Support HERO Indirectly...

Ndreare

I was thinking Savage Worlds has a tool called the “One sheet Adventures”. Downloading these and reading them was enough that I bought a lot of Savage Worlds material so I could have context and convert them.

The idea would be to make an adventure that fits on 5 pages or less and include stats for any bad guys or mobs the players are expected to encounter.

I think this would be a good idea for HERO and could get people buying & playing HERO.

I am going to try and write up a couple, but while I work on a few, figured I could see if anyone else would be interested in giving it a try. Once completed we could start a new post or even give them free to HERO Games to post in a “Free” section.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Support HERO Indirectly...

Humm...I have a big question: Can this work for Champions? I mean' date=' a few new villians of 400+ points and an adventure with them in 5 pages?[/quote']

I think it's worth a try.

I don't have the skills myself, but I seem to recall back in the day at least one adventure published in a mag that was only a few pages.

Exactly. I am working fantasy myself. But when I am done I think I will try modern horror.

PS: I am learning, how bad my imagination is. Everything I write up seams so 2 dimensonal

Don't give up.

It's like what a musician friend once told me about songwriting: He had to write 10 bad ones before he could get anything good.

Furthermore, how much can one truly accomplish in 5 pages? I think minimalism is the key. Make no assumptions about setting. Imply that your adventures are skeletal; that they are to provide enough material for a GM to get an adventure going.

This makes me think of Cheap Ass Games - you provide the core pieces, they provide the rules and game-specific pieces. In your case, you provide the general adventure, key NPCs, driving motives, and maps. The GM must provide the setting, players, etc.

Don't give up.

It's like what a musician friend once told me about songwriting: He had to write 10 bad ones before he could get anything good.

Seconded. One thing about starting to write is that there is a learning curve to getting accross your vision. It takes just a bit of practice. The trick is to not get discouraged. I for one am still on my learning curve. I'm going to port an encounter I did a couple of years ago over from DnD 4e to HS this next month and I'll post it when I'm done.

Hmm... Of course if they were physical pages, you would want an even number. Maybe we would could sneak in a map as a 6th page?

So:

1. Plot outline

2. More plot

3. Main Villain (Full character sheet)

4. Other Villains (Abbreviated character sheets)

5. Other NPCs

6. Map

Maybe swap page 2 for more character sheets, but this is pushing the plot to near oblivion.

Or, of course, you could go with one page of plot, two of characters, and a map, for a total of four pages.

Something to consider: how many player characters should such a scenario be written for? If there isn't a lot of room for character sheets, either the player group would need to be small or a single sheet would need to be used for multiple bad guys. That means agents, robots, demons or some other kind of generic opponent.

That's a significant constraint.

Alternatively the PCs could be pitted against one or two more powerful foes, their own evil duplicates, or both.

The other problem is that plots will need to be fairly simple. That's not necessarily all that bad.

Incidentally, if a map is included, it will need some sort of key, which will take up room too, particularly if the map and/or tactical environment is reasonably complex.

Even a set piece fight could easily burn the amount of space we're looking at. The actual scenario/setup isn't going to be able to be very complicated unless GMs are willing and able to make it so.

Furthermore, how much can one truly accomplish in 5 pages? I think minimalism is the key. Make no assumptions about setting. Imply that your adventures are skeletal; that they are to provide enough material for a GM to get an adventure going.

This makes me think of Cheap Ass Games - you provide the core pieces, they provide the rules and game-specific pieces. In your case, you provide the general adventure, key NPCs, driving motives, and maps. The GM must provide the setting, players, etc.

Didn't AEG produce a bunch of D&D adventures that were only about 3 or 4 pages folded to look like a brochure? I think that they sold them somewhere between $2 to $5. Did those go anywhere?

D&D compact stat blocks are a lot smaller than Hero compact stat blocks, though. I think a big consideration for space would be whether you're going to provide full stats vs. asking the person to reference a rogue's gallery book or the bestiary for the stats. I think you could go with reduced stats (just combat stats and powers/abilities) for minor threats. Dedicating some pages to pre-gen PC write ups and a major villain or two seems to be inevitable.

Didn't AEG produce a bunch of D&D adventures that were only about 3 or 4 pages folded to look like a brochure? I think that they sold them somewhere between $2 to $5. Did those go anywhere?

I remember those too now that you mention them. I never bought one though (broke ass teenager then). Nice to know that there is a precedent though.

D&D compact stat blocks are a lot smaller than Hero compact stat blocks' date=' though. I think a big consideration for space would be whether you're going to provide full stats vs. asking the person to reference a rogue's gallery book or the bestiary for the stats. I think you could go with reduced stats (just combat stats and powers/abilities) for minor threats. Dedicating some pages to pre-gen PC write ups and a major villain or two seems to be inevitable.[/quote']

I wish HERO was friendlier to compression, I really do. It's a subtle detail M&M has HERO beat by a country mile.

In any case, I think it's easy enough to refer to various character sheets from HERO's published products. Champions Battlegrounds, for instance, only provided character sheets that weren't already published, and simply referred to books that had character sheets for everything else.

I think a super setting could refer to the example characters in the core rule book and add that more such characters are available in the Champions and Champions Universe book. Also recomend that if it meant as an introduction for people new to the system that the GM should make any additional PCs needed. Something like that could save a lot of space.

D&D compact stat blocks are a lot smaller than Hero compact stat blocks' date=' though. I think a big consideration for space would be whether you're going to provide full stats vs. asking the person to reference a rogue's gallery book or the bestiary for the stats. I think you could go with reduced stats (just combat stats and powers/abilities) for minor threats. Dedicating some pages to pre-gen PC write ups and a major villain or two seems to be inevitable.[/quote']I think the biggest problem with trying to compact Hero statblocks is trying to stay within the published writers' guide, which is a prerequisite for publication.

I have several. I enjoyed the stories in them, but was rather put off that most of them I found were for 10th level or higher. I would have preferred lower level/introductory adventures. Then again, my original intent was to translate them to Hero. :)

As to whether or not they "went anywhere," I have no idea. I don't see them for sale at either A-1 Comics nor Great Escape Games (the local FLGS) these days.

I think a super setting could refer to the example characters in the core rule book and add that more such characters are available in the Champions and Champions Universe book. Also recomend that if it meant as an introduction for people new to the system that the GM should make any additional PCs needed. Something like that could save a lot of space.

I've been saying this with the free Hero system genre by genre pdf Build on them, the only problem is that it is in 5th, and if we're supposed to do 6th, a minor hiccup.

I wish HERO was friendlier to compression, I really do. It's a subtle detail M&M has HERO beat by a country mile.

In any case, I think it's easy enough to refer to various character sheets from HERO's published products. Champions Battlegrounds, for instance, only provided character sheets that weren't already published, and simply referred to books that had character sheets for everything else.

If the idea is to get new players into Hero, then asking them to go buy some product to use your freebie with seems self defeating.