Idea to art by Storn. Year 9

death tribble

Welcome to year 9 of the thread that keeps on giving.

So what is it all about ?

I will commission a new piece of art from Storn for probably end May and we have until then to come up with ideas for him to do. I have revised the rules from the past eight years. Some are the same but they are worth repeating.

First off people are allowed to contribute ideas BUT there is a snag.

As I am the one paying for it, I have to approve it. And Storn has to be willing to draw it. Part of the idea is to challenge the artist with something he hasn't done before or not done in a while.

Also even if the idea does not win, someone else may commission it as has happened before or Storn and I may decide to do another one from the thread which lead to Haven Walkur's Saggitarius and Bob Greenwade's Speedbump being done.

Last year's winner was Certified's Ardel Teg still visible in Storn's thread. Just look at his posts in December.

So some ground restrictions and rules.

(1) The picture has to be for Champions. It is what I play and it is in this forum that the thread is posted.

(2) Non American and non British patriots are welcome. But note, the 2008 and 2010 winners were patriots (Africa and South America). So it will be harder to convince me of a patriot as I have a British Bulldog waiting to be done. I also have over 50 American patriotic or quasi patriotic heroes from pics or that Etherio put up previously. And try naming them. Sheesh !

If you have a good idea for a non-British or non-American patriot, please post the idea.

It has proven to be easier to get a non-US patriot done as this has a great deal of novelty value for not just Storn and I but everyone else as well.

(3) I am also allowing standard gun users again as they have not won at all. However Storn remains to be convinced.

(4) Beast motifs. Probably not. I had the Lioness pic done three years ago. And have an awful load of these already. There is a Tiger Man in the works as well. There is a Badger picture in the pipeline.

(5) No Cheesecake. And anyone asking what this is risks a violent tribillating. I have more than one in the pipeline waiting completion. And other ideas pending. Therefore I will probably not be selecting one purely on cheesecake terms. I mean the Showgirl was done within the last two months people.

(6) No kid heroes/villains. I like the over 18 crowd and proper heroes such as Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman etc. Anyone even suggesting something akin to the Power R*****S will be summarily subject to a dousing with crude oil. And this year again we set you alight as well. And then dance around you invoking Mightybec.

(7) It must be something that I would want to use and something that would interest me. If not then no go ahead.

(8) Storn has certain restrictions of his own both because he will be putting the final product on his web site and has his own likes and dislikes. With this we will heed the former and indulge the latter. No Intellectual Property for example so no pics of Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Captain America.

(9) Idea can be of an agent, a normal superhero/villain or a boss/mastermind.

The Mastermind Dr Dark was finished and posted recently as was the Agent type with Jetpack. There is also a Beautiful Female Martial Artist awaiting completion so it may be worth steering clear of these. I will however be more receptive to an Agent idea as it can cover a wider field.

(10) If you want Superman, Batman or Green Lantern analogues there has to be some thing about them visually to make Storn and I want to portray it and pay for it. Remember if you don't post an idea, then it can't get done.

(11) Anyone who has had their idea done previously can apply again. There is no prejudice or bias either for or against you.

Although I would say the more visually impressive you make the details, the more likely you are to inspire the interest.

I'll post my own ideas as well plus ones from previous years that I am still willing to consider and may yet independently commission. So post your idea, if I like it then we'll proceed.

You may just have a name and we can bash ideas around about it until we get a full picture.

Of course if you don't like this approach you could always ask Storn yourself.

We have all through the months of March, April and May to post and reject ideas.

But it may take longer. And usually does.

If you posted ideas in the Create a Hero/Villain thread, try putting that in here as well.

And as I finish work in the Civil Service come the end of July I am starting this a little earlier than usual.

Re: Idea to art by Storn. Year 9

I had several ideas, most based upon Fabrica style images.

Doctor Eliott Cross the Vivisectionist. There was never a drawing for him, but several people thought he was very scary.

Doctor Crab. A mad scientist who has a crabs' arm replacing his real one.

Dreadlock. A mutant from Haiti who's dreadlocks can stretch to great lengths (based upon Medusa of the Inhumans)

El Pinquino de Paraquay-super powered wrestler

Mechanus-cosmic being who is resonsible for all robotic things in the universe

Mendok (I know, I know), a super villain with a big head plus mental powers

Ubermind (an even bigger head), with even more mental powers

Zipachna, an evil crocodile alien wearing a space suit.

Okay a got a few....

Dreadlock pg 453

El pinquino de Paraguary pg 478

Mechanus pg 439

Ubermind pg 427

Zipachna pg 401

So the penguin. Hmm, jest with me will you ?

Dreadlock. This is fairly simple but sometimes the best designs can be simplest.

Mechanus. Hmm, nice.

Zipachna. A lizard in a spacesuit. I see my influence is spreading.

Regarding Ubermind. Is he just a giant head, floating or otherwise ?

Of my own ideas.

Something new and different.

