someone on the board but my faulty memory prevents me to credit him) but of course with a less comic bookish look. I guess I'd like to see the character sheets stand on a single page with the engine hidden (no cost, advantage, limitation shown).

[ATTACH]41912[/ATTACH]

Edit : Over the years GURPS has gotten a lot more clever in presenting there stat blocks so it can be an inspiration for HERO. If you took a look at Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 1: Mirror of the Fire Demon, you could see an example of a full character stat block in half a page, (in the Rivals section) and monsters and NPC stat blocks in a quarter of a page or less.

I like you format for the Raven write up, do you recall what format and title it has in HD?

I like you format for the Raven write up' date=' do you recall what format and title it has in HD?[/quote']

Unfortunately, there is to my knowledge no HD export format matching this layout (just to be sure there is no misunderstanding, this is a sheet created by for some con game if I recall correctly).

that is teh bunneh's Raven character sheet... he creates the character in HD and exports it as a text file, then pastes the output into an MS Publisher template his has built... he once asked if someone on the HD forum who was good with export formats could put together one that would do a similar output... unfortunately no one has...

Okay so I fixed them a bit and put the characters into the Primer so there are less files to down load.

I also cleaned up the write ups per feed back and went ahead and threw a picture in there just for some taste.

I removed the detail about takes no stun, and moved things around a bit.

IST 00 - Player Primer

IST 01 - What About The Goblins

No I will start working on the next adventure in the same series.

First I want to say I really love this. I think this is a great start for the type of collection that has been discussed in this thread. I do have a few questions/concerns/comments though, mostly about the characters.

The Archer’s bow is only 1d6k. Despite being the agile, ranged attack-guy both the Psi Lord and Veteran have stronger ranged attacks, which seemed odd to me. Maybe the Bow of Flames goes against rED which tends to be less common/lower than rPD in fantasy campaigns, which would mitigate the lesser DCs some, but it just seemed off to me. Also, why does he have a Bastard Sword when every other character has a Broad/Long Sword? He is not even strong enough to effectively wield the B-Sword due to its STR Min, and it just seems weird that the fast/agile/range guy has the biggest/heaviest/most unwieldy HtH weapon of the group.

The Psi Lord. Unless you plan on having him wield it with both hands to offset the STR Min he can’t handle the Broad/Long Sword without penalty. Perhaps a Short Sword? Or have him be the one character with a blunt or odd weapon? With 10 STR he could effectively wield the Mace, Hammer, Quarter Staff, or Short Spear. Also, while you give some great example powers for his VPP, I question the use of a VPP in general considering you specifically state that the adventure is compatible with Hero System Basic. Why not make it a Multipower and just drop a few Powers to make him more manageable for a new player? Lastly, I know he is very versatile and not supposed a super combatant, but with only 3 OCV and 3 MOCV he is going to have trouble hitting anything other than mooks/cannon fodder, won’t he? EDIT: I forgot about the +3 w/psionics, so he's probably fine. Does that +3 add to OCV and/or OMCV?

The Veteran. I like this character a lot. My only real concern is the 6 Overall Skill Levels. I love the flexibility it gives him in combat, but seems a bit much in regards to his skills. His weakest skill roll outside of combat will be a 17- if he puts them all in one skill with several being 19-. Maybe that’s what you are going for, it just seems high to me. Perhaps 4 OSL and 2 All Combat Skill Levels? Or 2 OSL and 4 All Combat Skill Levels? Just seems like it might be a bit more balanced to me, but maybe you wanted him to be crazy-good with his skills.

The Warrior. I know he’s doing the sword and shield combo thing, but he’s strong enough to use a Great Sword one handed without penalty, even before he takes his stone form. I think it would make more since for him to have the Bastard Sword instead of the Archer. With the B-Sword he could do 2d6k when normal and in stone form 2½d6k.

Anyway, that’s my thoughts on the characters. I gotta get back to work. Hopefully I can comment on the adventure itself later. Once again, overall I like it very much.