StrikeForce for Champions

Re: StrikeForce for Champions

I've seen a number of hardcopies of the book over the years, and they still become available from various retailers and private sellers from time to time. And yes, I have one, and no, you can't have it. :P

There was no such thing as commercially-available electronic books when Strike Force was first published. Any PDF copy would have to be manually scanned from an existing hardcopy. Unless that scan came through Aaron Allston, who has ownership of the characters, any such PDF would be illegal.

If you've already bought it, read it.

Aaron Allston wrote it about his own campaign that he was running. Loads of characters, how they interact with one-other. In some cases why they act that way.

Just a lot of good ideas with strong writing and a lot of thought behind how it works.

Has anyone ever found a PDF copy of the famous Strikeforce for sale? Would love to get a copy of it.

T-V

I don't think it exists...it sort of "pre-dates" PDFs....though I suppose the Author could re-release it as a PDF...IF the legal issues would allow....

Would someone care to elaborate what is so great about it?

It's basically a compendium of a really well run Champions campaign. So the PCs are well thought out, with lots of background and history, and they show how the characters were built both at the start of the campaign at how they looked at the end of it. Lots of narrative of how things played out in the campaign and why. Discussion about player interaction issues that came up during the campaign and how they handled them. And some house rules along with the reasons for them. Even though it's a bit out of date now, it's still an excellent learn-by-example sourcebook.

If you've already bought it' date=' read it. [/quote']

Sir! Yes Sir! I would if I had it but I just ordered it so I will have to wait a bit.

Aaron Allston wrote it about his own campaign that he was running. Loads of characters, how they interact with one-other. In some cases why they act that way.

Just a lot of good ideas with strong writing and a lot of thought behind how it works.

Ok thanks, will read it as soon as it arrives.

It's basically a compendium of a really well run Champions campaign. So the PCs are well thought out' date=' with lots of background and history, and they show how the characters were built both at the start of the campaign at how they looked at the end of it. Lots of narrative of how things played out in the campaign and why. Discussion about player interaction issues that came up during the campaign and how they handled them. And some house rules along with the reasons for them. Even though it's a bit out of date now, it's still an excellent learn-by-example sourcebook.[/quote']

Intriguing! Sounds like good stuff. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I've seen a number of hardcopies of the book over the years, and they still become available from various retailers and private sellers from time to time. And yes, I have one, and no, you can't have it. :P

There was no such thing as commercially-available electronic books when Strike Force was first published. Any PDF copy would have to be manually scanned from an existing hardcopy. Unless that scan came through Aaron Allston, who has ownership of the characters, any such PDF would be illegal.

Doesn't this really depend on the Contract that Aaron Allston had with Hero Game for publishing? I was thinking that they might still have the rights to sell the book that he already wrote for them. That would depend on the contract.

re:PDF's of the work. The book was computer typeset. So there either is or was either Pagemaker or QuarkXPress files of the book. They would have used those products to create high resolution pages that the printer would then photograph to make plates.

This is why I asked the folk in the Company. They might know. Also if they were able to sell the original PDF, they could possibly send royalty payments to the Estate (assuming that there was a clause for Royalties in his contract for the book).

I seriously doubt the prospects for a PDF of the Strike Force book earning enough money to be worth the effort. Yes, it has a reputation among hard-core Champions fans, but let's face it, that's not a large market. Collectors love the original because it has a cachet and is in limited numbers, but collectors are an even smaller subset of an already small group. When you come down to it, it's a thirty-year-old book using a long-antiquated version of the HERO System.

Don't get me wrong, I love Strike Force. You'll have to pry my copy from my cold, dead hands. But I bought it when it was first published. It's part of my memories and evolution as a gamer. I seriously doubt newer HERO players will react to it the same way.

I am starting to think that Hero should be looking at it's past. The game is over 30 years old now and many of the old products are getting hard to find and are decaying. I keep thinking about the fact that I can go onto Far Future's website and buy PDF's of every edition of every RPG that GDW ever published. This is our history, it would be a huge shame to allow it all to decay into nothing. Far futures also sells individual books on DriveThruRPG. Heck even Hasbro has gotten into the act and released PDF's of lots of their earlier works.

I know that Hero Games has limited money, but we have a fanbase that is at least as fanatical as the Traveller Fanbase. We should be able to get some Community involvement in getting some of these long out of print books out as PDFs. Like I was saying a lot of the stuff should exist on SOMEone's hard drive as Pagelayout files. Those should be pretty easy to turn into PDF's Adobe's tools for doing so are pretty robust and easy to use.

I think you underestimate how much call people have for this stuff. We get people on this board all of the time asking for earlier editions. It would be great to be able to point them towards a PDF (or even a Print on Demand) option for them.