A Bollywood dancer. So there is the costume and the jewellry around the wrists, the ankles and the nose. Got the idea from seeing a picture for the Indian Superhero movie ra one

A pirate like Blackbeard so the full look, coat and hat and weapons.

A crocodile as Storn has not done one for me. Obviously this has to be supered up in some way.

And a cowboy as again I have not had that done yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I came up with one.

Chimera is a former winged hero. His wings were amputated were amputated and were replaced with mechanical tentacles (ala Doc Ock). The tentacles have snake like heads at the end rather than overt fingers. He still has some avian features; thin with broad chest, fingers resembling talons, feathers for hair(?). His costuming evokes lion imagery, thinking a lion's man around neck kind of thing.

A crocodile as Storn has not done one for me. Obviously this has to be supered up in some way.

And a cowboy as again I have not had that done yet.

Combine the two and you're golden! (I once had to modify art of an anthropomorphic aligator character so she was wearing cowgirl gear for a marketing piece.)

• 3 weeks later...

I've got another, spurred on by the off hand idea of combining White Rabbit and Stilt-Man from the 4th string villains thread. A rabbit with telescoping legs would be silly,* but there's another variation that could work...telescoping ears! That could be a fun idea :eg:

*Like that would really stop me.

Crocodilian, huh?

If you haven't done a Mesomerican theme yet, how about Cipactli? He's basically the Aztec "god" of reptiles--I didn't do much statwise, but I had him as a martial-artist/utility mage to invoke his reptilian aspects.

EDIT: I forgot one other one... a true reptile superhero--Dinosaur, who was born an American Aligator but got mutated and is now a metamorph who can tap into his dinosaurian heritage. (Yeah, yeah, I know the actual Crocodilia linage seperated from Dinosauria in the Early Cretatous, but did I care when I made this hero? :D ) Too bad I never really gave him a real workout per se; his stats are somewhere in the UberWorld database right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a tricky one:

A Patriotic hero for the Federal Repulic of Germany, similar to Captain America or Tricolour from the second Freedom Force game.

Tricky on multiple accounts:

For obvious reason showing patriotism was frowned upon for a long time.

We only have three colors and one symbol on our flag - Black, Red, Gold (often refered to as yellow).

Two of the colors (black and red) have both been used prominently between 1933-1945 and in german empire flags, so they would be a bad primary theme:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:National_flag_of_Germany_1933-1935.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_German_Reich_%281935%E2%80%931945%29.svg

One of the three colours is black - so there is little in they way of varrying colour tones for this one.

Others:

If we have anything similar to a national weapon (like Tricolours Florette), I would think it's either the greatsword/Zweihänder or longsword and shield. But I think an armed german partiot could come across as too agressive.

I am not 100% certain about the meaning of the colours, the closest I have now is from Wikipedia:

"The colours of the modern flag are associated with the republican democracy formed after World War I, and represent German unity and freedom: not only the freedom of Germany, but also the personal freedom of the German people."

The Black-Red-Gold ensign was first hoisted as the flag of the rebels of 1848. Black and gold are the heraldic colours of the Holy Roman Emperor; where the Frankfurt parliament got the red is unknown, although the major theories are laid out in the (English) wikipedia page.

If only the heroes of the Springtime of Nations had lived to see that.

Mmm....

Speculum- This being looks similar to Marvel's "The Thing" but instead of bricks, its body is made of or covered in mirror segments. Speculum appears to be faceless, having a slightly framed space forward so that it's head reflects the visage of the person it is facing. It could be a very odd robot, a 'mirror golem' or an alien lifeform of unusual crystaline make up.

I have a tricky one:

A Patriotic hero for the Federal Repulic of Germany, similar to Captain America or Tricolour from the second Freedom Force game.

Tricky on multiple accounts:

For obvious reason showing patriotism was frowned upon for a long time.

We only have three colors and one symbol on our flag - Black, Red, Gold (often refered to as yellow).

Two of the colors (black and red) have both been used prominently between 1933-1945 and in german empire flags, so they would be a bad primary theme:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:National_flag_of_Germany_1933-1935.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_German_Reich_%281935%E2%80%931945%29.svg

One of the three colours is black - so there is little in they way of varrying colour tones for this one.

Others:

If we have anything similar to a national weapon (like Tricolours Florette), I would think it's either the greatsword/Zweihänder or longsword and shield. But I think an armed german partiot could come across as too agressive.

I am not 100% certain about the meaning of the colours, the closest I have now is from Wikipedia:

"The colours of the modern flag are associated with the republican democracy formed after World War I, and represent German unity and freedom: not only the freedom of Germany, but also the personal freedom of the German people."

None of this is a problem. I have seen various pictures of Superheroes representing West Germany and then the United Germany of the 90s to date with the Black, Red and Gold colour scheme. Although I do find swords for modrn heroes a bit passe.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had another idea.

Partly inspired by commission 50, this one is also partly inspired by an old Villains and Vigilantes picture and pirate ships. What you have is a giant wooden golem which has gunports rigging the works. The gunports open to allow people inside to fire cannonballs at the enemy.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...