Low-End/Less Flashy Superpowers suggestions needed...

fbdaury

Re: Low-End/Less Flashy Superpowers suggestions needed...

I think Chris's point was that there are better ways to create equipment than with transform. Fixing something so that it works as designed or editing it in some small way seems like a good use of transform. Creating new pieces of equipment base base parts or widely altering an existing piece of equipment does seem more suited to a VPP.

Yes, I meant items.

I heavily subcribe to the rule that neitehr Transform nor Create Object should "simulate any other hero power". A VPP allows the broadest range of game mechanics:

You can use Summon/Vhecile to "build" a car. Make a HKA/HTH, 0 END for some blunt objects. Make Clairsentience for "Listenign devices", etc.

Transform easily runs into balacing problems and is heavily subject to GM interpretation.

How about someone who has the power to make people forget? I made such a mentalist named Lethe as a plot device originally (to erase peoples' memories when it was convenient), but she ended up being quite versatile although no combat monster. Some of her powers were:

Forget I'm Here: Invisibility, only vs. sentient

Forget You Are Trying to Hit Me: extra DCV

Mental Derail: Mental Paralysis, no DEF

How Did I Do That Again?: Dispel vs. any one Power, Triggered when target attempts to activate power

Amnesia: Mental Transform, only to erase memories

Eventually she gained the ability to read and recall memories, giving her Telepathy only for memories and a mental attack Recall Pain.

The first two and Nr. 4 sound like good candidates for the APG II Limitation "Psionic (-1/2)", wich requires a (human) Mind Class to be affected.

The first two and Nr. 4 sound like good candidates for the APG II Limitation "Psionic (-1/2)", wich requires a (human) Mind Class to be affected.

Good call. At the time I made her that limitation wasn't in the books, but she had a house rule limitation to cover it (I think it was even -½)

The transform isn't used to simulate powers. That's outside the scope of the build, first. Maybe I wasn't clear, but it's to simulate normal equipment, and at GM discretion, or with us of the Aid, possibly improve it.

Power idea is actually from USPDb Revised, p. 49, Assemble Machine. It's a Transform: Parts into working Machine.

You don't need a VPP. This is a NOT a gadgeteer build. It's a character who can do three things: Fix tech, make it run better, make improvised normal items. Just need to apply common sense and GM discretion to the transform.

What is always good for Low Level and not Flashy is:

A Martial Artist.

Anohter idea:

Negator; maybe Peacemaker?. Can lower the damage Blasts, punches, Killing Attack and the like do in a certain area around him. However, this also affects his allies and himself.

Simply an Area Of Effect Supress (Blast, HTH, KA, STR*) without any personal immunity.

Alternatively for an ever weaker version: He has one AOE Supress Blast; one for HTH, one for KA, one for STR* in a Multipower. This also allows a lillte bit more flexibility (only Block blast, when there are a lot of Blasters).

*only affects damage

I actually had a Martial Artist concept where the martial art is training but the extra DCs would be a Metagene ability- telekinetic combat enhancement. Maybe some MA or melee combat levels defined as precognitive ability for a non-flashy focused psion.

I actually had a Martial Artist concept where the martial art is training but the extra DCs would be a Metagene ability- telekinetic combat enhancement. Maybe some MA or melee combat levels defined as precognitive ability for a non-flashy focused psion.

I was thinking about a fighting 'savant'. Where he knows intuitivly where and how to strike/grapple/other manuever and with the precognition, knows what you are going to throw before you knew it yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

for a sf campaign with low level powers i ran up synergy basically aid(mutant/metahuman powers) with the boost effects (add/lim). The idea was simple someone who can supercharge anothers power isn't a big deal in and of themseves but have them work with the right person and whoa nelly.

The ability to breath water' date=' swim fast, and telepathically communicate with sea life. I think this power set it the epitome of low-end and less flashy. =)[/quote']

Are you suggesting that Aquaman and Superman aren't in the same league, or even within leagues of the same league? I think it is funny how people debate whether Batman and Superman are close enough in power to be on the same team, but Aquaman doesn't even enter the discussion. I guess it is just assumed that he obviously is in over his head (thank goodness for that water-breathing thing!).

Are you suggesting that Aquaman and Superman aren't in the same league' date=' or even within leagues of the same league? I think it is funny how people debate whether Batman and Superman are close enough in power to be on the same team, but Aquaman doesn't even enter the discussion. I guess it is just assumed that he obviously is in over his head (thank goodness for that water-breathing thing!).[/quote']

He has telephaty, is a decent brick and leads a super-advanced underwater soceity. And he has the trident of Poseidon. I think his depictions tend towards "comic relief" (most obvious in "Batman: Brave and the Bold" Cartoon) wich totally let's peopel forget that he has a high power level.

I liked his Justice League interpretation. He has shown a lot of teeth here - and that was just his first episode. He is a Warrior. A King (high PRE/EGO). A Blaster (using the trident).

Later he went toe-to-toe with Wonder Woman and won, just by a small use of the environment. If he is close to the oceans, his telepathy is as powerfull as a Green Lantern Ring.

Wasn't his Heroclix pretty powerful?

I think most of the Aquaman bashing goes back to his Superfriends days.

Then again, people keep saying Spider-Man is street level, even though he's probably got one of the higher point totals among the non-cosmic Marvel heroes, and probably not far behind some of them.

He has telephaty, is a decent brick and leads a super-advanced underwater soceity. And he has the trident of Poseidon. I think his depictions tend towards "comic relief" (most obvious in "Batman: Brave and the Bold" Cartoon) wich totally let's peopel forget that he has a high power level.

I liked his Justice League interpretation. He has shown a lot of teeth here - and that was just his first episode. He is a Warrior. A King (high PRE/EGO). A Blaster (using the trident).

Later he went toe-to-toe with Wonder Woman and won, just by a small use of the environment. If he is close to the oceans, his telepathy is as powerfull as a Green Lantern Ring.

don't forget his depictin in super-friends had to be watered down so to speak due to the network standards and practices of the era there wa an anti violence push on tv at the time

Wasn't his Heroclix pretty powerful?

I think most of the Aquaman bashing goes back to his Superfriends days.

Okay, yeah, this is Aquaman I am most familiar with, and on the Superfriends the writers had to invent water scenarios just so he didn't seem useless. My apologies to Aquaman fans, but I have never seen him in a situation where his role wasn't either contrived or comic.